2017 14" Dell Latitude 7480 + [email protected] (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [TobyB]  

RSS

TobyB
(@tobyb)
Eminent Member
May 28, 2018 5:55 pm  

System specs: Dell Latitude 7480, Core i7-6600U, 16GB, Win10, 2C L6340, dGPU HD520

eGPU hardware: XG Station Pro, Vega56, 50cm cable that came with Tekq rapid.

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps: Install GPU in enclosure install drivers.

Benchmarks:

Unigine Heaven @1080p 117.5fps loopback
GeekBench OpenCL 171k
CineBench r15 87fps

Thanks to work for funding new laptop 🙂

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
ohmpiTompi
(@ohmpitompi)
June 10, 2018 11:42 pm  

does this model have 4lanes?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
pthr
 pthr
(@pthr)
June 16, 2018 11:47 am  

Yes, it hat 4lanes. I have the the same Latitude with an Zotac Amp Box mini and a GTX 1060 3GB. I'm not too happy with the performance. I think performance is limited to the CPU for gaming. Benchmarks though were promising.

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
June 16, 2018 3:10 pm  

@TobyB:  There are ways to improve performance:
      - use display connected directly to your Vega (eGPU), and make sure you are in using Extended desktop, and your eGPU connected display is the Main. You can easily do it via Windows Display Settings
     - us the latest Adrenalin drivers from AMD.com 
    - minimize the number of applications running on background (to reduce the load on CPU). This is done in two ways:
         - click on search, type "Background Apps", and you will see a long list of things Microsoft decided to run on the background
        - start Task Manager, go to Startup, and clean up there

You can also tweak PCIe power management  settings in Advanced Power Options
The last step - which is totally optional -  is to push your Vega56 a little bit. Start Radeon Settings -> navigate to Wattman -> increase the power limit +25% or a more, maybe increase clocks by few percent - and then run heavy applications to ensure the stability.

Give it a try and let us know. 

ReplyQuote