Setup & Software Discussions
2014 14" Dell Latitude E7450 [5th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.5c)...

2014 14" Dell Latitude E7450 [5th,2C,U] + GTX 1070 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 [rouzib]  

RSS

rouzib
(@rouzib)

System specs 

Dell Latitude e7450 14inch

CPU: i7-5600u@2,60Ghz

iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 5500

Windows 10

eGPU hardware 

EXP GDC V8.5c M.2 (NGFF)

Aorus GTX 1070 8Gb (rev.02)

EVGA br 450w

Hardware pictures  

Installation steps 

The installation went really well. I plugged the GTX in the EXP GDC dock and putted the 20 pin connector and the 4 pin for the CPU into the dock via the cable coming with the EXP GDC. I then connected the card to the power supply with a 8 pin and a 6 pin. Finally, I replaced my LAN card with the connector and plugged the HDMI cable into the Beast.

When I booted my laptop, the lights on the graphics card started. Because I had already made the setup with a GTX 970, I already had the drivers but they were outdated. I then updated my drivers in the device manager menu and after I restarted my computer, the graphics card showed error 43. I downloaded The error 43 patch and it worked. 

Benchmarks

Cuda-z :

On internal display, I get around 6000 on time strike .(6068)
I get around 9000 on the external display. (9357) 
These results are poor because of my CPU. 
On sky diver, the 1070 alone does 50k for a total score of 19k. 

Comments 

After 10 min I used the graphics card in a benchmark, I got a blue screen with VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and it said that NVLDDMKM.SYS was the problem. When I booted again, the card showed error 43 again and I couldn’t make it work again. I restarted several time and fixed it to, but every time, I get a blue screen after I put some load on the GPU. Also, I wanted to test the GPU on an external monitor, but as I plug the HDMI cable in the 1070, I get the failure again, instantly.

I tried :

Updating the drivers- didn’t worked.

Using gigabyte provided drivers- didn’t worked.

To get rid of error 43, I uninstall all drivers and graphics card, reboot, reinstall all the drivers and apply nvidia-error43-fixer .

EDIT : Everything is stable, except when I try to plug the power cable to my laptop. The 1070 crashes immediately when I put it under load in these conditions? Does anyone know what could cause this issue? Thank you.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Dell E7450 (i7-5600u) + GTX1070 on EXP GDC Beast 8.5c
Ryzen 9 3900x + GTX1070

ReplyQuote
NMCCAI1989
(@nmccai1989)

@rouzib

Did you ever get this to work? 

I have the same laptop as you for work and just got 2 Dell 49" ultrawides (one for home and one for the office). I cannot push the full resolution using the intel 5500, so I've been looking into eGPUs for it. Your post is the only relevant thing I've found so far. Everything else I've read says that it's not possible because the laptop doesnt have a PCI express card slot or thunderbolt...

I would love get some more information from you on this if possible. Any thing would be greatly appreciated!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
rouzib
(@rouzib)

@nmccai1989

It absolutely worked, but I had one issue; I couldn't charge my laptop while having the egpu on. However, I think it is only a ground problem since I was able to make it work just fine on other power outlets.

If you have any questions about how to make it work, I can absolutely help you.

Ryzen 9 3900x + GTX1070

ReplyQuote
NMCCAI1989
(@nmccai1989)

@rouzib

That’s awesome! Thanks for the response. I’ll be sure to update this post once I start working on it.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
rouzib
(@rouzib)

@nmccai1989

Good luck, and don't forget to get the ngff version of the dock.  That is if you have the exact same laptop as I do. I recommend checking to be sure.

Ryzen 9 3900x + GTX1070

ReplyQuote