2016 Dell Optiplex 3040 Micro (SFF) + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10  

RSS

pogz
 pogz
(@pogz)
Eminent Member
March 5, 2018 2:14 pm  

System specs

Dell Optiplex 3040m
Intel Core i5 6500T 2.5GHz
12 GB DDR3 RAM
Kingston SSDNow 300 240 GB
Windows 10 Pro
Samsung T260HD 1920×1200

eGPU hardware

EXP GDC Beast 8.5c
NGFF Cable
Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 Mini 6GB
DeepCool DE-500

Installation steps

Just like the Optiplex 3020 and 3050 that came before this, the installation is as straightforward as it can be. Remove the hard disk tray, plug in the EXP GDC Beast NGFF connector, return the hard disk tray, plug in the monitor to the video card and all the necessary EXP connections and boot the machine. Upon booting to Windows, I just installed the NVidia drivers and we're all set. Simple, easy, breezy.

Benchmarks

CudaZ After (doesnt work with internal graphics)

Final Thoughts

Just like the 3050 and the 3020, these Optiplex Micro form factor machines are awesome for DIY egpu support. If you're planning to pick one up, I do suggest the 3050 (i7 version) and make sure it has the M.2 ssd slot. I have yet to test the ADT implementation for that yet but I assume it would be faster than the NGFF port I had on these machines. The only games I tested for this 3040 was GTA 5 which performed pretty well and PUBG which also performed great depending on your configuration (using the GeForce Experience suggested settings would probably get you more mileage).

Nando advised that these NGFF ports are not being utilized fully. I have yet to study and figure out how to tinker with the BIOS to unlock the full speed. Theres no simple on/off switch in the BIOS and I think it would take me a bit more time to figure it out. Probably soon. 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote