2017 15" Dell Precision 5520 M1200 + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box) + Win10 [adamdavi3s]^  

RSS

adamdavi3s
(@adamdavi3s)
December 1, 2017 3:12 am  

Hi All,

First post, hoping I can improve on this! Also the first precision 5520 I think, I struggled to find info on this although a lot of comparisons can be drawn to the XPs15 (which is limited to 2 thunderbolt lanes- just figuring out what this one has) According to this it is only two which seems dumb for such an expensive machine, but Dell right?

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/qna44089/thunderbolt-3-40gbps-data-transfer-rate?lang=en

However didn't benchmark so well, so digging into it to see why:  http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/6067425Aorus was plug and play to the 5520 after getting the driver from their website, runs my oculus just great! The laptop reported that it couldn't run an eGpu but seems to work.

Benchmarks on the internal and external screens, sorry slightly different settings for some reason but you get the idea!

To do:

- Get it running the internal screen, haven't figured that one out yet Runs, just slowly. Have to choose which card to run the application on due to the internal nvidia card

- Sort out a utility to adjust fans / LEDs Haven't got the utility to work with this laptop except to adjust the fan speed? On my latitide 7370 (4lanes- no internal nvidia) the utility works fine to change settings which thankfully the box remebers

- HDMI works but haven’t yet got the display ports to work-  Seem to be working OK now

- Oculus rift on HDMI kept disconnecting last night (every few mins)  only had a quick test but might have been down to having a sensor plugged into the USB as well, not enough bandwidth? Plugged everything directly into the laptop with a hub and it seems to be better so assume the 2lanes of TB aren't man enough?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
J_Snow
(@j_snow)
December 14, 2017 7:30 pm  

Adam, do you have any updates to your implantation? This seems like a great improvement over the attempted tb3 dock dell is promoting. Really, doesn't cut it heavy cad work but a p4000 would. 

Thanks.  

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
adamdavi3s
(@adamdavi3s)
December 18, 2017 8:10 pm  

If you run on an external monitor then you get he full power so should be fine!

I plugged it into my latitude 7370 which has 4lanes an no NVIDIA card and I could use the software to adjust the settings of the box fine

regarding the USB, I just got a cheap hub and plugged all my oculus in via that and that seemed to solve the disconnects so I suspect the 2lanes can’t handle usb plus graphics...

I thought I’d uploaded some benchmarks but I must have forgotten, will dig them out! 

its a a good solution but think I’m going to drop a bunch on a proper lightweight gaming laptop

if all you need is monitors, I have the dell usb3 dock driving 3 1080p screens with no issues at all

ReplyQuote
synchronos
(@synchronos)
February 7, 2018 10:30 pm  

I have an identical system, Dell Precision 5520, and hooked the 1080 Gaming Box to it just this week. I'm happy to report that gaming-wise everything works perfectly. I can just hotplug it in, and the games work with it correctly. No need to disable the built-in Quadro display adapter in the Device Manager. I wonder if the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update did something with the Thunderbolt compatibility.

The only problem is that I cannot disable the LEDs in the Gaming Box. The Aorus Graphics Engine just doesn't provide the option at all. The Xtreme Engine does provide the options, but they don't affect anything.

But boy, was it difficult to get. In the Nordics, only about three web stores offer it at all, and all of them have an abysmal supply of them. I ordered mine in mid December, but in the end of January, the store predicted arrival in mid February. Fortunately, another store seemed to have exactly one in store, and even though a bit pricier, bought that instead.

ReplyQuote
(@chase_wortman)
April 2, 2018 10:05 pm  

Did you have to disable the Intel graphics? I have the same setup and was getting jerky performance on an external screen through the egpu until I disabled the Intel graphics.  It is not too much work to disable and enable this but I was hoping that it truly would be plug and play solution.

ReplyQuote
synchronos
(@synchronos)
April 12, 2018 12:25 pm  

I haven't disabled either the HD Graphics or Quadro, and haven't got jerky performance. However, I enabled Thunderbolt support during boot in the BIOS settings and usually reboot to it. It might be that sometimes I've got some jerkiness after just hot-plugging it, but currently don't have fresh memories about it.

However, lately (I believe it started about three weeks ago, and at least happened concurrently with the newest updates to the GTX and Quadro drivers from Nvidia) I have got some weird issues, where the screen stops updating for some seconds. The mouse moves, but nothing else gets updated. Sound still gets played and I believe the computer itself doesn't stop doing anything. This only happens when I'm using the Gaming Box, not when I just use the laptop.

The issue is especially bad if I run the Aorus Graphics Engine, which makes it happen constantly (runs for a couple of seconds, then stops for a couple of seconds).

ReplyQuote
synchronos
(@synchronos)
April 13, 2018 11:52 am  

I think we might be talking about the same jerkiness, as I now tried disabling the HD Graphics (and Quadro) from the device manager, and the jerkiness I described went away. the Aorus Graphics Engine now again doesn't make the computer unusable. (I also got the same effect by running CPUID HWMonitor, but no longer.) Do you, Chase, use the Aorus Graphics Engine, and if you close it, does most of the jerkiness go away?

But the weird thing is that this isn't something that I had just a month ago, so it is unclear what is producing it. It might have something to do with polling the GPU for some data, as both those programs do that, and every second. My hopes are that it came with the GTX driver update and would go away with a later update. Right now, I'm not in the mood to try and roll back drivers for every device until it goes away.

ReplyQuote
synchronos
(@synchronos)
June 28, 2018 4:42 pm  

I've had the Windows 10 Spring 2018 Update for a week now, and it's now safe to say that the short freezes with both the Intel HD Graphics and the Gaming Box's GTX 1080 enabled have completely vanished. Although, I can't totally rule out it was some recent GTX driver update, but I think it was the Windows update.

ReplyQuote