- Connect PSU 24pin to ADT-Link, PSU PCIe 8pin and 8pin to GPU, Switch Jumper on ADT-Link R43SG SW1 to 2 (Power Supply always on, to detect GPU)
- Check device manager if GPU found (if not test M.2 with a drive, etc.)
- Install latest Nvidia driver
- Restart (triggering error43 is mandatory, yellow triangle in device manager)
- Run nvidia-error43-fixer
~21% loss M.2 vs. desktop GPU usage, ~21% faster than TB3
- JEYI Leidian TB3 enclosure (79 USD + 13 EUR customs) for Notebook portability and ease of use. It enables jumper on ADT-Link R43SG SW1 to remain in position 1 (auto turn off) and doesn't trigger error43, enabling seamless nvidia update experience and actual plug and play, for severe GPU performance cut (-45.6%) https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/19405015/spy/15023917
@4567-dll, Great job 👏 I have been waiting to see m.2 performance of rtx 3080. Could you please add some game performance with and without rtx/dlls by confirming that you have 32gbps 4x3.0 pciex bandwidth
@fotoroman, thank you. no, my 4k city in Anno 1800 is burning :- ) you can compare the results to 32Gbps-TB3 builds and see it's significantly faster https://egpu.io/best-external-graphics-card-builds/
@4567-dll, so you are happy with your egpu game performance yes I know that post but that comparison was done with 1080ti, can we say that m.2 egpu performance of rtx3080 does not experiencing more than 20 percent performance lost?
No you can't say that. But you can compare the Timespy gpu.io builds benchmarks, and 3080 Desktop benchmarks, it averages about 21%. Further than that, I'd stop wasting time and have fun. It will blow 1660ti out of the water. This build is 100 EUR, if you don't like it just sell the GPU.
100% GPU Desktop performance
~78% GPU Notebook M.2 performance
~63% GPU Notebook TB3 performance (~20% less than M.2 performance)
So I have 4 lane 32Gb TB3. Are we 100% sure I should be looking at ~20% boost just by swapping my interface to an M.2 4 lane 32Gb NVMe slot? We aren't talking 2 lane TB3 vs 4 lane M.2 here possibly?
@flows, there are some benchmarks that do better with PCIe 3.0 x1 compared to Thunderbolt 3.
These were done more than 3 years ago though. Maybe we need updates with Ice Lake and Tiger Lake and newer GPUs.
@4567-dll, I'm having problems with this EGPU the GPU is working normally using 96% of its capacity, but the CPU is using 5% in the frequency of 0.56 Ghz! without the EGPU connected at 1% the usage reaches 1.51 Ghz on the chipset, is there any solution for this problem