2015 15" Dell XPS 9550 GTX960M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [benegpu]^  

RSS

(@benegpu)
August 14, 2017 11:31 pm  

Hi guys,

out of frustration about my overheating piece of sh** XPS 15 i recently purchased an Akitio Node and a MSI 1080Ti Aero OC (pretty much the "cheapest" 1080Ti i could find) to go with it. And who would've thought, it turned out really well despite  the X2-PCIe bottleneck of the XPS! I just updated my Thunderbolt firmware and drivers, Node firmware and connected that beast to the XPS.... then i just had to skip that"eGPUs are not supported on your computer" message and finally install the lastest Nvidia drivers and boom...everything works just as expected.

The only real issue i had was MSI afterburner randomly OCing the 1080Ti to +1000MHz Chip/Mem which, of course, crashed the whole system.

I didn't really do a lot of benchmarking yet but here are at least some Unigine Heaven and Fire Strike Ultra screenshots:

Also, i did one test so far on how much preformance would drop if i connect multiple monitors to the GPU an this his what i got with 1x 4k Panel @60Hz via DP, 1 1080p Monitor via DP mirrored to my my 1080p TV (HDMI) and the XPS's internal display (hopefully) running off the iGPU:

Full system specs:

Dell XPS 15 9550 

- Core i7 6700HQ

- 20 GB DDR4-2133

- GTX 960m (disabled, obviously)

- 512GB Samsung 950pro Nvme SSD

- 1TB Samsung 850Evo SSD

- 1920x1080 FHD Panel

Akitio Node 

- MSI GTX1080Ti Aero OC

- Stock fans (it’s very loud)

Connected Monitors:

- 27” LG 4k IPS Monitor

- 24” Dell FHD IPS Monitor

- 46” Philips FHD TV

- internal XPS FHD Display

Let me know if i should test anything else 🙂

2015 15" Dell XPS 9550 GTX960M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
karit.ruks
(@karit-ruks)
September 6, 2017 3:14 pm  

Hi,

I am planning to purchase the Akitio Node for XPS 15 9550. But it lacks any port apart from the single TB3 connection. So I was thinking of connecting the Node to a TB3 Hub and the Hub to the laptop to add extra ports and reducing the number of connections to my laptop to 1 cable. Would you happen to know if this setup would work?

Thanks!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@benegpu)
September 8, 2017 5:01 pm  

No, don't do that. It dramatically decreases bandwith. The XPS's TB Port works already at half the usual TB3 bandwith and can only handle the GPU and nothing else without massive performance cut

2015 15" Dell XPS 9550 GTX960M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10

ReplyQuote
Smgorman79
(@smgorman79)
September 14, 2017 7:56 pm  

Hi benegpu, I am looking into getting an egpu & am deciding between the akitio node & the sonnet breakaway box.

can you let me know how well the setup runs the internal screen for playing games like mass effect andromeda & deus ex mankind divided.

Thanks

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mikmeh
(@mikmeh)
September 15, 2018 1:26 am  

When you plugged in your Akito Node did it detect the node or the GPU or both? I'm having an issue with my XPS 9550 + Akito Node + GTX 970. Detects node but not GPU.

ReplyQuote