2015 15" Dell XPS 15 9550 GTX960M + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Puck) + Win10  

RSS

pocket_geek
(@pocket_geek)
March 2, 2018 5:54 am  

System specs:
Dell XPS 15 9550, I7-6700HQ, 32GB ram, 1TB SSD, Intel WIFI, Built in Intel HD530 and NVIDIA 960m.  Windows 10 1709 64bit.

eGPU hardware:
Sonnet Technologies RX570 eGFX Breakaway Puck

Hardware pictures:
Full Setup 
Poor Cable Management
Attached Devices
Thunderbolt Details
960m Disabled

Installation steps:
This was a clean install of Windows 10 1709 + all updates.  Installed latest Dell thunderbolt drivers and the latest video drivers from Intel and Nvidia's websites.  The rest was basically plug and play.  Once the system detected the breakaway box I installed the latest AMD Drivers then disabled the 960m in the device manager.

Benchmarks:
AIDA64 GPGPU

External Display 3DMARK Benchmarks:
API Overhead
Fire Strike
Fire Strike Ultra
Time Spy Extreme
Time Spy

Internal Display 3DMARK Benchmarks:
API Overhead
Fire Strike
Fire Strike Ultra
Time Spy Extreme
Time Spy

Comments:
This lets me connect an obscene number of monitors to my laptop, 4 to the Breakaway Puck, 1 to the laptop + the built in screen.  I generally run (just) 4 external monitors at a time, one hanging on the wall for my home automation and video camera feeds and everything else on the other 3 monitors.  I do linux/unix/network/vSphere/BigIP admin work so the more room for terminal sessions the better.  

On the rare occasion I do game this has plenty power at 1080p, it does get loud though.  During non-gaming use the fan stops so it's silent.  

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote