2017 15" Dell XPS 9560 + [email protected] (Asus ROG XG Station 2) + Win10 [jackeyjoe]^  

RSS

jackeyjoe
(@jackeyjoe)
March 8, 2017 12:03 pm  

all, considering I seem to be one of the only ones with an XG Station, it’s about time I created an implementation guide.
First things first, everything I’m using:

Notebook

Dell XPS 15 9560

•        Intel i7 7700HQ
  •         32GB RAM
  •        Intel 630/nvidia GTX1050
  •         15” 4k display
  •        Non-fingerprint reader version

eGPU gear

Setting it up:

As this is a windows machine, software wise this setup is easy to work with, well, since I received a firmware update from Asus to add support(TI83 controllers require a firmware update to work on non-egpu certified laptops). If you want some further reading about me trying to get things working, have a look here.

Setup as is, note both the thunderbolt 3 cable and USB type-B. The USB type-B cable offloads any bandwidth used by the USB ports or Ethernet, giving the thunderbolt 3 cable a bit more bandwidth. I have run some quick tests with CUDA-Z, not surprisingly at idle there is no difference, with device to host pinned speeds running at 1338.63 MiB/s with USB, and 1325.11 MiB/s without. When copying a large file across the network at gigabit speeds highlights the difference more, USB allows 1301.92 MiB/s, without leads to 1194.05 MiB/s. This confirms that there is a benefit to the USB type-B cable, especially with a device like the XPS 15 with is severely bandwidth limited. Asus is not just piping all data through the thunderbolt port and doing some magic behind the scenes!

At this point things work well as far as hot plugging goes, in fact the first issue occurred when I went to write this(and lost everything I had!), I was moving cables for photos and couldn’t get display to show on either screens. Otherwise, I am having several driver issues, I generally have to disable the intel iGPU when running the GTX1080, lest I have issues(chromium based browsers have videos stutter with all current intel drivers). An easy fix, but annoying. If anybody has some suggestions here, it’d be much appreciated.

Some more photos below:

And the imgur album I’d uploaded from when I’d first received it.

Another odd thing I’ve noticed, unlike the razer core I had in my possession for a short while, it still supplies power to the GPU when a laptop isn’t connected or off. This means that the LED’s are on all the time, as I sleep in the same room as my PC it is incredibly annoying. I am thinking I might just try and figure out where they plug into the GPU, and just leave them unplugged.

Gaming experience

At this point I have only had the opportunity to run Rise of the Tomb Raider through its paces, I will get through some other games over the next few days(BF1, titanfall 2, hitman and dirt rally probably).

Tomb Raider 4k internal: 29.55 FPS
Tomb Raider 4k external: 38.42 FPS
Tomb Raider 1080p internal: 56.45 FPS
Tomb Raider 1080p external: 67.83 FPS

This was DX12 everything maxed but FXAA and vsync off with the USB-B cable connected.  For my use case (4k external) this puts me 5-7 FPS behind what reviewers are getting online(some don't state settings annoyingly), which is acceptable losses for me.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

AquaeAtrae, enjoy, theitsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
March 10, 2017 4:59 pm  

I'm very glad to see your setup working and the responses from big manufacturers. Hopefully Intel and other big players take notice and provide more timely support for eGPU.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"!

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
AquaeAtrae
(@aquaeatrae)
Eminent Member
March 12, 2017 6:23 pm  

Nice post @jackeyjoe. Thanks!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
KOAO
 KOAO
(@koao)
March 20, 2017 12:36 am  

Where were you able to purchase it? Because I cannot for the life of me find anywhere to purchase this, or the Akitio Thunder 3

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 20, 2017 12:45 am  
Posted by: KOAO

Where were you able to purchase it? Because I cannot for the life of me find anywhere to purchase this, or the Akitio Thunder 3

The CN tmall and jd.com links to purchase the XG Station 2 are linked from https://egpu.io/external-gpu-buyers-guide-2017/#tb3-enclosures . Those links supplied by jackeyjoe via PM.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
KOAO
 KOAO
(@koao)
March 20, 2017 9:10 am  

Ah, fair enough. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

ReplyQuote
polo
 polo
(@polo)
March 28, 2017 6:54 pm  

what about fan noise? still running even in low usage(PSU/chassis fan)? how audible?

P648-M+BL2420PT Arch user.

ReplyQuote
jackeyjoe
(@jackeyjoe)
March 29, 2017 1:05 am  
Posted by: polo

what about fan noise? still running even in low usage(PSU/chassis fan)? how audible?

Quiet, but it's still there. As far as I can tell the PSU fan runs at all times, the chassis fans are off at idle but it doesn't take much to get them spinning.

ReplyQuote
fireNice
(@firenice)
April 2, 2017 4:53 am  

@jackeyjoe

Have you had a chance to test the other games that you listed here?

At this point I have only had the opportunity to run Rise of the Tomb Raider through its paces, I will get through some other games over the next few days(BF1, titanfall 2, hitman and dirt rally probably).

what were your findings? Do you think then that an egpu is a definite improvement to the internal 1050 provided in the xps?

thanks.

ReplyQuote
jackeyjoe
(@jackeyjoe)
April 2, 2017 5:08 am  

Had a lot going on with work, haven't really had a chance to do proper benchmarks. There is a helluva improvement over the GTX1050 though, no comparison. 4k with settings up there isn't much of a challenge for this setup, some tweaking for some games is needed but for the most part you can run them maxed, or close to it. That is pretty much impossible at 1080p, let alone 4k with the GTX1050. I only noticed a tiny performance drop coming from a desktop with the GTX1080 in games(if any), but everything else seems more responsive. Probably some new kaby lake trickery. 

AquaeAtrae liked
ReplyQuote
fireNice
(@firenice)
April 3, 2017 1:32 am  
Posted by: jackeyjoe

Had a lot going on with work, haven't really had a chance to do proper benchmarks. There is a helluva improvement over the GTX1050 though, no comparison. 4k with settings up there isn't much of a challenge for this setup, some tweaking for some games is needed but for the most part you can run them maxed, or close to it. That is pretty much impossible at 1080p, let alone 4k with the GTX1050. I only noticed a tiny performance drop coming from a desktop with the GTX1080 in games(if any), but everything else seems more responsive. Probably some new kaby lake trickery. 

Thanks for the reply. So the investment is worth it.

ReplyQuote
andyc7454
(@andyc7454)
May 29, 2017 8:53 pm  

Hi , I have a skull canyon and thinking of getting the asus xg station 2 as well, but looking into your posts.Do you recommend getting a gtx 1080 for this?

ReplyQuote
AlexFNajjar
(@alexfnajjar)
November 13, 2017 1:17 am  

Hi,

Thanks for your post, I have a XPS15 9560 and aim to get the ROG Station 2 as well.

Questions:

• Does the XPS15 get charge correctly through the TB3 cable?
  • Are you experiencing issues with waking up your laptop with the mouse / keyboard? (do you mind noting if you have connected them to your laptop or ROG station, and if it is via Bluetooth or cable)
  • Have you picked up on any improvements since your last post?

Thanks again.

ReplyQuote