2017 15" Dell XPS 15 9560 + [email protected] (Razer Core) + Win10 [Dippyskoodlez]^ // Fantastic experience!  

RSS

Dippyskoodlez
(@dippyskoodlez)
April 26, 2017 5:42 am  

I'll start with what everyone's wanting. Specs:

Dell XPS 15 9560

7700HQ

32gb Ram

GTX 1050

1tb SSD

4k display

Razer Core

GTX 1080 Ti FE -> 2x Dell P2715Q 4k via DisplayPort.

Setup:

This is starting from the fresh dell install image.

Installed Razer Synapse and Razer GPU switcher (don't bother with this step). Have newest Nvidia drivers downloaded and ready.

Enter EFI -> Enabled the two unchecked Thunderbolt feature checkboxes (*one box does enable a security flaw, if that is a concern to you)

Boot to windows.

Plug in Core. You should get 3 new device popups and Razer Synapse should ping you and start doing it's thing. When it's done it'll tell you it doesn't have GPU drivers. Click okay, and the new device boxes should have disappeared.

Install Nvidia driver.

Reboot

Done! I have no issues with reboots, and even the DELL logo on boot shows up on my external displays like a Desktop PC. Windows updates, etc have not given me any issue. Also updated to the creators update of win10 without any issue.

After reboot, you'll probably just need to reconfigure the display layout - use the windows display management, as I couldn't get the Nvidia panel to split my two displays. I disable my internal display for my configuration.

Here is just a bone stock untweaked firestrike Extreme with and without eGPU.

http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/12440654/fs/12439072

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ed_co, darren and Yukikaze liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
April 26, 2017 5:52 am  

Mining Capsuleer detected. Alert the Gank Squads. 😀

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Dippyskoodlez
(@dippyskoodlez)
April 26, 2017 5:53 am  

Mining is great at work when I have nothing to do 😀

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
April 26, 2017 6:00 am  

No argument there. I no longer play EVE, but I spent a lot of time reading books with multiple clients mining in the background in my day.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
darren
(@darrenk)
Eminent Member
April 26, 2017 4:54 pm  

Thanks for the writeup!  Thinking of grabbing the XPS 15 and pairing with Core, Node or other eGPU.

Did you get the Costco model?  How do you like it overall?

You say to skip the Razer switcher step, is that not needed?  Is it easy enough to enable eGPU and disable internal 1050 without it?

I'd love to see a fps comparison of the internal 1050 at 1080p vs. eGPU in any modern title if you get around to it:)

Any issues with using the ethernet or USB ports on the Core?

ReplyQuote
Dippyskoodlez
(@dippyskoodlez)
April 27, 2017 12:35 am  

I ignore the switcher setup because I don't use the 1050 for any acceleration - internal lcd is fine off the intel for me. The 1080 Ti is driving 2x 4k's as it is for primary work. The internal LCD is just a TV when docked. 

I did not get the costco model, mine was off the Dell website custom configured. Overall it's a fantastic device as long as you understand the tradeoffs. Coming from my rMBP, the laptop itself is thicker, and losing Magsafe kinda sucks but in trade the Infinity edge LCD is absolutely beautiful.  

I have had one issue with the internal Core USB - my Logitech G910 will intermittently... pause? and just stop responding but then continues to operate normally about 15 sec later. This was entirely resolved by plugging in directly to the laptop. The Ethernet has had no problem pushing full gigabit speeds so far. According to the topology OS X showed, the Ethernet is a usb 3.0 or 3.1 device, so this is set up proper.

I'll fire up some 1080 game benchmarks when I undock and get some time, I wouldn't expect anything crazy as the 1050 will probably do pretty well overall still. It's really about that extra pixel muscle at 4k for me.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
April 27, 2017 1:11 am  

Beautiful, one of the best rigs ever. If XPS 15 worked with TB3 eGPU in macOS, definitely I would consider to replace my mbpr 15" 2013...

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX1080Ti GAMING [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13.5 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Dippyskoodlez
(@dippyskoodlez)
April 27, 2017 3:40 am  
Posted by: ed_co

Beautiful, one of the best rigs ever. If XPS 15 worked with TB3 eGPU in macOS, definitely I would consider to replace my mbpr 15" 2013...

This was something that I didn't like about moving from my rMBP to a non mac, but I'll be honest. The only GPU demanding applications in OS X outside of Compute/Workstation tasks, Windows does so much better it's not really even worthwhile at this point to use OS X for gaming. 🙁 Eve and FFXIV (and so many other games) are just Wine containers that put a substantial strain on a CPU that is already having a hard time.

ReplyQuote
ed_co
(@ed_co)
Reputable Member
April 27, 2017 3:58 pm  
Posted by: Dippyskoodlez

Posted by: ed_co

This was something that I didn't like about moving from my rMBP to a non mac, but I'll be honest. The only GPU demanding applications in OS X outside of Compute/Workstation tasks, Windows does so much better it's not really even worthwhile at this point to use OS X for gaming. 🙁 Eve and FFXIV (and so many other games) are just Wine containers that put a substantial strain on a CPU that is already having a hard time.

But I am not planning to use it for gaming. Just for 3D content generation... and Windows is not really reliable in certain things...

mid-2017 Macbook Pro RP560 + MSI GTX1080Ti GAMING [email protected] (Mantiz Venus) + macOS10.13.5 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Dippyskoodlez
(@dippyskoodlez)
April 30, 2017 5:40 am  

Timespy numbers:  http://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/1665359/spy/1663757

Firestrike Extreme:  http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/12439072/fs/12440654

Firestrike:  http://www.3dmark.com/compare/fs/12492801/fs/12490063

Benchmark spreadsheet WIP:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13fCKeN_I71qn-eQh2Iv_suVADKhzDmD8vw3rtmjnars/edit?usp=sharing

ReplyQuote