Setup & Software Discussions
2016 13" Dell XPS 13 9360 [7th,2C,U] + GTX [email protected] (Powercolor Devil Box...

2016 13" Dell XPS 13 9360 [7th,2C,U] + GTX [email protected] (Powercolor Devil Box) + Win10 [twentyeight]  

RSS

twentyeight
(@twentyeight)

System specs
Laptop: Dell XPS 9360
CPU: i5-7200U
RAM: 8GB

eGPU hardware
Enclosure: PowerColor DEVIL BOX
GPU: KFA2 GTX 970

Hardware pictures
fff

Installation steps
I bought this to play games and replace my PC but I was running Ubuntu 18.04 so I installed a clean version of Windows 10 using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.
Unfortunately, when I was trying to install the Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver from the Dell website, I was getting an error (my solutions will be below).

Step 1: Make sure the Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver is installed.
Step 2: Install the Thunderbolt3 Firmware Update.
Step 3: Plug the enclosure into the thunderbolt port of the laptop.
Step 4: Allow the device to use the thunderbolt port (right click the TB tray icon and click "show attatched devices").
Step 5: Update the firmware using the software provided by PowerColor.
Step 6: Install the Nvidia Geforce drivers.
Step 7: Install Dell Power Manager to set the "Thermal Management" to "Ultra Performance".
--

Problems and Fixes for the Steps Above
Step 1: Intel Thunderbolt Controller Driver Wouldn’t Install

If you’re getting “Thunderbolt not found” or similar, make sure that thunderbolt is enabled in the bios and the authentication / security is set to user.
I was getting an issue with the controller driver not installing:
[img] I read the logs and this was listed:
Warning: Publisher {8c2ec332-c0e1-4a25-b152-8e869fc649d7} is installed on the system. Only new values would be added. If you want to update previous settings, uninstall the manifest first.
I spent a few hours installing different drivers and combinations of older drivers, windows update, etc. I eventually gave up and decided to use the Dell SupportAssist OS recovery to create a dell image of Windows.
1: I was doing this from another PC so I entered the service tag of my Dell.
2: Click "next" then select the recovery drive
3: It will then download the image and burn it onto a USB.

Step 5: The Firmware Would Not Update (error 1603)
I was getting the error, "error while getting pd firmware version",  preventing me from updating the firmware so that I could use the enclosure.
I found a solution online that was pretty straightforward:
1: Ensure the GPU is removed from the enclosure.
2: Verify the Thunderbolt Software version is not the latest (17.4.77.400 ,A10).
3: Uninstall "Thunderbolt Software" from control panel and install a previous version, in my case version version 16.2.52.250,A00 worked.

Benchmarks
External Display

Aida GPGPU: here.
CUDA-Z: here.

Comments
Temperatures:
CPU: 88-92C (has been repasted with MX-4)
GPU: 65C (was around 70-80C when I had it in my desktop, although that was slightly starved being in a ThermalTake Core G3)

Noise:
I have just ordered some new fans for the system as the unit is very loud. Currently, my GPU only gets to around Gaming wise, my laptop has surprosed me and seems so far rather capable.

Notes:
This could be a bug with mine, but after it was all set up I unplugged the LEDs because they were slightly blinding. Doing this caused the GPU and SSD in the enclosure to not show up until I plugged them back in. I have ordered a molex splitter so I can power the new fans and hopefully I won't need the LEDs to be plugged in for it to work.

I'd be happy to help anyone who has any issues or would like to know more about how it performs or how I got mine to work.

This topic was modified 6 months ago

XPS 9360 8GB + PowerColor DEVIL BOX + KFA2 GTX 970

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags