2018 15" Dell XPS 9570 GTX1050Ti + [email protected] (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [roadie1]  

RSS

roadie1
(@roadie1)
August 20, 2018 2:27 pm  

I think this is one of the first published builds with a Dell XPS 9570. I'm just coming back to Windows after years on Macbooks Pro, and I'm learning about eGPUs from scratch as I go along. Please let me know if there's another benchmark you'd like me to check.

I'm not using this machine for gaming, but for job-specific 3D lighting rendering software called Capture, that runs on a DirectX-based engine. So far it's been a pretty solid improvement, though it's hard to give any benchmarks from that software, as each project within it is a custom build that loads the GPU differently.

System specs

Dell XPS 15" 9570
4K display
Intel Core i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20 GHz - stock, no undervolt
16GB RAM
1TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 1050ti MaxQ

eGPU hardware

Aorus Gaming Box 1080 8GB
50cm Thunderbolt cable (included)

Installation steps

eGPU was 100% plug-and-play, worked out of the box with zero configuration.

Benchmarks 

TIMESPY

• 1050ti onboard GPU only: 2,456
  • 1080 to external monitor: 5,700
  • 1080 to laptop screen only: 5,615

UNGINE SUPERPOSITION - 1080p Medium

• 1050ti onboard GPU only: 4,654
  • 1080 to external monitor: 12,798
  • 1080 to laptop screen only: 11,456

UNGINE SUPERPOSITION - 1080p Extreme

• 1050ti onboard GPU only: 1,142
  • 1080 to external monitor: 3,789
  • 1080 to laptop screen only: 3,351

Heaven - 1080p max settings

• 1050ti onboard GPU only: 901 - 35.8 fps - min 17.6 - max 79.7
  • 1080 to external monitor: 1,852 - 73.5 fps - min 28.0 - max 136.0
  • 1080 to laptop screen only: 1,996 - 79.2 fps - min 31.0 - max 154.6

Comments

Only issue to solve is that when I disconnect the eGPU, whether by removing the Thunderbolt cable or by disconnecting it using the Nvidia software, the laptop "loses" the onboard 1050ti and the only way to get it back is to reinstall drivers.

EDIT: It looks like the driver issue can be resolved by connecting the eGPU, and THEN reinstalling the driver for the onboard 1050ti.

In all other respects, working with this eGPU really couldn't be an easier experience.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
RimsOnAToaster
(@rimsonatoaster)
Eminent Member
August 21, 2018 4:24 pm  

Thank you so much for your contribution to the community! The 9570 is HOT right now, but the only mention of eGPU performance we've seen so far has been less than inspiring. This, however, is a great breakdown of its performance!

CTO and Founder of Shalomboy Industries

ReplyQuote
(@drew)
September 1, 2018 10:35 pm  

It sounds like you're doing the exact same thing as I am: jumping back to Windows to get CUDA and DirectX support and picking up an XPS on Dell's back to school sale. Did you have to do anything special to  get it to run on the internal display?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
AirieFenix
(@airiefenix)
September 2, 2018 10:02 pm  

Great post! Everybody is talking about how good is the 9570 but for some reason there’s not much information about its eGPU capabilities.

I’m a MacBook Pro user who’s thinking about switching back to Windows, for different reasons though, and the XPS is a serious contender. 

It’d be great if you could include some gaming benchmarks. Nothing in particular, something to be able to compare would be nice. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
September 18, 2018 7:38 pm  

@roadie1 When you have a chance, please download and run HWiNFO64 and post a screen capture to show eGPU connection.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
Codeman2005
(@codeman2005)
September 22, 2018 11:47 pm  

Thanks for the post, just picked up the Aorus Box 1080 for my 9570 based on your experience. Very pleased so far and my benchmarks matched yours almost exactly. So far running a +150 core O/C on the 1080 with no issues at all and got a few more FPS out of vantage.

ReplyQuote
shandcraig
(@shandcraig)
October 13, 2018 3:56 am  

i wanna buy this laptop to game on it alone but also to get a epgu at some point. Does this laptop cpu have issues even when its hooked up to a epgu ? I dont wanna spend all this money on this laptop to have it have a lot of cpu over heating/ bottle necking. Since someone now seems to have good results with this box and the laptop i would be interested in knowing how the cpu holds up ?

ReplyQuote
shandcraig
(@shandcraig)
October 13, 2018 9:23 pm  
Posted by: Codeman2005

Thanks for the post, just picked up the Aorus Box 1080 for my 9570 based on your experience. Very pleased so far and my benchmarks matched yours almost exactly. So far running a +150 core O/C on the 1080 with no issues at all and got a few more FPS out of vantage.

Do you know if the CPU still gets really hot in this laptop while using the egpu ? Good to know people are getting good results with the egpu but what about the processor?

ReplyQuote
roadie1
(@roadie1)
October 16, 2018 9:54 pm  

Hi folks - I'm just overseas without my EGPU, I'll get those CPU answers for you when I'm home at the end of next week!

ReplyQuote
shandcraig
(@shandcraig)
October 17, 2018 3:49 am  
Posted by: roadie1

Hi folks - I'm just overseas without my EGPU, I'll get those CPU answers for you when I'm home at the end of next week!

That would be amazing thank you !! im  getting mixed reviews on this concept with this laptop. Guy on youtube says this laptop will still throttle a lot with a egpu that he uses and other say its fine. I wanted this laptop but if it struggles with serious gaming with a EGPU i might just get a powerful msi gaming laptop.

looking forward to your cpu info when you return from your trip !

ReplyQuote
FricoRico
(@fricorico)
Eminent Member
October 25, 2018 7:51 pm  

After years of Mac and fighting for Mac eGPU support I made the switch to Windows. My work always finances my laptops so this time I chose this Dell 9570 i7-8750H, 32GB configuration.

To avoid driver issues I also bought a new eGPU, the Aorus Gaming Box 1080.

I must say, it really is a great experience. It just works out of the box. At first the 1050TI is disabled because of driver conflicts. Windows first installs old drivers, but the eGPU works fine otherwise. After updating the drivers through Gefore Experience I got both GPUs to work again.

Am really amazed, just curious about why my eGPU only supplies 65W to the laptop. The specs say it should supply 100W. Also curious to see if H2D further improves the eGPU speed (not sure if it is already installed).

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
roadie1
(@roadie1)
October 26, 2018 4:15 pm  

ReplyQuote
wintermute000
(@wintermute000)
November 24, 2018 2:51 am  

Hey a few Qs
- can I confirm you can run the 1050Ti when undocked and 1080 when docked without a problem? Is switching automatic?
- Is the 65W power delivery a problem esp. when gaming? i.e. are you draining battery when docked due to not enough charging power?
- What % benefit in FPS did you see over the 1050? I'm concerned that for XPS 15 owners, eGPU is marginal benefit as we already have an OK card?

ReplyQuote