2016 13" Dell XPS 9360 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [econhero]^  

RSS

econhero
(@econhero)
Eminent Member
July 18, 2017 4:31 pm  

Hi Dear Members,

I have been reading your posts diligently in the last few months and always wanted to try an egpu set up with my little XPS 13. Finally and thanks to the existence of this community, I pulled the trigger on the Node and wanted to try it with an old Evga GTX 770 I borrowed from my friend. Here is the story of it:

1) Put the GPU in the Node, plugged both the 8-pin and 6-pin power cables to the GPU and the Node doesn't power on (with no TB3 connection)

2) Unplug the 6-pin power cable, leave the 8-pin power in place, Node powers on.

3) With 6-pin cable detached, hot-plug Node into XPS13 and update the Node firmware.

4) At this point, Windows 10 recognizes GTX 770 in the device manager, but drivers are not installed.

5) Go to NVIDIA website to download the latest WQHL driver for the GPU, install and restart when Node is plugged in.

6) During start process the following message pops on a black screen: "Please connect the PCIe power cables ...."

7) I open the Node, plug that 6-pin power cable back in, restart the laptop.

8) That's it. It works on laptop display.

9) Connect the HDMI cable from the external display to GPU. That works too! Restarts fine into external display.

Notes: Realized that the Node PSU fan and front fan are garbage. Especially the PSU fan reminds me of a commercial aircraft. Ordered some parts from a well-known online vendor. 

Also, this morning, after a cold reboot, I got 2 freezes in a row. After that, I powered down Node during restart and powered it back on after the laptop booted into Windows. Works fine now. 

Some pictures...

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
July 18, 2017 5:23 pm  

Congrats:)

Comments:

- you should always plug all aux power on GPU. They have those 6-pin and 8-pin connectors for a reason 🙂

- eGPU boxes are not supposed to power up unless they plugged in.

Questions:

- can you go to sleep and wake up with eGPU attached?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
econhero
(@econhero)
Eminent Member
July 18, 2017 5:29 pm  

Oh yes, those pesky power cables 🙂

It wakes up from sleep just fine.

ReplyQuote