Does it make sense to upgrade my Razer Blade 2019 (i7 9750H, RTX 2070q) with a e...

Notifications
Clear all

Does it make sense to upgrade my Razer Blade 2019 (i7 9750H, RTX 2070q) with a eGPU and a RTX 3070 or 3080?  

RSS

Sergej Hans
(@sergej_hans)

Dear eGPU community,

I have a problem with my Razer Blade and this problem is that i experience FPS drops in games when playing over longer periods. The reason for that is that my processor temps spike up to 100 degree while gaming. I was able to mitigate this problem (mostly) by installing the intel ETU software and limiting the boost of the processor. 

So now I am considering to further improve the situation by upgrading the system with an eGPU (probably Razer Core with RTX 3070 or even 3080). My understanding is that I could use the Razer Core basically as a docking station. And when docked the dGPU would be not used meaning that the laptop would have more cooling capacity overall. Plus I would get a performance boost from the better GPU (in the eGPU encasement). I do understand that the perfomance would not be the same as in a comparable desktop setup.

However, the more i read about eGPUs especially in combination with 9750H the more I get the impression that to do what I describe above would not work as I hope.

Therefore my questions to the community here:

- Would the proposed setup give me a performance boost or maybe even further limit it?

Based on this report

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/razer-blade-15-base-early-2020-model-10th-6c-h-rtx-3060-ti-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-win10/

I should get a boost, unfortunately he did not report his temps.

- Am I right about my assumption regarding the cooling advantages?

- Would a cooling pad maybe be a much cheaper and better solution?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@sergej_hans, If you're using an external monitor, I think the performance improvement is worth it. The 8th-10th generation H-CPUs don't have the best Thunderbolt 3 optimization so the performance loss can be unpredictable. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote