early 2011 13" Macbook Pro + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS10.10.0 & Win7 [jamarinas]^ // MBR/BIOS mode  

RSS

jamarinas
(@jamarinas)
March 26, 2017 1:22 pm  

System

Macbook Pro 13” Early 2011 (i7-2620M, Thunderbolt 1)

RAM: 8GB (2x4GB, DDR3-1600)

Boot device: Toshiba (APPLE) SSD, 256GB

eGPU Hardware

ASUS GTX 950 Mini 2GB

Akitio Thunder2 (No Mods)

ENERMAX EG365P-VE (DIY MOLEX to Barrel Adapter, Temporary)

Software

Mac OS X 10.10

Windows 7 Pro SP1 (Bootcamp, BIOS/MBR)

DIY eGPU 1.35

ThrottleStop (to manage CPU heat, fixed it to 2.2GHz, I already replaced the TIM to Prolimatech PK-1)

OSX Installation:

For some reason, the GPU was not detected in OSX and Windows. I tried different power-on methods. Initially, I thought the Thunder2 box is defective so I tried to put an LSI RAID card inside. It got detected by both OSX and Windows.

I read somewhere a script made by goalque automates the detection and installation of an eGPU in OSX so I tried it. The GTX950 got detected and drivers got downloaded for it. I restarted to Windows and saw that the eGPU was also detected.

https://github.com/goalque/automate-eGPU

I haven’t tried using any 3D benchmark applications in OSX so I don’t know if it works. The primary use of my eGPU setup is for Windows anyway.

Windows Installation:

Why not UEFI?

Early 2011 Macbook Pros have a problem in Windows UEFI installation. The audio device is incorrectly enumerated and no driver can fix the problem. It is unusable. While there are several solutions for this, I use my laptop somewhere else so I need it to be usable with the least amount of additional equipment. My laptop has an existing Windows 7 Pro SP1 installation so I installed the eGPU here.

Since I purchased my Akitio Thunder2 late, I decided to buy DIY eGPU setup first so I can play with it. Without a working eGPU system, I played with several compaction methods. I noticed that both available compaction methods hang the system (ALL + ALL except USB+SATA+etc.etc.etc.) The only one that works is the iGPU compaction.

Update: With the suggestion of nando4, I tried the 3.87GB end-point. We found out that the GPU got allocated and the DSDT is not necessary.

(DSDT no longer required)

I decided then to explore the DSDT override and large memory. I followed the steps outlined by nando4 and with the help of the eGPU setup, I was able to have large memory.

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/

I used the INTEL method. By using the included refs.txt, I encountered 3 compile warnings. There are lines that the program cannot interpret. However, it will produce a WORKING dsdt.aml. (Well, mine works without further modifications)

DIY eGPU Setup Settings

Configure Setup 1.35->menu-based with these parameters:

1. PCI compaction->endpoint=3.87GB
  2. PCI compaction->legacy mode=selected
  3. PCI compaction->ignore:eGPU
  4. PCI compaction->Run->scope:iGPU
  5. Startup.bat->test run
  6. Chainloader->test run

Like this pic but change endpoint to be 3.87GB

Regular Bootup Process: 

1. Plug in power to Akitio box

2. Plug in Thunderbolt cable to Akitio box and Macbook Pro

3. Turn-on Macbook Pro and hold Option Key

4. While in the boot selection menu, turn-on the power to the Akitio box (the fan of the GPU should go to 100% a bit, then silent)

5. I will usually wait for 10 seconds or so (6-10 seconds should do) before selecting Bootcamp

6. If successful, the internal screen should show that it is loading Windows

On the Windows boot manager, I will select DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 -> startup.bat.

Stability Comments:

STARWARS Battlefront (2015)

*3hrs+ play, no problems

*Medium settings

*1280x800

*ThrottleStop @ 2.2GHz to manage CPU heat

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jamarinas
(@jamarinas)
March 26, 2017 1:37 pm  

Hardware Photo:

ASUS GTX950 Mini 2GB inside the Akitio Thunder2 Box

(IT FITS AND CAN BE CLOSED!)

Game in action:

STARWARS Battlefront 2015

(HD3000 can't run this because of its DX10.1 limitation)

45-60FPS depending on the map, usually 60FPS, sometimes it dips when there are a lot lot lot of players in the map

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

thor203 liked
ReplyQuote
duggoutdigger67
(@duggoutdigger67)
May 1, 2017 2:18 am  

I have an early 2011 15" Macbook Pro with the same cpu and I'm not having any luck. Did your macbook come with a dedicated GPU or just the Intel Graphics?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
May 1, 2017 2:25 am  
Posted by: duggoutdigger67

I have an early 2011 15" Macbook Pro with the same cpu and I'm not having any luck. Did your macbook come with a dedicated GPU or just the Intel Graphics?

Your 2011 15" MBP has HD6750M or HD6770M graphics. The OP's 2011 13" MBP has Intel H3000 graphics only.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
AMDYeahYouKnowMe
(@amdyeahyouknowme)
May 30, 2017 12:32 am  

I've got the 15inch 2011 MBP as well, the one with the HD6750M dGPU as well as the Intel on-chip iGPU.  Any ideas for me to get Win10 (or 8 for that matter), working with this machine and the Node/RX580 combo? If the Thunder2 would be a better choice, I could go that way as well. 

ReplyQuote
andyegoo
(@andyegoo)
August 22, 2018 10:28 am  

On the Windows boot manager, I will select DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 -> startup.bat. 
Good afternoon, how do you make this move?

ReplyQuote