2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + Radeon VII @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Co...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + Radeon VII @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 [Adrian L] // LG 27UK850 @ 3840x2160/60Hz + Windows Mixed Reality Headset @ 90Hz  

RSS

Adrian L
(@adrian_l)

System specs

Macbook Pro (15-inch Retina Early 2013), Intel HD Graphics 4000 iGPU, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650m dGPU, macOS Catalina 10.15.5

eGPU hardware

Razer Core X, ASUS AMD Radeon VII, TB2 Cable + Apple TB3 to TB2 Adapter

Hardware pictures

Installation steps (macOS only)

1. Reboot your Mac into recovery mode
  2. Hold down Command-R and press the Power button. Keep holding Command-R until the Apple logo appears.
  3. Wait for OS X to boot into the OS X Utilities window.
  4. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  5. Enter csrutil disable.
  6. Enter reboot.
  7. Install both purge-wrangler and purge-nvda
  8. Connect the eGPU to the thunderbolt 1 port with the TB3 to TB2 adaptor with a thunderbolt 2 cable that is closer to the tab key
  9. Restart your super powered mac

Benchmarks (Connected to LG 27UK850 and running @ 3840x2160/60Hz)

Shadows of the Tomb Raider @ 4k settings 44-50fps

Geekbench 5.0.4 OpenCL Score

Geekbench 5.0.4 Metal Score

Comments

For production software, if you use Sketch to open a file with hundreds of screens and use FCPX to render 4k/8k from raw footage (The built-in 650m can handle compressed 4k footage very well) then you will notice different with the eGPU

For gaming, playing AAA title in any resolution on such an old MBP with macOS was not possible but I did not want to spend ridiculous amount of money to purchase a new MBP with such a low spec. The new 2019 16 inches MBP based model has the same amount of ram and smaller SSD compare to my early 2013 15 inches MBP... the only difference is the new GPU which still can't play AAA title in 4k but only 1080p in 2019! So I decided to get an eGPU instead. The Radeon VII (ASUS) seems a better choice compare to the 5700XT because it's not only better support in macOS driver but AMD ROCm supports Radeon VII for machine learnings (not 5700XT)! 

The only issue that I have encountered is the TB1 port needs to be unplugged and plug a few times in order to get the external monitor working every time I restart my mac. 

It is working fine now with the latest purge-wrangler and purge-nvda drivers, it's very stable on both macOS and Windows

Installation steps (macOS and Windows 10)

1. Prepare a macOS Catalina or Big Sur bootable USB drive
  2. Format the entire drive to GDT in order to enable UEFI BIOS mode with Windows 10
  3. Install macOS
  4. Reboot your Mac into recovery mode by holding down Command+R buttons until the Apple logo appear
  5. Wait for macOS to boot into the OS X Utilities window.
  6. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  7. Enter csrutil disable.
  8. Enter reboot.
  9. Install both purge-wrangler and purge-nvda
  10. Connect the eGPU to the thunderbolt 1 port with the TB3 to TB2 adaptor with a thunderbolt 2 cable that is closer to the tab key
  11. Restart your Mac to ensure the eGPU is working with an external monitor
  12. Download the Windows 10 1903 v1
  13. Create two Windows 10 bootable usb with UNetbootin and Bootcamp assistant
  14. Create a new FAT or exFAT partition on macOS with disk utility tool
  15. Install Windows 10 with the usb that created with UNetbootin (the bootcamp usb is for the drivers only)
  16. Delete the new partition during windows 10 installation and install the windows on the unallocated space
  17. Disable Windows 10 auto updates
  18. Apply the DSDT patch
  19. Download and install DDU
  20. Reboot Windows into safe mode
  21. Use DDU to uninstall (clean without restart) all graphics drivers including intel, nvidia with these settings
  22. Reboot back to Windows 10 and install the latest Radeon driver

Changing startup OS:

1. The default starting OS is now Windows, if you want to change that reboot the system and hold down option key to select macOS and change startup disk
  2. You can always change it back to start with Windows, right click the bootcamp on the system tray icon and select the bootcamp control panel, select basic data partition windows and apply the settings

Windows Mixed Reality Headset:

1. If you use Windows Mixed Reality Headset or any other VR headset, make sure the external monitor is connected to the eGPU through the DP port and leave the HDMI port of the eGPU for the headset in order to to avoid the infamous wrong video card error
  2. Download the Windows Mixed reality headset driver
  3. Update the driver for HoloLens in device manager
  4. Install both Mixed Relity Check and Mixed Reality Portal apps
  5. Change the settings of the headset to 90hz and Very high quality (beta) under the portal app
  6. Install Steam and Steam VR plus Half Life: Alyx or any other VR games
  7. Have fun during covid-19 lockdown

Geekbench 5 OpenCL with Windows 10

Geekbench 5 Vlukan with Windows 10

Half-Life: Alyx at Ultra Fidelity settings

This topic was modified 3 months ago

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) + Razer Core X w/ ASUS AMD Radeon VII

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + Radeon VII @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
larami1oo
(@larami1oo)

@adrian_l

Hi Adrian.

I have a similar configuration like yours. I connected a RX 5700 graphics card inside a Razer Core X to use it with a MacBook Pro 15-inch Late 2013 NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M dGPU which has macOS Catalina 10.15.2 installed.

I only just connected the eGPU to my Thunderbolt 2 port but only the Razer Core X fan is spinning, not the ones from the graphics card. Also the eGPU is not detected by macOS Catalina. Could you please tell me if that is normal?
I haven't installed any script (purge-wrangler, set-egpu or purge-nvda)
I tried also with my Boot Camp partition on Windows and the eGPU behavior is the same (the eGPU is not detected on Windows and graphics card fans don't spin).

Also, could you please tell me if you have any issues with macOS after installing the eGPU like lose screen brightness control or not be able to put it in sleep mode?
What could you suggest me to setup the eGPU for Windows?

Thanks for your time!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Adrian L
(@adrian_l)

Hi @larami1oo,

Thanks for reaching out. First of all, you might want to check if you have connected the eGPU to your TB port through the Apple Tb3 to TB2 adapter which should be plugged into the Razer Core X TB3 connector, and then connect the adapter to your mac with an Apple TB2 to TB2 cable.

Perhaps you could try to install those 3 scripts on your mac first by disabling the SIP (System Integrity Protection) first and then reboot your system back to Catalina before installing'em to see if your eGPU enclosure and the card are working or if it's a hardware issue:

1. Turn off your Mac (Apple > Shut Down).
  2. Hold down Command-R and press the Power button. Keep holding Command-R until the Apple logo appears.
  3. Wait for OS X to boot into the OS X Utilities window.
  4. Choose Utilities > Terminal.
  5. Enter csrutil disable.
  6. Enter reboot.

Hopefully, these steps would be helpful to you. 

This post was modified 9 months ago

2013 15" MacBook Pro (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + Radeon VII @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Adrian L
(@adrian_l)

Hi @larami1oo,

I have updated the guide with Windows 10 + macOS dual boot, I hope that helps.

A

ReplyQuote