Setup & Software Discussions
2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer...

2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.3 & Win10 [england_my_city]  

RSS

england_my_city
(@england_my_city)

System specs

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
  • Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
  • iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB
  • dGPU: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
  • Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • Storage: 500gb OWC Aura Pro SSD (aftermarket part)
  • Internal panel: 15.4-inch (2880 x 1800)

eGPU hardware

Hardware / setup pics

Installation steps

• Setup
    • During this whole installation I had purge-wrangler installed for AMD (I'm not sure if this is required)
    • For this entire process, I used rEFInd but I am not 100% sure it is required. If you are having problems it might be a good idea to install it
      • If at any point when you boot it doesn't open rEFInd, you can simply reinstall it and it should pop back up at boot
      • If you need to edit files in the EFI volume (eg put a new efi file into rEFInd) use this guide

• Install Windows 10 Bootcamp in UEFI mode
    • Follow this guide and skip the Configuring Windows section at the bottom
      • You will need a >=8gb USB for the Windows 10 installer
      • You will also need a >=4gb USB for the Apple support software in the Downloading Boot Camp Drivers section and choose this USB (you cannot choose a directory as of the later versions of macOS)
      • In the Installing Boot Camp Support Software section, just plug in the USB and install the software from there
      • (There may be better ways than using two USBs but it simplifies things)
      • After installing the support software you should reboot and setup your internet (rEFInd should give you the option at boot to launch Windows in EFI mode. If you are not using rEFInd, hold down the option (alt) key to switch between macOS and Windows)
    • I would suggest creating a system restore point now
    • You can verify the installation by searching for and opening Msinfo32.exe and checking that BIOS Mode is UEFI and not Legacy

• Prepare the Macbook GPUs
    • Boot into Windows
    • Confirm that in device manager there are two display adapters, one for the iGPU and one for the dGPU.
      • In my case, I did not need to use any kind of OS spoofing to have the iGPU active but this can be done with apple_set_os.efi (this thread may help)
    • Using DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) remove all display drivers from both your iGPU (intel) and dGPU (nvidia)
      • (It is possible that it is overkill to remove both drivers but it is what I did. It has also been reported that this will cause a crash on boot because there is no dGPU driver. In that case only revert back to the last system restore point and only uninstall the intel driver)
      • Verify that this was successful by opening device manager and under Display adaptors, it should have two devices that say Microsoft Basic Display Adaptor
      • If Windows installs a driver after you have uninstalled them you can right-click it, go to properties > driver and roll it back
    • Create a system restore point now

• Setup the eGPU
    • Reboot and plug in the eGPU (I plug in the eGPU when the computer is in the rEFInd menu but plugging in a different times can work for different setups)
    • The eGPU will not be detected, but there should be an error 35 in your device manager
      • The error will be under System devices and a device similar to Xeon PCIe Root Port at the bottom should have a yellow warning with error 35
      • At this point you will see the audio adapter will also have an error, this is ok and will be fixed later
    • To fix error 35 you will need to perform a DSDT override
      • I used the intel method in step one
      • For step two I used option 1 option 2 using automate-eGPU EFI which will require a USB but is needed to play games that use Easy Anti Cheat eg Apex, PUBG (because it doesn't need Windows test mode)
      • The automate-eGPU is just a script that creates a USB that you can pick in the rEFInd / option (alt) menu to boot into Windows. You will need to take your modified asl file and move it to \EFI\CLOVER\ACPI\Windows\ and rename it DSDT.asl (This is the same as the instructions on the thread, I just found them difficult to understand)
    • Reboot and verify the large memory group in device manager (as in the DSDT guide) and that error 35 is gone
    • In my case, I did not encounter error 12 but if you do you can solve it from this thread (i think option 5 will work)
    • Now you should be done! The eGPU should now work and the audio should be fixed.
    • You can now go into Windows display settings and set scaling. I also reccomend setting the external display as the primary display so games will launch in it.
    • I also suggest making a system restore point just in case you break things later

Benchmarks  

Comments

• This is the dream setup! One partition for work (macOS) and one for gaming (Windows)
  • I'm getting much better performance on the same games than when I had the eGPU setup for macOS plus I can play basically all games because I'm no longer restricted by platform
  • This setup has had no impact on macOS which is great
  • I recommend installing MacsFanControl for Windows if you are going to be gaming because the fan curve is really bad in general on Apple products
  • What a great community! I was able to hop between threads and find pretty much everything I needed to get this setup working.

Issues

• Putting the computer into hibernation mode seems to crash it in Windows
This topic was modified 2 months ago

Early 2013 15" Macbook Pro GT650M Retina
MSI RX580 OC via Razer Core X

itsage liked
ReplyQuote