2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer...

Notifications
Clear all

2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.1 [stegpu]  

RSS

stegpu
(@stegpu)

System specs

• Early-2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina - macOS10.14.1 
  • cpu: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
  • igpu: Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • dgpu: Nvidia GT650M
  • Dell UltraSharp 25" Monitor: U2515H

eGPU hardware

• Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB
  • Razercore X
  • Apple TB 3-2 adaptor
  • Startech TB2 cable
  • Generic DP cable

Installation steps

Before I ran purge-wrangler.sh I disabled SIP as per instructions on the purge-wrangler page. Then I ran the patch enabling the relevant option for my setup.

The I ran purge-nvda.sh selecting option one for AMD (or so I thought). I got a non boot first time and had to startup command-s.

I forget how much logging in and out, plugging in and out and crashing I actually did before I realised I hadn’t properly utilised the purge-nvda script the first time.

You may also need to use purge-nvda again and select Set Mux to iGPU...

Eventually I enabled all the correct options for my system and after the nth reboot, the external monitor came to life.

In Mojave you have to cmd-i the various apps and select the tick box that says favour eGPU.

Benchmarks

Aside from opening Activity Monitor and selecting Window/GPU History, to see when/how much the egpu was being used, I didn’t do any benchmarking.

Comments

Minorly annoying amount of rebooting required when you are/not plugged into the egpu, but no big deal.

Noticeable improvement on the Adobe suite after selecting a few extra prefs inside the apps here and there. Adobe and Apple seem to be working together properly for a change.

Hard to totally fathom if certain other apps are using the egpu or not, but on the whole i think it was worth doing.

Also by buying a decent TB3 enclosure you will be able to use it with your new computer if and when you decide that this doesn’t offer you a sufficient performance upgrade.

2013 15" MacBook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX 580 @ 10Gbps-TB1>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.1 [build link]  

dafke liked
ReplyQuote
maximas
(@maximas)

It is possible to use GPU compute without external monitor? I need using GPU with built-in retina display for Final Cut Pro X.
Thank You!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
early2013mbp15
(@early2013mbp15)

Hi stegpu,

I have an Early 2013 15" MBP Retina and am interested in your build set up. I'm currently on High Sierra and was curious if you're updated to Catalina? Did you update to Mojave after completing eGPU installation?

Thanks for sharing your notes

Early 2013 MBP 15", eGPU considerations:
RX 580 AKiTio Node Titan OR RX Vega 56 w/Sonnet Breakaway 550

ReplyQuote