Setup & Software Discussions
2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX [email protected]>TB3 (Razer C...

2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina (GT650M) [3rd,4C,Q] + RX [email protected]>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.14.1 [stegpu]  

RSS

stegpu
(@stegpu)

System specs

• Early-2013 15" Macbook Pro Retina - macOS10.14.1 
  • cpu: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
  • igpu: Intel HD Graphics 4000
  • dgpu: Nvidia GT650M
  • Dell UltraSharp 25" Monitor: U2515H

eGPU hardware

• Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB
  • Razercore X
  • Apple TB 3-2 adaptor
  • Startech TB2 cable
  • Generic DP cable

Installation steps

Before I ran purge-wrangler.sh I disabled SIP as per instructions on the purge-wrangler page. Then I ran the patch enabling the relevant option for my setup.

The I ran purge-nvda.sh selecting option one for AMD (or so I thought). I got a non boot first time and had to startup command-s.

I forget how much logging in and out, plugging in and out and crashing I actually did before I realised I hadn’t properly utilised the purge-nvda script the first time.

You may also need to use purge-nvda again and select Set Mux to iGPU...

Eventually I enabled all the correct options for my system and after the nth reboot, the external monitor came to life.

In Mojave you have to cmd-i the various apps and select the tick box that says favour eGPU.

Benchmarks

Aside from opening Activity Monitor and selecting Window/GPU History, to see when/how much the egpu was being used, I didn’t do any benchmarking.

Comments

Minorly annoying amount of rebooting required when you are/not plugged into the egpu, but no big deal.

Noticeable improvement on the Adobe suite after selecting a few extra prefs inside the apps here and there. Adobe and Apple seem to be working together properly for a change.

Hard to totally fathom if certain other apps are using the egpu or not, but on the whole i think it was worth doing.

Also by buying a decent TB3 enclosure you will be able to use it with your new computer if and when you decide that this doesn’t offer you a sufficient performance upgrade.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

dafke liked
ReplyQuote
maximas
(@maximas)

It is possible to use GPU compute without external monitor? I need using GPU with built-in retina display for Final Cut Pro X.
Thank You!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote