Setup & Software Discussions
2015 13" MacBook Pro [5th,2C,U] + R9 290 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) ...

2015 13" MacBook Pro [5th,2C,U] + R9 290 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 [OliverB]  

RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

System specs

-MacBook Pro 13 inch 2015, i7-5557U 2-core, 16GB Ram, 512GB SSD
-iGpu Intel Iris Graphics 6100
-External Monitor Samsung 2560x1440 (Freesync)
-Windows 10 Build 1803 Bootcamp

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Asus XG Station Pro
AMD Radion Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 (Hawaii)
Apple TB3 -> TB2 Adapter MMEL2ZM/A
StarTech.com Thunderbolt Cable 1m

Hardware pictures

Sapphire

Installation steps 

Windows (Recommended Windows 10 Build 1803)
1) Hotplug eGPU on already running Windows (actually has been running the whole afternoon)
2) Wait two minutes, until card appears under Display Adapter

Error12AfterHotPlug

3) As this is the dreaded Error 12, system must be rebootet.
4) Finished! all is running perfectly.

DeviceManager

After Installation

1) Hot-unplug is possible, if the device is disabled in Device Manager first.

DisplayAdapterDisabled

Then the eGPU can be unplugged and/or switched of without any danger. It can also be replugged and enabled. System must boot with eGPU plugged in, any later hotplug result in Error 12. This can be avoided by booting with eGPU, disabled and unplug.

2) Other than with an nVidia card, MSHybrid must be used to accelerate internal display.

MSHybrid

3) Both are acceptable ways to work with the eGPU and build a good base to work with.

4) It was a surprise that USB3.1 Controller of the enclosure does work and all attached devices as well. Last time I checked with an nVidia card, it didn't work with this MacBookPro in Windows.

5) The next surprise is that Sleep actually works very good- It even does set the eGPU in sleep mode, too and wakes it up.

Benchmarks

1) AIDA 64 GPGPU:

gpgpu

2) Valley and TombRaider, external, internal and iGPU:

eGPU external eGPU internal iGPU
Unigine Valley ExtremeHD
Valley external

Valley internal

Valley igpu

Tomb Raider WQHD Ultimate
TR external

TR Internal

TR iGPU

Comments 

1) This was for certain the most easiest way to install an AMD eGPU in Bootcamp. Compared to the installation with an 15-inch MBP with AMD dGPU this is a Kindergarten Coup. It's hard to believe that there are 13-inch MacBooks which make trouble.

2) 13-inch MacBookPro Early 2015 is infamous to be the most problematic Notebook for eGPU setups ever. That may be partially true, but only for nVidia eGPUs. With an AMD eGPU this very simple and straightforward.

3) This notebook boots with any AMD eGPU plugged in, but never with nVidia eGPU. The infamous "extact-timed-hotplug" is not necessary here. The notebook can be booted with the AMD eGPU plugged and it works very reliable.

4) I could switch the eGPU to another running Notebook and back without booting. Plug'n'Play work very reliable if device is disabled and enabled in "Device Manager".

5) This is the second time I ran into Error 12, each time it was an AMD eGPU.

6) It was not possible to run the GPU under MacOSX.

This topic was modified 6 months ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@daniel_pinhasov)

i would like to clarify something, is this amd only or does nvidia work with these steps too?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

13-inch MacBookPro Early 2015 is infamous to be the most problematic Notebook for eGPU setups ever.

Macs with Nvidia dGPUs are the worst eGPU candidates post High Sierra. It’s not even close. 

This post was modified 10 months ago

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.shautomate-eGPU EFI Installer
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: Daniel Pinhasov

i would like to clarify something, is this amd only or does nvidia work with these steps too?

This step with an AMD card and it's actually quite easy in this setup.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: mac_editor

13-inch MacBookPro Early 2015 is infamous to be the most problematic Notebook for eGPU setups ever.

Macs with Nvidia dGPUs are the worst eGPU candidates post High Sierra. It’s not even close. 

Yes, I see. And for what? For a weak nVidia dGPU.

ReplyQuote