early-2015 13" MacBook Pro + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13 [bitinn]  

RSS

bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member
September 4, 2017 8:44 am  

So I managed to get this difficult combo working: Macbook Pro 2015 13" + Aorus Gaming Box

(ignore the text where it says internal screen is also powered by GTX 1070. It wasn't, setting primary display to the external monitor will cause this misinformation.)

----

Basic Steps:

– Boot into Recovery Mode (Restart macOS and hold cmd + R)

– Disable System Integrity Protection (Open terminal in utility, type csrutil disable)

– Reboot again into normal macOS.

– Now download and install latest Nvidia Web Driver as well as CUDA Driver.

– Install web driver will make you reboot again, do so.

– Now download and install eGPU enabler.

– At the end it will ask you to reboot again, do so.

– After reboot and login, shutdown again (yes it's kinda important, as we need to make sure kernel cache are flushed properly.)

----

Now the interesting part (the part where I need a custom solution for this eGPU):

- Power up your Aorus Gaming Box and make sure it's in idle.

- "Idle" is kinda a vague description: but what you want is to hear some noise from it, but see no light.

- Hook up HDMI line to the Gaming Box and your external monitor.

- Now, startup your Mac without eGPU plugged in (I will explain why later).

- Once you are at the login screen, type in your password first.

- Now hold your TB line close to a TB2 port on Mac.

- Hit enter first then plug that line in.

- You have a few slim window, 1-2 seconds, before the login progress bar start moving.

- Now if you are quick enough, your login screen will freeze for a few seconds, but then progress will continue.

- Then you should see output to your external monitor! 

----

IF you are at this stage, you are basically done and ready to go. But let's wrap up a few things:

- Shutdown and startup your MBP a few times, practice the timing of that TB line insertion trick until you are 100% comfortable.

- Go back to the Recovery Mode, and re-enable System Integrity Protection (with csrutil enable). Yes, enabling it should still allow your eGPU to work as kernel cache shouldn't be flushed on normal shutdown or restart. But I can't guarantee it will last forever 🙂

----

So to sum up: I can't guarantee you must setup MBP 2015 13" + Aorus Gaming Box combo this way, but for me, it was the only way I managed to get it working without verbose mode troubleshooting. YMMY, so you can find a discussion thread here.

Have fun and enjoy!

mid-2012 11" MacBook Air + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12
early-2015 13" MacBook Pro + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13

theitsage and cpauya liked
ReplyQuote
(@cpauya)
September 13, 2017 2:56 am  

I have the same rMBP and I was drooling over the Aorus Gaming Box for some time so I can enjoy gaming on my Mac.  You just helped me make-up my mind.

Thanks for this!  🙂

Macbook Pro 13-inch early 2015, Macbook Airs in the office from 2012-2015 models.

ReplyQuote
bitinn
(@bitinn)
Eminent Member
September 14, 2017 8:10 am  

thx to @mac_editor for pointing out this is basically the same boot process for his 2014 macbook setup as well. The timing for plugging the TB line is crucial to a successfully boot (and depends on whether your have FileVault turn on or not):

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2014-mbp-w-750m-akitio-node-w-980-ti-mac_editor/

mid-2012 11" MacBook Air + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.12
early-2015 13" MacBook Pro + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3->TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13

JDiggyDawg liked
ReplyQuote
Ekho
 Ekho
(@ekho)
October 12, 2017 7:33 am  

Hi @bitinn I used your guide to get the same combo working today. Really appreciate you posted this guide.

But when I was using your trick, macOS could only detect "Nvidia Chip Model" instead of GTX1070. After trying different timing for about 1 hour, I found that plug TB cable right after the white Apple logo appears allows my laptop detect egpu correctly as GTX1070. 

I think this might help other people so I posted this under this topic.

Btw my aorus gaming box is making noise under macOS, does yours has the same issue? This doesn't occur when I was using it in bootcamp.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
motomac
(@motomac)
October 23, 2017 5:26 pm  

Hi, bitinn!

Does it work with the internal screen?

How about Windows?

Which additional cables did you use?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Chen
 Chen
(@isnot2bad)
November 22, 2017 6:45 am  

Hello, which version of OS X did you use?

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
November 28, 2017 10:20 am  

Upgraded to macOS10.13

From [APP] NVIDIA eGPU support for High Sierra (NVIDIAEGPUSupport)

Posted by: bitinn

Upgraded to High Sierra on my MBP 13" Early 2015, using this approach works just fine!

Also seems to allow me to close the MBP lid without putting macOS to sleep. Pretty sure it wasn't possible in Sierra.

However, the need to plugin TB line at the right timing still exists. Guess it's a hardware thing.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@adolfo_solis)
December 6, 2017 6:56 pm  

Hi, I have a MBP 15'' Mid 2014, I'll buy the Aorus Gaming Box, I'm not sure if I can use the eGPU with my internal screen, also Im running 10.13.2 which was released today 6/Dec. Any advice ?

ReplyQuote
unknown3134
(@unknown3134)
December 7, 2017 7:06 am  

Works with Bootcamp on internal screen, very easy in fact.

I Still haven't got it detected as a Graphics card in 10.13.1 with an internal screen. Haven't tried external screen Mac OS. Can only see it on the Thunderbolt bus.

ReplyQuote
uchlee
(@uchlee)
Eminent Member
February 6, 2018 10:52 am  

Does this setup work with Bootcamp Windows 10 as well? Can you please confirm it? I'm ready to buy it. 🙂 

iMac Retina 4K, 21", Late 2015, Mojave, iGPU 6200
MBP Retina, 13", Early 2015, Mojave, iGPU 6100
Aorus Gaming Box GTX1080

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 6, 2018 11:03 am  

@uchlee, there are several successful bootcamp builds with your Macbook:

https://egpu.io/external-gpu-implementations-table/?table_filter =""2015 2013-inch Macbook Pro" Win "

Please carefully reviewing the 4 builds listed here working with your Macbook in Windows 10 using a Thunderbolt 3 enclosure.

The critical step in getting the eGPU detected is timing a TB2 cable hotplug at the right moment when Windows 10 boots as @macnoob explains & shows in a video at:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/early-2015-13-macbook-pro-retina-gtx95016gbps-tb2-akitio-node-via-tb3-tb2-adapter-win10-macnoob/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
uchlee
(@uchlee)
Eminent Member
February 6, 2018 11:17 am  

@nando4, I purchased Aorus gaming box in last November but I could not make it work even though there are a few success stories so I returned it. I do not want to repeat the same mistake again. I was able to make it work with Mac OS High Sierra but not with Windows 10.

Thank you for the great forum.

EDIT: The related posts by @macnoob and @jumpingsalad look promising. Thank you!

iMac Retina 4K, 21", Late 2015, Mojave, iGPU 6200
MBP Retina, 13", Early 2015, Mojave, iGPU 6100
Aorus Gaming Box GTX1080

ReplyQuote
comfycat
(@comfycat)
Trusted Member
March 30, 2018 1:22 pm  

Hey I know this thread is a couple months old...

I'm not sure what you mean @nando4 about hot plugging. I've got a 2013 MBP Retina and I never hot plug; for both macOS (10.13.3) and Windows 10 bootcamp I do a complete shutdown, then plug in the TB2 cable to my mac (and the adapter to the eGPU if it's unplugged to save power), then I boot. I can either spoof a macOS boot (using Refind) and load Win 10, or I can load macOS; in both cases my Aorus 1080 gaming box is correctly detected every single time. Don't get me wrong though; this took a couple full days of experimenting to figure out, and I learned it all from from eGPU.io and Reddit. Just not sure what you mean about hot plugging and I want to put my experience here so that folks know that isn't the only way.

You've been warned.
late-2013 13" MBP Retina + [email protected] (Aorus Gaming Box via TB3>TB2 adapter) + macOS10.13.3 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@sergio_arroyo)
April 18, 2018 6:41 am  

Thanks for the info. Can you  provide an update on how it runs with the new High Sierra Update (10.13.4)? better/same/worse? Also would you recommend getting an enclosure with native TB2? or is it faster using the adapter? TIA  🙂

ReplyQuote