• Intel Core i7-7Y75 @ 1.30GHz - 3.6GHz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Intel 615 integrated graphics
  • Windows 10 1909 (build 18363.836)

eGPU hardware

Installation steps

Pretty simple:

1. Installed GPU card in Razer Core X
  2. Plugged in monitor via Display Port (using cable included with monitor)
  3. Plugged in Razer Core X to power
  4. Attached V to Core X via included Thunderbolt cable
  5. Reboot V
  6. Set Windows to only display to external monitor
  7. Install nVidia RTX drivers

The one misstep I made was trying to start with Gigabyte's drivers -- haven't used a discrete GPU in 20 years, so having different chip and card manufacturers is kind of different for me -- things started working as expected with nVidia's drivers.

Benchmarks

Comments

• Have not been able to get the setup working with hotswaping / plug-and-play: always have to reboot when switching between docked and portable configurations. That then becomes difficult because I use bitlocker (as everyone should, or something like it), which trips its hardware change detection so I either have to disable protection for the reboot or type in the crazy long recovery key.
  • Setup is surprisingly quiet -- I was really worried about this as I got out of building my own computers 20 years ago in part because even they sounded like jet engines and you couldn't actually enjoy using them -- now I only hear the fan after I turn the game off and it is cooling down.
  • The RTX might have been a bit overkill given the TB3 bandwidth, which is why I went with the entry-level RTX -- wanted to have the Turing architecture available to play with.
  • Business case for this was virtual backgrounds in Zoom -- thought the iGPU was the limiting factor for me (let's face it, the 615 is pretty limiting), but it turns out the 4 hyperthreads on the i7 don't meet the 4 core requirement (yes, I know the difference -- I didn't think Zoom would know the difference).
  • The non-business case is strategy / building games like Cities Skylines, which definitely work much, much better. Fallout 4 also runs much better.
  • The best part is honestly being able to use my external monitor reliably again -- never had much luck with USB-C Alternate Display Port to HDMI adapters -- tried a bunch and they're all pretty flaky -- general desktop performance (browsing, spreadsheets, etc.) also feels snappier.

2017 13" Eve V [7th,2C,Y] + RTX 2060 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

borygo77, nando4, mr.ribeiro and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@drzow, Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing this build! Can you run HWiNFO64 and expand the PCI Express Root Port to where the eGPU connects? It looks like the Eve V might have used a 2 PCIe lane connection for its Thunderbolt 3 port based on the Memory Read.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
drzow
(@drzow)

@itsage: I appreciate the sharp eye! I believe this is what you are looking for?

I thought it would be great to share this build because I did not see much data out there on using an Eve V with an eGPU. If I am reading this correctly, it is advertising four lanes, but it would not surprise me if there is some other bottleneck limiting the use of those lanes. There is a lot I love about the Eve V, but that's because they made some definite trade-offs in its design, particularly around performance to make it fanless with a respectable battery life.

2017 13" Eve V [7th,2C,Y] + RTX 2060 @ 16Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@drzow, Thank you for the screen capture. The Thunderbolt 3 port has a 4 PCIe lane connection. However it seems it's set at OPI 2GT/s (power efficient) instead of higher performance 4GT/s. You can read more about the difference in our laptop guide for eGPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
drzow
(@drzow)

Thank you @itsage! I would concur with your assessment. Unfortunately, I looked in the BIOS/UEFI settings and did not see any way to change the OPI setting.

ReplyQuote