2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909  

of  2
  RSS

norcom
(@norcom)

Got it working with the pci.sys fix. I've been messing around with all the different instructions posted here. I didn't want to do the EFI USB boot but that did get the Intel GPU working but still had issues. I was mostly concerned with getting the eGPU working for use with my Samsung Odyssey+ setup. Ended up with the pci.sys fix, no other modifications needed. The 5500M doesn't work with this, only the RX 5700 XT.

Windows version 1901 build 18363.720 and the latest AMD 20.4.1 drivers. This ONLY gets the eGPU working on an external display. Don't really care sending it back to the laptop display. Figured I'd post my steps in case someone else is looking for similar

Here's a quick and dirty of what I did.

1. Install Windows 1909 latest March 2020 MSDN ISO

2. Boot windows and let it install the Apple Bootcamp drivers

3. Install the AMD "MacBook Pro (Retina, 16-inch, 2019) with Radeon Pro 5300M and 5500M" and reboot

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp

4. Download the latest AMD "Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.1 Optional" drivers. Run the installer, it will fail with Error 173.

5. Rename and then replace the C:\Windows\system32\drivers\pci.sys with the one from this Google Drive link

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/egpu-fail-after-update-to-windows-19-03/paged/11/#post-71374

Edit the permissions on the pci.sys and take ownership. Then remove trusted installer and set all other account permissions to READ/EXECUTE only. Or the file will be overriden on reboot. (probably will on updates as well)

6. Plug the eGPU in or if it's already plugged in, go to Device Manager/Display Adapers. There should be the 5500M working and a Windows Display card. Update the drivers on the Windows Display card, select have disk and browse to the drivers extracted with the 20.4.1 in C:\AMD\Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.4.1-Apr2\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\. I selected the first file, C0353575.inf and the first 5700 XT. Click ok, reboot.

6. Once the system boots up open up device manager and look for the GPU. Mine's usually not there. I unplug the eGPU wait for the sound and plug it back in. Sound comes up again, the 5500 gets disabled and the XT 5700 starts working. I disable the 5500M just in case and the laptop screen 1. I just play on the main monitor or my VR headset. On reboot I leave the eGPU plugged in, reboot, wait, unplug/plug once up and the 5700 takes over.

My card's plugged in on the left side towards the end. I have the CalDigit thunderbolt box on the right side towards the end and the USB drive on the right side towards the front. I have to remove the USB drive during boot or the eGPU doesn't work. Then plug it back in and it works; I run Steam from it.

Maybe this helps someone. But really Apple/Microsoft/AMD should just fix this.

Major thanks to whoever figured out the pci.sys workaround!

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
norcom
(@norcom)

Well, there are definitely issues with this. Played some games earlier this morning. Rebooted to OSX and did some work. Decided to play some games again, booted into Windows and the pci.sys was overriden, I guess windows checks the integrity somewhere else. Put the pci.sys file back but I Couldn't get the GPU to come up on the left port towards the rear. Tried the port towards the front and it came up. Ugh. The struggle continues but at least I can game again.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
yawametoo
(@yawametoo)

Question, I am new to the eGPU World and was hoping to learn from your experience. I did a bunch of research on hardware (watched YouTube reviews, etc.) and decided to order the Razer Core X Chroma and XFX RX 5700 Xt Thicc III to pair with my 2019 MacBook Pro 16". I would like to use the setup as an external GPU and dock unit to run in both OSX or Win10 using Boot Camp. I constantly boot back and forth between MacOS and Win10 to work and game. Gaming primarily in Win10, and mostly play CSGO.

Anyways, I was wondering why the PCI.sys fix is necessary. From the YouTube videos I watched, none of them mentioned this requirement and the setup appeared to be fairly plug and play. The only issue I've heard of is you need to turn on the Razer GPU unit before booting into Win10, otherwise a reboot is required for it to be detected. I would expect that for proper hardware detection. Also, the internal MacBook Pro display will run off software rendering and not the eGPU, which like you I don't need when I am gaming in Win10.

I appreciate any information/experience you can share, Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
norcom
(@norcom)

@yawametoo

I'm not sure what reviews you watched but were they using an AMD or an NVIDIA card? Nvidia is plug and play supposedly but AMD will have lots of issues. I have the XFX THICC III 5700 XT that I'm using for this and I can tell you with certainty that it's not plug and play in a Macbook Pro 16 because of a discrete GPU and how Bootcamp disables the Intel GPU. It's plug and play on my 2018 Mac Mini however because it lacks a device to conflict with.

If you want the eGPU just for games in Windows on a Macbook Pro 16, get Nvidia. But you wont be able to use it in OSX. If you want to get the ATI because you want to use Windows and OSX with the eGPU be prepared for issues on the Macbook Pro. There are a lot of threads about this.

ReplyQuote
yawametoo
(@yawametoo)

@norcom

Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it. So since your setup matches mine, how well is it working? Are you running into a lot of issues or is the PCI.sys fix working fine for you now? Why did you choose to go with AMD over NVIDIA? Just interested in hearing your perspective and why you chose to go that route. Thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
norcom
(@norcom)

@yawametoo

I’ve only used it for a few days and when it works, its fine. I’m playing Half Life Alyx in High detail but I set the AA to 2x instead of 4. VR was my primary interest and I haven’t had a chance to try any other games. But there’s still slight stuttering in certain parts of the game. This could be due to driver optimizations that still need to be done. However it runs much better than when I was playing it on my i7-4770k and GTX 1070 desktop. 

When it doesn’t work on first try, I have to check the pci.sys file wasn’t overridden and start plugging the GPU in and out of different ports. I disabled Windows updates for now but as soon as new drivers come out I plan to update. Definitely a hassle but its Window and I’m used to that  

I went with AMD because I wanted the support in OSX. I use 3d design and video editing applications that it helps with. It works perfectly in OSX. If you don’t want to troubleshoot and try to solve issues in Windows, I do not recommend AMD. Just get the Nvidia to plug and play in Windows. 

ReplyQuote
norcom
(@norcom)

Strangely enough, I just rebooted from OSX, held down the Option key and booted into Windows. The eGPU came up right away, no plugging or anything. Seems like it works when connected on the left side port towards the front. At least this time around. Time to get some gaming in! Smile

ReplyQuote
network_noob534
(@network_noob534)

Nowwww I'm curious to try this out for myself as well!!! IF this works, it will be heaven on earth for me! Super powerful workstation and Mac gaming machine while on the go; and when at home have an extra-powerful gaming rig!!!! 

Hmm.... time to give this a try!

ReplyQuote
norcom
(@norcom)

I've been running this for a while and the majority of time I re-boot back and forth between OSX and Windows without having to unplug anything. When Windows takes a little longer to load the desktop is when I know it's setting up the eGPU. Once it loads, the Windows settings I configured to disable the laptop display and set the monitor as primary take over. My CalDigit TB3 tock and my USB-C SSD external game drive stay connected and work with no issues on the right side ports. Dock towards the rear, drive towards the front.

There have been a few reboots where Windows doesn't find the eGPU and I had to go back and forth between the left side ports. It finds the eGPU and I'm good to go. Perhaps it's because I rarely fully shutdown the Macbook?

I'm still mostly re-playing Half Life Alyx but tried a few other games and they run fine. Alyx is the most demanding VR game though. Few times I had Windows Mixed Reality Portal and/or SteamVR crash but overall no major issues. This seemed to mostly happen when I tried to get different mods working on Skyrim VR. Hopefully AMD/Steam release better optimizations for the 5700 XT and HL:Alyx. This setup works well but it's not flawless on High detail.

ReplyQuote
coldfuser
(@coldfuser)

Would you recommend this over nvidia eGPU? I get lots of issues on boot up and restarts, but otherwise works once things have booted up.

2019 Intel NUC10I7FNH [10th,6C,U] + RTX 2070 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2