2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core ...

Notifications
Clear all

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909  

of  2
  RSS

norcom
(@norcom)

@coldfuser

I have not tried an NVIDIA GPU with any of my Macs. So I wouldn't know what issues may arise from using one over the other.

As an upated on this thread. I finally have HL:Alyx working almost flawlessly. I have to set the CPU Priority on hfalyx.exe to Realtime. Once I did that my stuttering issues went away. Works great with everything on High and DX11, haven't tried the new Vulkan API yet.

I've been running this for over a month now and it's mostly good. There are still issues when OSX occasionally gets stuck after I put the login password in and FileVault decryption hangs and fails to start. I have to hard reset and usually it goes through on the next boot. There are issues when Windows will not boot a few times and bluescreens but after a restart or a few, it goes through without me having to fix anything. This mostly seems to happen when I try to switch between OS's multiple times without a full shutdown. Sometimes this happens after everything is unplugged and I do a first boot. Updated the AMD drivers to the latest version and ran Windows updates last week (still have to use the old pci.sys); so far so good.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Marko Mitranić
(@marko_mitranic)

Hey @norcom first off, thank you for taking the time to write down the process and the progress thoroughly. It means a lot even to a seasoned computer person.

Its been a month since your last message, how are things going for you? Anything new to report? My setup is arriving on Tuesday, so any little piece of information counts. Smile

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019) | Razer Core X Chroma | Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB | iMac 27" Display

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
norcom
(@norcom)

@marko_mitranic

I'm still running it and there are still issues but I haven't messed with it much. I only use Windows for VR gaming and honestly I've been only playing Half Life Alyx lately. This game has made everything else just seem boring. Hopefully more custom levels come out soon.

There are still the same issues. Seems like it takes about three boots to get into windows after a few hard OSX reboots or if I unplug the eGPU. First two times it locks up and I hard reboot on the 3rd time it wants to repair my system and I just reboot and then everything's detected properly. This happens with the Razer Core, the CalDigit TB3 dock and the TB3 NVME drive plugged in. I don't unplug them, so perhaps if I tried unplugging and then plugging them in it would take a reboot or two less? I'm too lazy to unplug and so far it has always worked on the third boot. (knock on wood) It takes two or three minutes to detect everything and after that it seems to work and reboot back into windows with no issues. My guess is Windows finds the devices and the Mac doesn't change anything until another hard shutdown? No clue. Just waiting for a Windows release that just works.

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2