2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer...

Notifications
Clear all

2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10  

of  2
  RSS

Don Bones
(@don-bones)

System specs 

Inc screen: FHD 1080p

External Monitor: LG UltraGear GN850, QHD, 144hz, G-sync compatible - connected via display 1.4.

CPU: i7-10750H

dGPU: GTX 1650ti

eGPU: Razer Core X Chroma + EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra

RAM: 16GB DDR4-2933MHZ

SSD: 1 TB WD Black SN750

Hardware/Setup Pictures

20210123 111145
20210123 111243

Time Spy free benchmark

Timespy rtx 3070

CPU temps with fan setup 

CPU temps w fans

(see above picture - internal laptop fan setting on cool, 2 external fans on keyboard, cooling pad with 5 fans)

CPU temps run at around 60-70 C without fans under light load/idle, so there is a significant decrease in temps with the added fans.

external fans: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JLV4BWC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

laptop cooling pad: https://www.amazon.com/Kootek-Laptop-Cooling-Cooler-Adjustable/dp/B01469DJLM

Everything was essentially plug and play. As expected, saw massive FPS gains, and ability to play on high-ultra settings for most, if not all games. Using MSI Afterburner, I notice my CPU hitting a consistent 90-100 C during heavy load (games like Witcher 3 - ultra and Cyberpunk - med/high). Quite concerned over these temps if I plan to game often. I've got a raised laptop cooler and some external fans blowing in and out on top of the laptop keyboard, which keeps everything very cool, except CPU on these heavy loads. I get little to no game stuttering and everything runs at consistent 50-90 FPS when I hit 90-100 C, so I'd assume there is no throttling going on, its just concerning seeing these temps. I should also note that for the most part the laptop games around 80 C. CPU intensive areas see the 90-100 C spike and tend to stay there until I leave a crowded area or city within an RPG like the Witcher 3, or Cyberpunk 2077. 

Reading countless articles, forum posts, etc., about these temps on the i7-10750H reveals a mixed consensus: people either say Intel's 10th gen chips are made to run at those high temps (90-100) or they say don't let your CPU get hotter than 80 C. Not sure if I should try to undervolt the CPU (this will be its own monster, as comet lake is not easily undervolted now). Would appreciate any input on the safety/longevity of running my CPU at 90-100 C while under heavy gaming. Thanks for reading. 

UPDATE ON TEMPS: I turned off Intel's turbo boost easily using throttle stop, and my temps don't go over 70 C even under the heaviest loads. This was a very easy fix with little to no performance loss. 

2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@don-bones, Nice to hear a positive experience with H-CPU and RTX 3000 series eGPU! If you get no frame drops or stuttering, I'd say to leave things as is and enjoy gaming. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

Don Bones liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@don-bones , pls consider following the build template and including pics of your gear to bring it all to life.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
aurelius pontius
(@aurelius_pontius)

That cpu is very powerful so you can disable turbo mode,and than the temperature is very low.

2019 15" Clevo P775TM1-G [9th,8C] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // custom enclosure [build link]  

Don Bones liked
ReplyQuote
Don Bones
(@don-bones)

@nando4, Will add some pictures and 3Dmark's free benchmark. Hitting my 5th post here so should be able to add pictures now. 

2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,6C,H] + RTX 3070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X Chroma) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Kuba Nowak
(@kuba_nowak)

does the laptop charge via thunderbolt?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Don Bones
(@don-bones)

@kuba_nowak, It does indeed. My XPS 15 will give me a slow charge notification when hooked only up to the Core X Chroma, but it stays at 100% even under heavy use, so this warning can be ignored. I believe it's because the charger that comes with the laptop charges it faster and has a higher power output, but the Core X works just fine alone. 

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@don-bones, I like your laptop cooling solution. It seems better CPU/system cooling for the host laptop does wonder for eGPU performance.

2020 Gigabyte Z490 Vision D [10th,8C,K] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

Don Bones liked
ReplyQuote
Don Bones
(@don-bones)

@itsage, thank you, laptop cooling was definitely my main concern with the XPS 15/eGPU setups in general. The laptop is awesome all around, but suffers from high heat due to it's sleek design and poor thermals under heavy gaming (not a gaming laptop). This website was invaluable in me trying to understand where the bottlenecks are, so I really tried to focus on external cooling here and it seems to be giving substantial results. Best part is the external fans are considerably cheap at only $20 and I highly recommend them to anyone looking to reduce laptop heat as the cooling pad only does so much, but certainly helps. I also couldn't find anyone online using external fans on the keyboard for cooling, so glad it worked out.  

Definitely wish the tiger lake CPUs had come out when I bought this laptop, but the 10th gen H series is nothing I can complain over. Looks like you've got some great results with the new chip, and awesome you were able to get a 3080 hooked up to it as well. We are certainly inching closer to a mobile workstation that can replicate high-end desktop performance.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@don-bones, I thought about where eGPU manufacturers could go to distinguish their solution. One prototype I tried had a laptop dock built-in. It's a nice convenience. What I would like more is an integrated cooling solution such as a fan controller inside the enclosure that allows users to control both eGPU cooling fans and external cooling fans for host laptop. Control dials and a laptop/stand would be nice touches.

Don Bones liked
ReplyQuote
 of  2