Setup & Software Discussions
2013 15" Gigabyte P25W-v2 (GTX870M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX Vega 64 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE1...

2013 15" Gigabyte P25W-v2 (GTX870M) [4th,4C,Q] + RX Vega 64 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (PCE164P-N03) + Win10 [vonthing]  

RSS

vonthing
(@vonthing)

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system user which eGPU is being used)

• CPU: Intel Core i7-4810MQ 2.8 GHz Quad Core (8 threads)
  • Memory: 16 GB (8x2) PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM
  • iGPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
  • dGPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M 
  • eGPU: Gigabyte Radeon 64 Vega
  • OS: Windows 10 Home build 1809 latest version (all patches applied as of today)

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

• Video card: Gigabyte Radeon 64 Vega
    • GPU-Z stats: GPU clock 1630 MHz, Memory clock 945 MHz, Bus interface PCIE x16 3.0
    • HWINFO stats: Video bus PCIe v3.0 x16 (8.0 GT/s) @ x16 (8.0 GT/s)
    • HWINFO stats for the PCIe bus the card is connected to: PCIE v2.0 link width 1x, link speed 5.0 GT/s
    • Hotplug wasn't supported out of the box but I enabled it with the UEFI shell mod tutorial found on this forum
  • Adapter: PCE164P-N03
  • Power supply: Generic $20 12V 40 A power supply from Aliexpress: link
    • I did the wiring myself using Molex connectors lying around from other builds.
  • Enclosure: Mini-ITX case, I haven't put it together yet though.

Hardware pictures 

Installation steps 

My power supply setup is all custom so I started off by soldering 14 ga. wiring to the PCIe adapter.

I then used 8 pin Molex connectors lying around and hooked everything up with a screw terminal block. I also added a power meter just for kicks (check out the install pictures)

Hardware install was literally a breeze - barely took 5 minutes. Removed the onboard Wi-Fi and installed the PCIe bracket in its place. Ran the supplied USB cable to the PCIe adapter and it's done.

One thing that got me was that when UEFI boot was enabled, I had to unplug the monitors otherwise it wouldn't boot. So I had to convert my Windows 10 installation to MBR boot. Since I didn't want to lose any data, the conversion process was very complicated and it took quite a while.

Benchmarks 

Coming soon. Right now I don't have any USB wifi card, in the process of getting one.

Comments

I love it. It's pretty much indistinguishable from a desktop gaming setup. I play StarCraft II with everything cranked up to eleven and it runs as good as if it was a desktop gaming rig.

I also added a power meter just for kicks. The card draws about 10 W on idle. I have yet to test it under load, will update the post when I get the chance.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote