2011 15" Dell Inspiron N5110 + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.x) + Win7 [Jones.Something]^  

RSS

Jones.Something
(@jones-something)
April 26, 2017 5:19 am  

Dell N5110 GT525M laptop with GDC Beast v8 and MSI GTX760 Twin Frozr working perfectly using Setup 1.35. This laptop requires a DSDT override. Following this guide should get you up and running fairly quickly.

BRIEF GUIDE (if you know what you're doing!)

• Install Setup 1.35 
  • Create DSDT overide: https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/
  • Move iGPU and dGPU into 36 bit space using PCI Compaction in Setup 1.35 (eGPU would NOT move into 36 bit space no matter what I did, but moving iGPU and dGPU to 36 bit space freed up plenty of resources for the eGPU to run without error 12)
  • Boot laptop with external monitor disconnected from eGPU (I don't know the reason for this, but it works) and plug in monitor once you're booted into Windows

NOTE TO THE NOVICE!

Nando's Setup 1.35 leaves your Windows install intact - you get a menu option to boot into your untouched Windows install, or to boot into it after Setup 1.35 has done its magic.

DETAILED GUIDE:

STEP 1

• Strip the laptop, remove the Wifi card and install the GDC Beast cable to the mPCIE slot
  • Install the graphics card to the Beast and hook up your PSU
  • Don't plug a monitor into it yet, and leave it powered off for now

STEP 2

STEP 3

• Boot with eGPU powered on and configure Setup 1.35 to move iGPU and dGPU to the large memory area:
  • Set GDC Beast ATX PWR to ON
  • Set GDC Beast delay switch to 7s (middle setting)
  • External monitor MUST be unplugged from eGPU (or laptop will not POST or boot)
  • Power on ATX PSU (eGPU will power up and fans will idle)
  • Power on laptop
  • Select 'Setup 1.35' from boot menu
  • Select 'Boot Menu 1.35 Menu Based'
  • Select PCI Compaction > Endpoint 56.25GB (36 bit)
  • Select PCI Compaction > Run Compact - when prompted for the scope select iGPU & dGPU, force 32 bit=none
  • All the configuration is now done, you can now reboot into Windows with this config by Selecting Reboot - then select 'Setup 1.35' at boot menu followed by 'Automated startup from startup.bat'
  • Windows should now boot and you should see the eGPU in device manager, you should also see your iGPU and dGPU. You can now install drivers for the eGPU.
  • Once the eGPU is in device manager with drivers installed and no errors, this is the boot sequence to power on your laptop with the eGPU:

BOOT SEQUENCE:

• Unplug external monitor from eGPU
  • Power on ATX PSU, eGPU should power on and fans should idle
  • Power on laptop
  • Select 'Setup 1.35'
  • Select 'Automated startup from startup.bat'
  • Windows will boot blind, you won't get a Windows logo
  • At Windows login (or desktop) you can plug your external monitor into the eGPU. Windows will switch to this monitor as the primary display and switch off the internal LCD. Games will just run on it as the primary display, no need for windowed mode.

NOTES

- I can now run games at 1080p with high settings and more than double the framerates I was getting with the GT525m at 720p with low settings. The difference is phenomenal.

- eGPU is running at Gen1 speed over the PCIe link. Gen2 is unstable and causes BSOD. I may upgrade to the GDC Beast v9 but for now I'm delighted with this setup.

- Boot sequence isn't pretty but it works and is absolutely stable - I don't know why having the external monitor plugged into the eGPU causes the laptop to hang during POST, I suspect the 7s timing on the GDC Beast isn't actually doing anything

- Thanks to Nando for all of his support and advice getting this running

I'd love to hear any comments, suggestions or corrections and I'll update this post with pics soon.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
t3rminat04
(@t3rminat04)
July 29, 2017 12:40 pm  

Greetings, 

Currently doing a similar build for n5110 i5-2450m + 8gb ram + win 10 pro. Compiling dsdt was hella job. There's this 1 issue for me, connecting the beast and booting gives error on bios "connect all pcie cables xyz"

Undo whitelist via setup isn't working as it gets stuck on one of the line. I've to boot with wlan card and then swap to beast. Did you face any similar issue? or have any work around? 

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
saidfazil
(@saidfazil)
November 8, 2017 6:04 am  

Hi,
i do have the dell n5110 and i have ordered all the parts like EXP GDC and a GTX 960.
i am running windows 10. i dont have an external monitor. is there a way to set the egpu without an external monitor?

Also when starting the laptop for the first time connected to the egpu, what shud be the egpu switches (atx pwr and one more ) set to?

ReplyQuote