mid-2015 15" Macbook Pro M370x + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node via TB3->TB adapter) + Win10 [lalaboi]^ // Dell S2417DG + G-sync  

RSS

lalaboi
(@lalaboi)
March 20, 2017 8:05 pm  

Update: Summary

Did it. Managed to get dgpu on internal display and egpu on externals.
What i did:
1. While running in integrated.bat, disable igpu. Internal display should go black.
2. Enable dgpu if it was disabled.
3. Check Device Manager for error. There should be something.
            If error 43: roll back/uninstall amd drivers.
            If amd drivers are not present, proceed to 4
4. Reboot with hotplug,  (external screen works, internal screen black) and install amd drivers for your specific model.
5. Before restarting, Use gpu-switch dedicated.bat in cmd (admin) if it was running with integrated.bat 
6. Boot up windows with the hotplug without boot.efi that forces igpu.
7. All monitors should come alive and both dgpu and egpu will come alive with igpu disabled. (who needs that piece of shit anyways)

My results for humble bragging purposes. Next is to setup bootloader (refind) to avoid that dreaded bsod on boot with thunderbolt and my setup would be perfect.

Started with:

Just got Windows up and running on a gtx 980ti to an akitio node tb3->tb2 adapter + cable. Im using the mbp mid 2015 with amd rx m370x
Setup on mac was as simple as running an automate script.

Slightly harder to get it going on windows. I'm using the usb boot.efi trick.
After click on boot.efi, i plug in the tb2 cable 2-3secs later.
This drives the 2 of my external monitors. Internal monitor is frozen with the windows logo.
I'll attempt the DSDT override when i have time to set that up and get the internal display running too.

On both MacOS and Windows 10, I can't enable G-Sync.
MacOS option is greyed out while it is completely hidden on windows.
I am using a Dell S2417DG monitor which has G-sync.
I run it at 2560x1440 at 144 hz with 3D

Is an egpu not capable of driving G-Sync on a tb2 connection or am i doing something wrong?

Any help with DSDT and Internal Display greatly appreciated too 😀

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 20, 2017 8:36 pm  

There is no connection between G-Sync and the fact you are running an eGPU. How is the monitor connected to the card? HDMI? DVI? DisplayPort?

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
lalaboi
(@lalaboi)
March 20, 2017 8:56 pm  

Main monitor with G-Sync connected to DP with the provided cable. Secondary monitor connected with DVI-D.

I notice on MacOS Nvidia settings, slot 1-4(3 DP 1 HDMI port) shows not connected. DVI port shows connected.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
March 20, 2017 9:35 pm  

Try to disconnect the secondary monitor and try just the G-Sync one via DisplayPort. See if that changes anything in the options.

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
lalaboi
(@lalaboi)
March 21, 2017 4:30 am  

Managed to get G-Sync Enabled on MacOS.
Still having trouble on Windows. I uninstalled AMD Radeon Drivers and reinstalling NVDIA Drivers and I still dont see a G-Sync option in NVIDIA Control Panel.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
March 21, 2017 4:40 am  

What did you do to get it working on OS X?

On Windows: Try running DDU (unless you already did that when you uninstalled the drivers) to make sure all drivers are wiped out. Disable the m370x in the device manager and install the nVidia driver and try again. It might be getting confused due to the device still showing up somehow.

ReplyQuote
lalaboi
(@lalaboi)
March 21, 2017 6:11 am  

Silly me, i realised that on a the Mac, it locks the settings.
All i had to do is unlocked, enable g-sync, lock.

In windows there is no g-sync in Nvdia control panel at all.
Will try DDU in a few hours.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
March 22, 2017 10:55 pm  
Posted by: lalaboi

Just got Windows up and running on a gtx 980ti to an akitio node tb3->tb2 adapter + cable. Im using the mbp mid 2015 with amd rx m370x
Setup on mac was as simple as running an automate script.

Slightly harder to get it going on windows. I'm using the usb boot.efi trick.
After click on boot.efi, i plug in the tb2 cable 2-3secs later.
This drives the 2 of my external monitors. Internal monitor is frozen with the windows logo.
I'll attempt the DSDT override when i have time to set that up and get the internal display running too.

On both MacOS and Windows 10, I can't enable G-Sync.
MacOS option is greyed out while it is completely hidden on windows.
I am using a Dell S2417DG monitor which has G-sync.
I run it at 2560x1440 at 144 hz with 3D

Is an egpu not capable of driving G-Sync on a tb2 connection or am i doing something wrong?

Any help with DSDT and Internal Display greatly appreciated too 😀

I am trying to work out a setup exactly like yours except on the 750m 2014 MBP. Could you please elaborate on what boot.efi trick you are referring to? It would be much appreciated, thanks.

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

ReplyQuote
lalaboi
(@lalaboi)
March 23, 2017 2:37 am  

I am trying to work out a setup exactly like yours except on the 750m 2014 MBP. Could you please elaborate on what boot.efi trick you are referring to? It would be much appreciated, thanks.

You would first need to enable igpu in windows. Follow:  https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/
Boot the .efi thumbstick you just made and as soon as you see the windows logo with the loading spin 1-2 times, plug in the egpu tb port.
Display might look weird as you dont have any intel drivers. Install the igpu drivers and reboot.
Start it the same way above and it would now load Intel Iris Pro graphics.
Install NVDIA drivers, reboot, hotpllug during boot.
You should have Intel Iris Pro running on Internal Display and your egpu on your external.

At the moment, Im trying to figure out a way to allocate enough resources to dgpu so i can dedicate it to a vm. 

ReplyQuote
lalaboi
(@lalaboi)
March 23, 2017 2:09 pm  

What i did:
1. While running in integrated.bat, disable igpu. Internal display should go black.
4. Reboot with hotplug,  (external screen works, internal screen black) and install amd drivers for your specific model.
5. Before restarting, Use gpu-switch dedicated.bat in cmd (admin) if it was running with integrated.bat 
7. All monitors should come alive and both dgpu and egpu will come alive with igpu disabled. (who needs that piece of shit anyways)

My results for humble bragging purposes. Next is to setup bootloader (refind) to avoid that dreaded bsod on boot with thunderbolt and my setup would be perfect.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
23mrtbone
(@23mrtbone)
Eminent Member
March 30, 2017 7:40 pm  
Posted by: lalaboi

What i did:

Any resolution on a clean boot up after all said and done? I'm planning to get an eGPU soon and having the dGPU power the internal and the eGPU power just externals is my ideal situation! Also, is it necessary to even enable the iGPU in the beginning to achieve this?

Thanks.

ReplyQuote
livingroom
(@livingroom)
May 2, 2017 5:45 pm  

you will never know how much this helped me. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

ReplyQuote