Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Gigabyte Z390 Designare (GTX1080TIx2) [9th,8C,K] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (S...

2018 Gigabyte Z390 Designare (GTX1080TIx2) [9th,8C,K] + GTX 1070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [philw]  

RSS

philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

System specs:
Home Build Gigabyte Z390 Designare (w TB3), Core i9-9900K, 64GB, 2x GTX 1080TI, Win 10

eGPU hardware:
Sonnet eGFX, GTX 1070

Installation steps:
It just worked 🙂

Benchmarks:
Octane Bench 558

Comments:
Awesome Redshift & C4D rendering...

This topic was modified 4 months ago

Given up on all my Macs...but successfully running: Gigabyte Designare Z390, Core i9-9900K, 64GB RAM, 2x Internal GTX 1080TI, 2x GTX 1070 eGPU (Sonnet eGFX)

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@philw Nice build! Do you know if the Thunderbolt 3 controller connects to the CPU or PCH on this board?

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

@itsage Unsure, sorry! And posting about my success obviously jinxed it. Was happily running all 3 GPUs, with 4 SATA SSDs and all network interfaces enabled... and now the 1070 has the dreaded Error 12. Can't get it back even with disabling a load of those resources.

So damn random! And to confuse even more, I switched the 1070 for an AMD RX580 and that worked fine.... 

I wish it would be either consistently great or consistently crap 🙂

Given up on all my Macs...but successfully running: Gigabyte Designare Z390, Core i9-9900K, 64GB RAM, 2x Internal GTX 1080TI, 2x GTX 1070 eGPU (Sonnet eGFX)

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Prominent Member

The review at www.tweaktown.com says the Thunderbolt controller only uses two PCIe 3.0 lanes. That is either wrong or bad (should be 4 lanes).

The review says there's a HD3SS215 6.0 Gbps HDMI DisplayPort 2:1/1:2 Differential Switch to switch between the DisplayPort input and the iGPU. This is bad because the switch can't handle DisplayPort 1.4 (the review implies it can - probably wrong). To support DisplayPort 1.4, it would need to use a HD3SS214 8.1 Gbps DisplayPort 1.4 2:1/1:2 Differential Switch. Or maybe the switch is used for some other purpose. Maybe the review listed the wrong switch. Maybe Gigabyte overclocked the switch.

There's only one DisplayPort input, so 5K dual link SST DisplayPort 1.2 Thunderbolt displays can only be handled by the iGPU. DisplayPort 1.4 displays probably can't work because of the HD3SS215 switch.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@joevt3 This photo of the motherboard shows one Titan Ridge [JHL7540] Thunderbolt 3 controller and two TI83 USB-C controllers so no chance the connection is x2 PCIe 3.0. @philw Can you run HWiNFO64 and expand the Thunderbolt 3 connection through the PCI Express root? Here are a couple of example what they look like; left is CPU attachment and right is PCH attachment.

Regarding error 12 can you tell us your procedure of connecting the GTX 1070 eGPU? Have you made changes in the BIOS under Peripherals > Thunderbolt? On my X99 Designare, I had Thunderbolt Boot Support [ENABLED] at eGPU connected at boot to be able to use it. Hot-plug doesn’t work on this board for me.

This post was modified 9 months ago

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

Here you go...

I'll check my Thunderbolt Boot Support option 🙂 Thanks!

HWiNFO64 Mv0XYEc9OJ

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@philw Thank you! It’s through the PCH but connected through x4 PCIe 3.0 connection like we thought. When you run CUDA-Z can you share the screen capture of the Performance tab for the GTX 1070 eGPU?

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

Wait.... 

I enabled  the Thunderbolt Boot option... and restarted and no change. I then did a proper power cycle on the eGFX box and this time it has booted up and is working (but I've been here before!)... so I grabbed the GPU-Z while I could.... Thanks!

CUDA Z 0.10.251 64bit oeZBjDNyjs

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Glad to hear it’s working again without error 12. However there’s something not right with your Thunderbolt 3 connection on this board. The Host-to-Device should be closer to 22XX while Device-to-Host should be closer to 27XX (full Thunderbolt 3 bandwidth). There are some strange things going on with TB3 support on desktop motherboards. I had a similar experience recently on my X99 TB3 build in that the Thunderbolt 3 connection dropped to half speed. Can you click on the PCI Express root port that hosts the eGPU and check for Current Link Width? It should be 4x but the numbers in CUDA-Z indicate it’s at 2x or less.

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

I think that will be because I had stepped it down to Gen 1 in the BIOS as part of the troubleshooting madness...

Switched it back...

CUDA Z 0.10.251 64bit eITJ8daG2W
CUDA Z 0.10.251 64bit QKX4CpscuR
CUDA Z 0.10.251 64bit j7KH6Y4XqS
HWiNFO64 4CJZNdWVqV
HWiNFO64 lJvVB8s6jW

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Excellent! Enjoy your nice build!

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

Do you think I 'd be pushing it with my second eGFX with 1070?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

I have only tried one eGPU on desktop motherboard because there’s only one TB3 port. It would be cool to see two eGPUs!

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

Will do if I can find all those lost TB3 cables somewhere....

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

Success!!!!!!!

mmc nyuQRSTWV4
CUDA Z 0.10.251 64bit 4fDHG97ZuC
CUDA Z 0.10.251 64bit uPXr2oOQSZ
octane 6qXEcQPZRb
octane 3xAn0J0tBE
IMG 6050
IMG 6049

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

Nice to see both eGPUs going and functional!

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

I had opened a ticket with Gigabyte ... but they weren’t much help... when I reported back that the boot setting in the BIOS was key they said that they thought that setting auto updated the first time anything thunderbolty was plugged in... and were surprised I had to manually set it. Generally everything Thunderbolt seemed to scare them.

ReplyQuote
testing123
(@testing123)

Fantastic troubleshooting thread!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

Question... I have to two more 1070s kicking around that I'd like to get into the pipeline for Redshift rendering... what would be a decent PCI-E card and enclosure setup for 6 cards externally? I get confused by the whole non-TB world 🙂

Rendering compute only.

Must be the Macboy in me.

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

I had a swap around - put two 1070s inside the PC and the two 1080ti in the eGPUs - all working fine and the temps inside the case staying a bit lower now. Do you thing there's enough capacity to put another 1070 inside or am I out of lanes ?

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@philw Perhaps it’s time for Threadripper! If you’re in the US, the Ryzen 2920X is $299 and X399 motherboard is relatively affordable.

ReplyQuote
philw
(@philw)
Trusted Member

Maybe 🙂  Just wanted to put my eGPUs boxes to good use 🙂 and still no official thunderbolt on AMD?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@philw There’s one X570 motherboard released with Thunderbolt 3 onboard, ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3. Other than that there’s no official word regarding Thunderbolt 3 support on AMD systems. My Threadripper Thunderbolt 3 test machine has been running very reliably with the GC-TITAN-RIDGE add-in card.

ReplyQuote