This is my first EXP GDC build. I've had this HP 8300 Small Form Factor (SFF) PC for about a year already. Originally I had installed a GTX 1050Ti, but I wanted to run VR on the machine and the 1050Ti simply didn't have enough horsepower to get me there. I found eGPU.io and decided to give in a try...
HP 8300 SFF, i7-3770 CPU @ 3.4Ghz, 16Gb RAM/250Gb SSD
EXP-GDC v8.5 mPCIe version + MSI GTX 1070 Gamer X + Thermaltake 500 watt 80+ PSU + StarTech 1x PCIe to mPCIe adapter
1. Remove any dGPUs already in your HP 8300. Start your computer once with the monitor attached to the built-in display port. The Intel Graphics drivers should install by themselves if you're attached to the Internet.
2. Turn off the machine after adjusting your display.
3. Install the StarTech riser in the 1x slot on the motherboard.
4. Install the EXP-GDC mPCIe into the StarTech riser and run the cable out one of the other open slots.
5. Connect up your GPU, and PSU to the EXP GDC unit per instructions.
6. Fire it up! It just kind of works! Remember to run your monitor off the eGPU for best results.
VRMark Orange Room - 6,873 (Super)
3DMark Timespy - 4,538
These numbers should enable me to run my Samsung Odyssey HMD. This is way better than my 1050Ti. I'll update later and let you know how it goes!
I have HP 8300 USDT, i7-3470S CPU 12Gb RAM/250Gb SSD. I am happy with the cpu performance but gpu. Need to get something ready to edit 1080p videos in Filmora.
Do you know if the same set up would work with my USDT. BIOS is k01 family latest version 03.08 Rev.A
I am worried because when I tried quadro m1000 via mxm slot, it went to black screen. I assumed its video card whitelist issue.
RAM: 12GB DDR3
Storage: 256GB SSD+ 1TB HDD