2011 14" HP 8460P + [email protected] (EXP GDC BEAST 8.3e) + Win10 [rudavatra]^  

RSS

rudavatra
(@rudavatra)
February 23, 2017 5:33 pm  

14" HP EliteBook 8460p
i5-2540M CPU
8GB ram
SSD disk
Win10 Pro
Intel HD 3000 igpu
AMD  Radeon HD 6850  egpu

External LCD monitor

EXP GDC beast 8.3e conected to PCIexpress port x2

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12008389

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12011669

1.creation of dsdt-modified.dsl  file 

a) use for extraction DSDT editor and also, in my case, for correcting errors.
         https://cgc.com.kw/category/computers/egpu/
        I was able to create DSDT override file in couple of minutes.

b) use this guide to create dsdt-modified file (intel method)

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/

It is necessary to fix errors in dsdt-modified.dsl file.In this part my source of knowledge was again DSDT  editor and , i correct the dsdt-modified.dsl file like DSDT editor did  with help of PSPad (compare two documents function).

2. compile of dsdt-modified.dsl file

3. DSDT substitution with  bug fixed  setup 1.35  and 36 bit compaction
and finally after reboot, well done commander

p.s. thank you Nando for fast support

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
12boombox
(@12boombox)
February 27, 2017 7:05 pm  

Hey, I own a 8460p laptop and I was wondering how you connected it to a eGPU and what would I need for it. I've seen guides, but I really just want to know from somebody who has done it... I believe the only way to connect one is through opening up my laptop, so I just wanted to know how you did it.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
February 27, 2017 7:14 pm  
Posted by: 12boombox

Hey, I own a 8460p laptop and I was wondering how you connected it to a eGPU and what would I need for it. I've seen guides, but I really just want to know from somebody who has done it... I believe the only way to connect one is through opening up my laptop, so I just wanted to know how you did it.

Your 8460P has an expresscard slot above the DVD near the front which will have an ejectable blank. Just push it in and eject the blank.  You can see it below:

Please refer to the following article to see a picture of an expresscard eGPU, the pros/cons of expresscard and the recommended eGPU adapter for you: https://egpu.io/expresscard-2-0-egpu-interface-pros-cons-candidate-notebook-list/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

12boombox liked
ReplyQuote
12boombox
(@12boombox)
February 27, 2017 7:20 pm  

Love you man, thanks so much

no homo "sluuuurp"

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
12boombox
(@12boombox)
February 27, 2017 7:27 pm  

Sorry one more thing, A External LCD as I am a aware is a external monitor? And basically All I need to buy is the adapter and video card, (I hear optimus, is a software for eGPUs)

ReplyQuote
rudavatra
(@rudavatra)
February 27, 2017 7:32 pm  

Hello, yes, I use exactly  that express card slot on the picture above.

You need   Express card Cable Compatible Type 34/54 Interface which is used to connect, it is more comfortable then opening case and  this solution  is also gentle to the cable (my last configuration was connected inside and very soon cable was broken).

ReplyQuote
rudavatra
(@rudavatra)
February 27, 2017 7:49 pm  

With external monitor you will have better performance, if you have  iGPU HD 3000 and external Nvidia card (compatibe with optimus drivers) , you can use optimus drivers to  speed up performance for internal LCD display.

https://egpu.io/performance-internal-vs-external-display/

ReplyQuote
12boombox
(@12boombox)
February 27, 2017 8:05 pm  

Thanks for all the help, I was planning to use this GPU but if it will run faster with a Nvidia Video cardI might concider another one. This laptop has a pretty decent CPU and I was wondering what kind of games I could play even on Low

ReplyQuote
bambou78
(@bambou78)
February 28, 2017 9:41 am  

hi all , 

i have 2 questions 🙂 for my 4530S (15" Core i5 ) 

1 - Must i desactivate the Discrete Graphic , and only run under HD3000 for DSDT Operation ?

2 - Must i connect EGPU GDC EXP + Quadro 4000 for DSDT Operation or not ?

Thanks for your help 🙂

ReplyQuote
rudavatra
(@rudavatra)
February 28, 2017 4:09 pm  

To bambou78: Hello , there is no need to connect egpu for dsdt override.

bambou78 liked
ReplyQuote
bambou78
(@bambou78)
February 28, 2017 10:42 pm  
Posted by: rudavatra

To bambou78: Hello , there is no need to connect egpu for dsdt override.

Thansk for the question #2 🙂 but for the #1 ?

ReplyQuote
rudavatra
(@rudavatra)
March 1, 2017 2:28 pm  

now I understand ,you have on your notebook integrated HD intel graphic and some dedicated graphic card , so i think you don't have to do DSDT override if you have setup 1.x from nando4

i found here information below> http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/diy-egpu-experiences.418851/#firststeps

"10. My system has switchable graphics. Can I still do install a DIY eGPU?

Yes you can. Setup 1.x's (Video card->Hybrid Graphics.dedicated=off) allows the dedicated graphics component to be completely disabled on Series-5 or older chipsets, freeing up 32-bit resources to host the desktop eGPU. If your primary video card is a Intel 4500MHD, HD, HD3000 or HD4000 then can even do a x1.Opt NVIDIA setup"

so for answer question 1: if you turn off dedicated card you will have enough resources for eGpu card(no need for dsdt override) , but i think you need setup 1.35 to allocate eGpu. If dedicated card is enabled , you have to do dsdt override to free resources for eGpu.

I think the scenario with setup 1.35 will be faster then do dsdt override and less stressful ,but i am not expert in this case, ask

nando4

ReplyQuote
3RYL
 3RYL
(@3ryl)
Eminent Member
April 26, 2017 12:18 am  

Hi. One question about the 8460p:
Can you remove the CPU heatsink just after taking off the bottom cover? without further disassembly?

Chimera ~ 2011 15" Dell Vostro 3550 HD6630M + [email protected] (PE4C 3.0) +Win7
My adapter models for eGPU case projects

ReplyQuote
rudavatra
(@rudavatra)
April 27, 2017 4:52 pm  

Source pdf file:HP maintance manual

Before removing the heat sink, follow these steps:

1. Shut down the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn

the computer on, and then shut it down through the operating system.

2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer.

3. Disconnect the power from the computer by first unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet,

and then unplugging the AC adapter from the computer.

4. Remove the battery (see Battery on page 63).

5. Remove the bottom door (see Bottom door on page 70).

6. Remove the fan (see Fan on page 90).

Remove the heat sink:

1. Position the computer upside-down with the front toward you.

2. In the order indicated on the heat sink, loosen the captive Phillips screws (1) that secure the

heat sink to the system board. The discrete heat sink has six screws, while the UMA heat sink

has four screws. Both heat sinks are illustrated below.

3. Lift the right side of the heat sink up at an angle (2).

3RYL liked
ReplyQuote
kamir1234
(@kamir1234)
March 30, 2018 4:36 pm  

Hello there,

I got the exp gdc eGPU  expresscard version set for my 8460p, but I got no post when I booting my laptop.

It's only got work hotplug in windows,

do you have the same problem?

How can I do, thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@windscape)
April 28, 2018 7:58 am  

Hi, i own an HP elitebook 8440p. Could i still prefrom a similar setup? I have an express card slot.

i havent seen anyone do an eGPU setup with a 8440p so im hoping an 8460p will be similar enough.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
April 28, 2018 10:53 am  

@@windscape, yes, a 8440P can use an eGPU. I've helped an offline user set up their eGPU on a 8440P.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
(@windscape)
April 28, 2018 3:53 pm  

Ah ok. I have 1 question. I heard if u have integrated graphics, you can setup an eGPU without an external monitor, but if u already have discrete graphics, you need an external monitor. Is this true?

ReplyQuote