HP [email protected] + 2018 13" Dell XPS 9370 | 2016 13" HP Elitebook x360 1080 G2 | Desktop + RX 480 | GTX 1080 // compare desktop & TB3 performance  

RSS

kisscoool18
(@kisscoool18)
March 14, 2018 12:22 pm  

Intro

After a long waiting for a good price for the Gigabyte Gaming Box, I finally bought the HP Omen Accelerator which offers more feature for a lower price, but the bigger size.

I've got 2 laptops and a desktop, and two GPU, so I decided to make a full benchmark campaign and share it.

System specs

Desktop HP Elitebook 1030 G2 13" Dell XPS 9370 13"
CPU i5-3570K (Quad Core) i5-7200U (Dual Core) i7-8550U (Quad Core)
iGPU HD 4000 HD 620 UHD 620
RAM 16 GB 8 GB 16 GB
eGPU enclosure X HP Omen accelerator  HP Omen accelerator
CUDA-Z (H2D) X ~ 2200 MiB/s ~ 2200 MiB/s

All runs updated Windows 10 64bit. I used the 0.5m TB3 cable bundled with the Omen, and a Belkin 2m active TB3 one : I saw no difference in performances.

Installation steps

I installed all updated drivers and firmwares (02/23/2018).

Benchmarks

All benchmark were on external monitor, with respective highest preset. Result is an average of at least two runs. "X" means that the benchmark didn't complete well (didn't start, crashed...).

Intel HD (iGPU) AMD Radeon RX 480 Nvidia GTX 1080
  Desktop HP Dell Desktop HP Dell Desktop HP Dell
Unigine Valley (2013) 3 fps 4 fps 5 fps 51 fps 47 fps 46 fps 95 fps 78 fps 87 fps
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (2016) 1 fps 4 fps 4 fps 44 fps 32 fps 34 fps 60 fps 49 fps 49 fps
Rise of the Tomb Raider (2015) 1 fps X 6 fps 55 fps X 48 fps 60 fps X 59 fps
Final Fantasy XV (2018) X X X 3101 pts X 2584 pts 6999 pts X 5493 pts
Average performance lost compared to same GPU in desktop > 18% 15% > 17% 12%

Some game didn't run correctly with only 8GB RAM (I guess that's the reason).

The Dell, with his Quad Core and double RAM, seems to perform better that the HP on almost all bench. Performance lost compared to same GPU in desktop is reasonable, between 12% ans 18%.

Comments

I'm quite happy with this tests, the HP Omen Accelerator is very quiet, performance are good.
While testing, I could notice some problems if I connected some USB devices like mouse or keyboard at the Omen, but I didn't take the time to investigate further.

I've noticed that I've got a BSOD if I restart the Dell while connected to the Omen...

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

4chip4, nando4 and theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Sky11
(@sky11)
Reputable Member
March 14, 2018 1:49 pm  

Please update your HP Omen Accelerator - the factory one is problematic. (Someone here on forums posted a direct link - and I know for sure that update improved interoperability, etc.)
Also please double check your Dell for updates: there is a very recent BIOS update and most importantly, Thunderbolt firmware update:   http://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cadhs1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=3H3DP  

What AMD driver are you using with your RX480? Can you please try update the firmware on both HP box and your Dell, and then check if you are still getting any BSODs (with the latest AMD drivers)

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
kisscoool18
(@kisscoool18)
March 14, 2018 7:11 pm  

Thank you for your update suggestion, as stated in my first post, all driver were up-to-date on the 02-23-2018.
But in the meanwhile a new Dell Bios update was released, I've just installed it.
Your link shows an January update thus I've already installed it (to be sure I've installed it again).
I've tried to install the Omen firmware, but as others the installation partially fails.
After theses updates and few tests, bad news : sometimes the Accelerator isn't detected, sometime the Dell powers up but show a black screen, and sometimes it's the BSOD : nothing is stable !

ReplyQuote
(@karl_uibo)
June 24, 2018 6:11 pm  

I would like to do the same build and wondered if the Omen Acc can power the x360? Omen is said to output 60W and the supplies you can get for x360 are 65W. The original supply is also 65W. My monitor has some power output over thunderbolt and that is not enough to charge the x360. That said the HP software that deals with charging says that its able to use lower power input its just that my monitor gives way to little out.

Have you continiued using this setup? Have you had any problems with disconnecting USB devices etc?

ReplyQuote
mats
 mats
(@mats)
August 17, 2018 6:23 am  

Which settings in Unigine Valley did you use?

ReplyQuote
kisscoool18
(@kisscoool18)
August 17, 2018 11:52 pm  
Posted by: mats

Which settings in Unigine Valley did you use?

I used the highest preset, at 1080p.

ReplyQuote