2012 14" HP Elitebook 8470P + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.5c) + Win10 [Dub Monster]  

RSS

(@dub_monster)
July 31, 2018 4:17 pm  

First of all, i'm not good at typing shortly, this text is bit long but hold tight.

Hello, I just got my eGPU running, it's bit work in progress as i have set up clover to patch DSDT without using test mode on Windows, also i need to make enclosure for this and get better GPU someday!

My laptop what i'm using is:
-Elitebook 8470P with i5-3320M
-8GB of DDR3 RAM
-128GB SSD
-1600x900 14" screen (external is 24" 1080P HP 24o monitor)
-iGPU HD 4000
-Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

eGPU
: Sapphire ATi RADEON HD 4890 with slight overclock (core at 865 Mhz)
EXP GDC Beast 8.5c
Chieftec GPS-500A8
Here is some pictures of my PSU and GPU i use. Also GPU-Z pic is here!.. There is also small bonus of what happens when you mess up with Windows too much (that SrtTrail error)

Installation Steps: First of all, check all power lines and reseat GPU to ensure it's properly on it's place! I had to set PSU to be always on because it's easier to time it properly on boot, i can always shut the PSU off from back when i don't need it so yeah..

On my laptop when i plugged the GPU first time, i did it when the system was running and left it for a while to download drivers and think, then i came back and decided to give it a cold boot. I shut down the laptop and unplug data line cable, then waited for a while until all lights went off. Time to hit power button and wait until i see HP logo, then it's was time to plug the data line, if i have it on boot the laptop refuses to boot at all and delay switch on adapted does nothing to help. ALRIGHT, i got it to Windows, GPU hooked to external monitor what shows nothing at all. I opened device manager and found the GPU gives error 12, i googled "eGPU error 12 fix" (DSDT patch)and followed the instructions (@nando4 made the guide on this same page). I run this with Windows test mode on. 

Running GPU in Gen1 seems to better than in Gen2. Also i don't see noticeable difference in performance when running on Gen2. Integrated GPU is not disabled as i don't see it necessary, laptop works fine with it enabled

Comments: I did this because i want to tinker with things, and this was project i've always wanted to do someday. I casually play some games like PAYDAY 2, Assetto Corsa and My Summer Car and they run very well even on this old GPU.

8470p {3320M, HD 4000, 8GB DDR3, 128GB+128GB, 1600x900 14"}
eGPU: EXP GDC Beast 8.4C, Dell DA-2/GPS-500A8

jeemaline, nando4, theitsage and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
skatelove
(@skatelove)
August 2, 2018 5:13 am  

Hi @Dub Monster, you rock!!! im facing a similar build (8470p, GDC 8.5 & W10) but with a 270X, well, it was a hell today to get it recognized by windows, but i just got it @ ATX PWR: ON, 7S delay and by this method: "from everything shutted off, i just power on PSU with the eGPU unplugged, then, start my laptop and while windows boot i just plug it in"

It was a hell to get it recognized by Windows, but with this method i just get 2 consecutive boots up and now im at error 12 level hah, so well... my time for asking in there!

Can you share ur DSDT file? how do u pass that? ill buy setup 1.3x, but IDK how to use it heh, can you guide me a bit? heh

Soon ill post photos and some benchs! Thanks in advance, you rock!

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@dub_monster)
August 2, 2018 7:03 am  

Hello, @skatelove !
Does your 8470p have exactly same hardware configuration as mine? (i5 3320M, 1600x900 screen..etc..)

For the initial startup best way is to first put PSU on and then power up the laptop. Timing is not so critical, but plug the data line when you see HP logo, try before those small balls starts moving in circular motion, then GPU get recognized. 

What data interface are you using? ExpressCard i bet. 
About the DSDT file, i will not upload it, sorry.. That DSDT file is bit like one-of-a-kind, i can't be sure about compatibility with your PC at all. It might not work at all. 
Creating the DSDT file is not hard at all, just follow this guide and you are good to go  https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/
use Intel method with it. There is also guide how to use Setup 1.3.x to "inject" DSDT file..

ReplyQuote
skatelove
(@skatelove)
August 3, 2018 12:42 am  
Posted by: Dub Monster

Hello, @skatelove !
Does your 8470p have exactly same hardware configuration as mine? (i5 3320M, 1600x900 screen..etc..)

For the initial startup best way is to first put PSU on and then power up the laptop. Timing is not so critical, but plug the data line when you see HP logo, try before those small balls starts moving in circular motion, then GPU get recognized. 

What data interface are you using? ExpressCard i bet. 
About the DSDT file, i will not upload it, sorry.. That DSDT file is bit like one-of-a-kind, i can't be sure about compatibility with your PC at all. It might not work at all. 
Creating the DSDT file is not hard at all, just follow this guide and you are good to go  https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/fix-dsdt-override-to-correct-error-12/
use Intel method with it. There is also guide how to use Setup 1.3.x to "inject" DSDT file..

And then how do u get it to work?

Mine is running a 3740QM with a HD (1366x768) display, can you help me with the part after creating the DSDT?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@dub_monster)
August 3, 2018 11:19 am  

So what method do you want to use, that Test Signing Mode or that Clover patch? Steps for that Test Signing Mode is in that guide i linked. Anyway that guide is easy to follow, just take a deep breath and read thoughfully

ReplyQuote
skatelove
(@skatelove)
August 9, 2018 2:42 am  
Posted by: Dub Monster

So what method do you want to use, that Test Signing Mode or that Clover patch? Steps for that Test Signing Mode is in that guide i linked. Anyway that guide is easy to follow, just take a deep breath and read thoughfully

Im loving you <3 hahha

Well, i want the clover method, cuz in Test Signing mode i cant play games anyway... is there any hard part that cost u some more time than the rest parts of the method? how do you get clover to work with dsdt override?

Ill post some photos in this post!!!

https://imgur.com/a/s2jwujZ

ReplyQuote