2015 HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini [6th,4C,T] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SL) +...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini [6th,4C,T] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SL) + Win10 // Ultra SFF eGPU build attempt  

RSS

Dashton Peccia
(@dashton_peccia)

This is my first attempt at creating an ultra small form factor gaming PC, currently it is a mess as I am still trying to diagnose issues with the build (there seem to be some severe performance issues).  

System specs: 

HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini -- Intel HD Graphics 530 iGPU / 32GB DDR4 RAM / 500GB WD BLUE SATA SSD

eGPU Hardware:

ADT-Link R43SL + RX 580 + KDM Power 500 WATT PSU (Jumper on the 24 Pin connector) + 24" 1080p Samsung Curved Monitor

Hardware Pictures:  

Apologize for the sloppiness / poor lighting.  I plan on cleaning this build up after I solve the issues with performance. 

Installation Steps:

Plugged in the ADT-Link R43SL to the m.2 slot, connected the power cable to the ADT-Link and the power cables to the GPU.  Jumped the 24 pin mobo connector on the PSU. Turned on the PSU, Saphire RX 580 light comes on.  Started the PC and the eGPU setup was immediately detected --> Installed drivers and was done.

Benchmarks: 

I will update this with more later today once I can test, also sorry for the terrible image quality.  I was in a rush this morning and didn't even have time to screencap and email it to myself -- 

Comments:

The test results for the Unigine Heaven benchmark seemed quite low to me.  I'm not sure if it's normal or not, as this is my first run on the Unigine benchmark, but there seemed to be quite a bit of stutter and as you can see the frame-rate dropped to 14.9 FPS at times.  

Things that I will try once I get home:

• BIOS update if needed *There was a bios update available, downloaded and installed*
  • Check to ensure that the benchmark / games aren't defaulting to the iGPU (disable the iGPU device) 
  • Run HWINFO report to determine PCIe lanes are X4 (not X1) and they are running at Gen 3, if not I will try the Nando software solution  *was detecting the proper X4 3.0 connection*
  • AIDA64 Bandwidth test *See above*

Update -- 7:00PM (BIOS updated, AIDA64 GPGPU Test, and HWINFO64 Report):

I have updated the benchmarks section with the new tests / reports.  The HWINFO64 and AIDA64 tests both look fine, right?  BUT I do see the Intel HD Graphics 530 coming up as the first GPU in both AIDA64 and HWINFO64... time to disable it --> Didn't change anything. 

Now, I have tested Unigine Heaven 4.0 identically to pbrunts build / test  since his system was somewhat similar to mine, albeit a better processor (I don't believe Heaven 4.0 is very CPU intensive?).  My result yields only 67% the performance that his result did, so something seems wrong in this build.  Any help, tips, or advice is appreciated.  At this point I am clueless.

Update 2 -- 9:00PM Added a GPU-Z Report screencap:

Well, I think this report diagnoses the issue... GPU-Z reports the bus interface as PCIe 3.0 x16 @ x4 1.1.  I'm going to try to follow Nando's instructions on dealing with this.

Update 3 -- 9:10PM Wait a minute.. what is going on here?? 

GPU-Z first reported the bandwidth as @ x4 1.1, but now shows at x4 3.0, and I did not press anything.  I was just staring at the report and it suddenly switched (only Chrome open in the background):

What would be causing this to switch back and forth between x4 1.1 and x4 3.0 like that? Is this normal and expected behavior?   

And I've done another test in Unigine Heaven 4.0... I restarted the computer and set the RX 580 to the default GPU in BIOS (Idk if this actually had any effect), after the computer restarted I got this Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark score:

For some reason the average FPS increased by 10FPS... no small change.. very strange indeed.  Something seems to definitely be going on here.

This topic was modified 2 months ago
2015 HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini [6th,4C,T] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SL) + Win10 [build link]  

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@dashton_peccia, Nice build! AIDA64 confirmed your setup is running at x4 PCIe 3.0. GPU-Z would typically show the resting mode of the connection. I would say to go into Windows advanced power settings and make changes PCI Express power state.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Dashton Peccia
(@dashton_peccia)

@itsage, Sure thing, I will try that once I get home tonight.  There was a PCI Express power saving setting in the BIOS that I disabled as well, are the Windows PCI Express power settings separate from that? 

2015 HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini [6th,4C,T] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SL) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote