Setup & Software Discussions
2019 13" HP Spectre X360 [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) +...

2019 13" HP Spectre X360 [10th,4C,U] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 1909 [Carmonben] // integrated TB3 controller  

RSS

(@carmonben)
Eminent Member

System specs

13 inch specter x360 with 4k oled (HP Spectre x360 - 13t-aw000 CTO)
1065G7 with 16gb of ram (15w tdp model)
Iris plus graphics, (GT2 64CU)  https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/details/6xzm7
the included ssd is a model pm981 from samsung (see userbench for details)

eGPU hardware 

Razer Core X
external rtx 2080 ti (EVGA FTW3) [2 slot bracket purchased and lip cut off to fit in the core x)

Mantiz cable 

Hardware pictures

Installation steps

Plug and play tbh
It started working immediately but I installed the newest drivers afterwards.

Benchmarks

Userbench result

Comments 

I was already on egpu with my old laptop (still my main system) I just needed a smaller device.
It runs the index well (with the 2080ti) at least in pistol whip.
egpu was really icing on the cake of oled 2 in 1

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

My current laptop with a 9900k and 1060 with an external 2080ti

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
(@oliver_werk)

Thanks for sharing. Can you say something about the noise level when gaming or just browsing?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@carmonben)
Eminent Member

@oliver_werk

When browsing and watching sub 4k YouTube it's silent. When watching 4khdr YouTube it spools up a bit but to the point where it's inaudible when I have my iems in.

However in VR it's noticeably loud. (Won't notice it with the headset on but when you take it off it'll be obvious.)

What I will say tho is I'm a bad judge of noise, my high end laptop is very very loud and I don't care at all.

ReplyQuote
yeah_mike
(@yeah_mike)

Thank you for sharing.

Is your setup "hot-pluggable?" If you were to unplug and re-plug the TB3 cable, with or without "ejecting" the eGPU from within Windows first, does everything still work?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
(@carmonben)
Eminent Member

@yeah_mike

Applications being open will either crash or cause a bluescreen depending on how much they use the egpu
but if everything is closed (desktop) it works just fine.

ReplyQuote
ganmo
(@ganmo)

Posted by: @carmonben

@yeah_mike

Applications being open will either crash or cause a bluescreen depending on how much they use the egpu

Will it also crash if you first sleep your laptop, unplug the eGPU, and then wake up your laptop?

ReplyQuote
yeah_mike
(@yeah_mike)

Posted by: @carmonben

@yeah_mike

Got it, thanks.

What about when you plug the laptop back in: does the eGPU/external monitor work automatically? Or do you have to enable it manually via Device Manager or via the Nvidia system tray app? 

ReplyQuote
(@carmonben)
Eminent Member

@yeah_mike

you only have to manually reenable it via device manager or the nvidia thingey if you disable it through those (btw the nvidia thingey disables it in device manager and vice versa)

ReplyQuote