2017 13" HP Spectre X360 [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 [adept7771]
System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system)
HP spectre x360 13-ae012ur
Intel Core i7 8550U 1800 // 16 GB LPDDR3 2133 // Win10 home // Intel UHD Graphics 620 // 13 inch Display
+ 27 inches external Monitor
eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)
Aorus Gaming Box 1080GTX
Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)
1. Connected box to notebook with complitable cable from package + plugged in power cable
2. Installed Aorus Gaming Box driver from Gygabyte site
3. Installed Nvidia 1080GTX driver from nvidia site
Yep! It's works fine.
Update: i also downloaded FW update files from Gygabyte site and updated box firmaware, it's gave me +10-15 FPS in games.
I just play in several games. All games tested in external GPU and external Monitor:
ForHonor ULTRA preset (90fps+)
PUBG Ultra 45-70FPS, High 55-90FPS
Civilization IV 90FPS+
Civilization V 80FPS+
Wath dogs ULTRA 40-80FPS
Assasins creed origins ULTRA preset 50-90FPS
Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming?)
- All works perfect right out of box. And that's fine.
- Mobility. You can get your laptop and card and go to your friends 🙂 to play together
- This system is 100% alternative to typical desctop system. You can write code, work with graphics, play games, and many other hard tasks for your device.
- you can get +1 monitor (notebook's monitor)
- no trottling problemes detected
- There is one bug which i just not solved yet. HID devices (mouse, keyboard) in USB ports on backside of Aorus works luggy, and from time to time hangs up for 0.5 sec. What is it? I don't know yet. But i will find solution.
- In some scenes in games, with many dinamic lights, processor gets 100% loading and fps dramatically fells down from 80 FPS to 30-40 for 0.5-1 sec. This case often repeats several time while 3-4 hours gaming session. All of the other time in games processor loaded for 50-70% and card for 50-90%.
- Noice. Under hard gaming session it creates 65Db+ (!). In ordinar work - 50db. If this system located on your work table, playing without headphones is very noisy and annoying.
Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts
You might want to use a separate hub for USB for lag-sensitive devices - the issues you're seeing are chipset level and typical for all enclosures of that generation.
2017 HP Spectre x360 15 i7-8550U GTX150 + GTX970@16Gbps-TB3 (HP Omen Accelerator) + Oculus Rift + Win10 (no guide)
HP Omen Accelerator Thunderbolt 3 enclosure legs stand removal walkthrough
Employed by HP, but my posts and opinions expressed on this forum are my own.