late-2017 13" HP Spectre x360 8th gen + [email protected] + (Aorus Gaming Box x2) + Win10  

RSS

lyx0203
(@lyx0203)
February 28, 2018 11:36 pm  

Laptop Specs

i7 8550u
16GB DDR3
512SSD

Egpu

Gigabyte gaming box gtx 1070
Gigabyte gaming box gtx 1080

Hardware pic

Benchmarks

Both cards can be plugged in and been recognized.
Nicehash is giving me around 4/day when both cards are mining
I can stop the 1070 when gaming. No noticeable performance drop in CSGO and windowed PUBG but huge lag in fullscreen mode.

update1:
@nando4 Thank you for pointing out that my gigabyte gaming box 1070 version is running half the bandwidth. When I update the firmware I had a Thunderbolt software issue but quikly solved thanks to this reddit post by downgrading the software to 16.x version  https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/6wucfp/aorus_gaming_box_update_pd_firmware_version_error/
and now I got both boxes running full speed.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
March 1, 2018 4:00 am  

@lyx0203 , thank you for your build. I noticed the GTX1070 eGPU is giving the half-H2D values. Consider installing the H2D firmware enclosure & re-doing CUDA-Z benchmarks to correct that.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
lyx0203
(@lyx0203)
March 1, 2018 5:53 am  

update1:
@nando4 Thank you for pointing out that my gigabyte gaming box 1070 version is running half the bandwidth. When I update the firmware I had a Thunderbolt software issue but quikly solved thanks to this reddit post by downgrading the software to 16.x version  https://www.reddit.com/r/eGPU/comments/6wucfp/aorus_gaming_box_update_pd_firmware_version_error/  
and now I got both boxes running full speed.

Observation:
When both gaming boxes running full load, 1070's enclosure is significantly hotter than 1080's but the GPU itself is cooler than 1080.
And driver 388.13 seems more stable for multiple eGPUs than the newer ones.

This is a video of my setup

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
March 2, 2018 6:25 am  

Did you have to do anything special to get this to work? My Spectre is refusing to detect the eGPU in my Gaming Box at all. Charging works, but the eGPU does not.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
lyx0203
(@lyx0203)
March 2, 2018 7:58 am  

@yukikaze Mine was plug n play but has issues with newer nvidia drivers. I suggest you use DDU to clean up NV driver and let Microsoft install for you. I got 388.13 instead of the newest ones.

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
March 2, 2018 9:24 am  

@lyx0203 - I cleaned out all the drivers already. The GPU doesn't get detected at all. The enclosure is only detected by the laptop if the GPU is removed from it. Without the GPU the enclosure appears on the Thunderbolt3 chain and the LEDs are operational. If the GPU is in the enclosure, then no lights come on and only charging works. What build of Windows are you running? And what are your Thunderbolt versions looking like? Here is mine with no GPU in the box (Thunderbolt Software -> Settings -> Details):

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
lyx0203
(@lyx0203)
March 2, 2018 5:15 pm  

@yukikaze I have the exact TB software details as yours except my PD Firmware version is f407.06.10. And I am running windows 1709 OS build 16299.248.
Maybe you have a faulty GPU. Have you try with other TB3 laptop or other pcie hardware inside?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
March 2, 2018 5:31 pm  

The GPU is not faulty: The AORUS+GTX1050Ti combo works perfectly with my ZBook. The 1050Ti works with the Spectre if I stick it into a Thunder2 and connect via the Apple TB3->TB2 adapter, so it is something about this specific combo that behaves weird. I am on the same OS build as you, too. This is darn weird.

ReplyQuote
klausmeine
(@klausmeine)
Eminent Member
May 17, 2018 9:03 am  

Any new Ideas to this problem?
I´m still having similar  issues here with my Thunder 3 and 1050ti.
The enclosure is detected and the blue led is on. But the 1050ti is not recognized/ doesn`t show up in device manager.
The fan in the thunder3 doesn`t spin either.
I´m on Win10 home 1803 build 17134.1
TB Software version is 17.2.71.250
The card works perfectly in my PC

ReplyQuote
GBianecks
(@gbianecks)
July 24, 2018 3:03 am  

How well are the games running on it?

ReplyQuote
splotchywildcat78127
(@splotchywildcat78127)
November 6, 2018 8:09 am  

Is there an actual SLI like performance benefit to having 2 eGPUs plugged into your laptop?

ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
November 6, 2018 1:34 pm  

@splotchywildcat78127 AMD CrossFire and Nvidia SLI are not possible with eGPU.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote