2017 13" HP Spectre x360 (i7-8550U) + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [a5tp]
HP Spectre x360 - 2017
- Intel i7-8550U 15W TDP Quad Core
- 16gb RAM
- 512GB SSD
- Intel 620 IGP
AKiTiO Node Thunderbolt3 Enclosure
Included 50cm Cable
Gigabyte Windforce nVidia GTX970 4GB
Plug and play - installed latest GeForce drivers prior to connecting the eGPU.
UNIGINE Superposition - Extreme 1080p - https://imgur.com/nqimdWr
UNIGINE Superposition - Medium 1080p - https://imgur.com/vSjLdju
The node was definitely worth the price as I already had the 970 GTX from an old desktop spare. For my needs - 1080p gaming for regular long trips overseas, this is a great solution.
- Cheap price
- Easy plug and play setup and use
- Fits full size graphics cards
- Included 50cm cable is short and not very practical. Looking to get the 2m 40Gbps version soon.
- The unit is quite noisy - not really a problem as I game with headphones but I'd consider replacing the fan with a quieter model and certainly wouldn't leave it on while trying to sleep
- The Node is barebones. Extra ports and interfaces found on other cases would be handy, but the price is hard to argue with.
Overall I feel I will move to a smaller eGPU case and a 1050/1060 or AMD equivalent in a smaller form factor for improved portability, but this has been a great introduction to the world of Thunderbolt3 and eGPUs.
Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts