2015 15" HP Zbook Studio 15 G3 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @32Gbps-M2 (AD...

Notifications
Clear all

2015 15" HP ZBook Studio 15 G3 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1909 // GPU not detected after unplugging and replugging  

RSS

ILoveLamps
(@ilovelamps)

My eGPU had been working fine for a little while, even after unplugging and plugging back in the M.2 cable. However, recently I have not been able to get it working at all (see comments section). I would appreciate any feedback on this matter.

System specs (model inc screen size, CPU, iGPU, dGPU, operating system user which eGPU is being used)

• HP Zbook Studio G3
  • Intel i7-6700HQ (Max 3.50Ghz 4 cores)
  • 16GB RAM
  • Intel HD530 iGPU + Nvidia Quadro M1000M dGPU
  • Samsung M.2 NVME 512Gb SSD (according to BIOS, this is in M.2 slot #2)
  • Another M.2 slot is free for M.2 eGP
  • Windows 10 Professional 1909

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

• AMD RX5700XT Reference
  • ADT-Link R43SG  (50cm) M.2 eGPU adapter
  • Corsair SF600 Platinum (Initially used EVGA Supernova 650 G5 Gold)

Hardware pictures

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

1. Disabled the dGPU by following nando4's guide ( https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2015-15-dell-precision-7510-q-m1000m-6th4ch-gtx-1080-ti-32gbps-m2-adt-link-r43sg-win10-1803-nando4-compared-to-tb3-performance/#post-73879 )
  2. Uninstalled NVIDIA drivers and turned off the laptop.
  3. Attached the AMD GPU to the R43SG and connected the PSU cables
  4. Connected the M.2 cable to the spare M.2 slot on the laptop
  5. Connected the HDMI cable to the TV (Vizio M558-G1)
  6. Turned on the TV, PSU, and then the Laptop
  7. Display booted straight to the TV with the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter
  8. Installed Radeon Software Adrenalin 20.1.3

Benchmarks (w/ Vizio M558-G1 4k TV)

• MSI Kombustor FurMark (Vulkan)
    • FPS score was 49 which is  higher than that for OpenGL
    • I somehow lost my benchmark file before the eGPU stopped working

Comments (eg: how has the eGPU improved your workflow or gaming)

• I take my laptop to school everyday so I unplug and re-plug the eGPU once or twice every week. I've done this about 4 times and I've somehow managed to get the eGPU to work.
  • The first few times, I just restarted my laptop and it booted into the eGPU. 
  • More recently, I had to unplug the battery and hold the power button down for 10s for the eGPU to work.
  • However, I just switched my PSU from the EVGA Supernova 650 G5 Gold, to the Corsair SF600 Platinum. After making the switch, I have NOT been able to get the eGPU to work.
  • I have tried unplugging the battery and the BIOS, but still the eGPU is not being detected.
  • I have also tried playing around with the POWER(Auto/ON), PERST# and CLKRUN# delays on the R43SG board but still no positive results
  • I just bought the Wavlink UTE02 NVME to Thunderbolt 3 adapter to see if that works. However, I would prefer to use the M.2 slot given its better performance over Thunderbolt 3
  • Any feedback on how to get it to work would be greatly appreciated!
This topic was modified 6 months ago
2015 15" HP ZBook Studio 15 G3 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

itsage and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@ilovelamps

Do you have an M.2 drive to show that the M.2 slot still works?

Did you use an M.2 extender to save your M.2 slot from wear and tear?
https://www.amazon.ca/Hobbypower-NGFF-V2-0-Extender-Adapter/dp/B01CSB1ETE

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
ILoveLamps
(@ilovelamps)

@joevt 

Unfortunately, I do not have an extra M.2 drive. I'll keep an eye out on NVME deals and update the thread.

The R43SG already has what seems to be an M.2 wear protector. Is this what you mean?

2015 15" HP ZBook Studio 15 G3 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Tadas Šubonis
(@tadas_subonis)

Funny enough, but I have G3 too, and mine eGPU stopped working today. It's like failing to detect Core X altogether, but instead, I get some strange USB device that I can now eject.

https://imgur.com/a/NWpWt92

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

What I mean is, if you are going to remove or insert the R43SG often, then it might be better to insert it into an extender like the one that I linked. Leave the extender inside the laptop when you're not using the R43SG. If the M.2 slot is damage, you only need to replace the extender instead of the motherboard.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
legendofall
(@legendofall)

@ilovelamps

Hi I have a HP Zbook 17 G3. I am looking forward to connect a eGPU to my laptop. I did not yet get a chance to open the hood since i dont have a torx driver.  I think I have a PCIE NVME slot available with form factor M.2 with M key.

So should I order one of these items shown in the 4 different options links below to connect a eGPU to the available PCIE slot? Which one would you recommend? Please advise. Are there any alternatives for these items that can be purchased on amazon or bestbuy or walmart (any north american outet) that you are aware of? Your suggestions highly appreciated. 

1. item1   2. item2    3. item3    4. item4

On amazon I am able to find the beast which I am not entirely sure if would work on a form factor M.2 with M key. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@ilovelamps , sounds like your previous PSU had better power filtering that prevented interfering with the PCIe signal. Consider reverting back to your old PSU.  Some tidbits on M.2 eGPU testing ZBooks/Elitebooks ...

Using 2x Dell DA-2 220W PSUs, a HP ZBook 15 Studio G5 with a ADT-Link R43SG v1.1 and v1.2 (the current version). When combined with the JEYI Leidian NVME-to-TB3 adapter, attaching the eGPU to the TB3 port using either R43SG v1.1 or v1.2 board allows detection.

However, when attaching to the M.2 slot, only the v1.1 board allows GTX 1080 Ti detection. I've tried all switch combos, on multiple occasions. On that ZBook, the R43SG J1 jumper needs to be removed to enable PERST# on the ZBook or else just get a black bootup screen and a flashing CAPS keyboard LED.

Previous testing of a HP Elitebook 840 G5 yielding similar result. Didn't have a V1.2 board at that time. A V1.1 board also allowed GTX 1080 Ti detection but the addition of a m.2 protect board prevented detection. The Elitebook didn't require the PERST# delay jumper.

These HP systems differs to my Dell Precision 7510 which allowed detection with or without the m.2 protect board with either R43SG version.

Take home points?

1. The Elitebook/ZBooks M.2 slot appear very sensitive to signal quality. Is their M.2 slot far away from the PCH chip or their circuit traces are not as good at EMI standards as Dell?

2. ADT-Link R43SG V1.1 board appears to have better signal integrity than the V1.2 board. Not sure if you can get a V1.1 board. Or was it a silicon lottery related to the cables?

3. Suggest test using higher quality (ie: expensive) PSUs with better power filtering [I don't have one to confirm] and other GPUs as their impedance will differ slightly that also affect signal integrity. You might get detection with a different card.

@legendofall, recommend avoid EXP GDC 9.0b M.2 adapters. Their socketted interconnect HDMI cable (M.2 to EXP GDC) degrades signal quality when tested on my Dell Precision 7510.eg: Dirt Rally would show black spot artifacts and weird slow-down, speeds ups with EXP GDC, a tell-tale sign of signal issues requiring retransmits, which went away with the ADT-Link R43SG.

Given above experience with the better ADT-Link R43SG, that EXP GDC would most likely prevent eGPU detection on these highly strung Elitebook/ZBooks. The ADT-Link R43SG is the best M.2 adapter to attempt a M.2 eGPU with.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
legendofall
(@legendofall)

@nando4, Thanks a lot for the details. The link for ADT-Link R43SG shows PCIe3.0 x4. I belive we need the PCIe3.0 x16 correct for the latest graphic cards? Please advise.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@legendofall, graphics cards have always been able to run at x1, x2, x4, x8, x16. More is better but the relationship is far from linear (the work is done in the GPU, not in the PCIe connection).

M.2 is PCIe 3.0 x4. There is no wider M.2 slot.

ReplyQuote
ILoveLamps
(@ilovelamps)

@nando4, thank you for that detailed response!

Now, I have a different problem with my setup. I had been succesfully running my 5700xt eGPU using the R43SG + Wavelink UTE02 for a while. I had even overclocked it and increased the max power draw on it using the Radeon Software. 

Suddenly, one day, my eGPU started crashing anytime I tried to run a game or even any of the benchmarks on MSI Kombustor. For example, as soon as any benchmark finished loading and was about to run, the TV would go blank. The GPU does not crash when I'm doing other things like watching youtube.

The fact that I overclocked the eGPU makes me think that the GPU is faulty. However, sometimes I hear the click of the PSU turning on/off when it crashes so it might be the PSU as well. There's also the R43SG, Wavlink UTE02, and the thunderbolt connector on my Zbook studio G3 that could be the issue. 

Have you encountered a problem like this? Any tips on how I can solve this problem would be appreciated.

ReplyQuote