2011 17" HP ENVY 17t-2100 + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [Plastixx]^  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 12, 2016 3:30 am  

Being at a dead end with this code 43 hot-plug problem, I was bored and decided to try and mod the 372.70 drivers. I modded nv_dispi.inf and also added the relevant info to ListDevices.txt (not sure if that was needed or not). I really had no hope of it actually working, but check out the attached image. 🙂

There's one small problem right now though. I was running some of the tests in GPU Caps Viewer and when I ran "Furry Cube" the cube showed for a couple of seconds and then an error message popped up saying something about the device not being removable. It's strange that test crashed the driver but the Vulkan test ran perfectly at 180FPS (pic in next post). My power supply is barely adequate, so that might be the problem. It's just some random 12V 5A line-lump I had laying around that just happened to have the correct size barrel plug.

I need to do more testing, but I'm just thrilled that this proves my laptop even works with an eGPU setup.

System Specs:

HP ENVY 17t-2100 CTO 3D

i7-2860QM

16GB PC3-12800

Modded bios F.1C (no hot-plug options)

GPU/Adapter Specs:

EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING 4GB

EXP GDC BEAST 8.4d mPCI-e

12V 5A barrel plug (need to find a better supply)

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 12, 2016 3:39 am  

I forgot to mention this is all working on my internal display at 120Hz... it's a beautiful thing.

Here's the pic with the Vulkan test running. At the default test size the GPU is at 88% load; if I make it full screen it goes up to 98% and drops to 40FPS. This is at 1080P 120Hz, on the internal display, over a Gen 1 link. I'll assume that's decent given the setup.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 12, 2016 4:03 am  

Nice work getting a GTX1050Ti working with the error 43 free downgraded 372.70 driver. GTX1050Ti drivers otherwise start at 375.63.

Can you include your full system spec (notebook, RAM, CPU) along with eGPU adapter details in this thread opening post? Can then work towards a implementation report.

Just commented on your Gen1 issue in the DSDT override thread if want to get to the bottom of the most unusual way of fixing error 12 yet.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds
2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 M1000M + macOS 10.14 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 12, 2016 4:05 am  

One last update and then I'm off to bed. I ran Just Cause 3, and while it worked, the frame rate seemed like it was around 10-15FPS at 900P and low settings. The 6850M dGPU does better at 20-25FPS. GTAV crashed the driver so badly the entire system froze and I had to hard shutdown.

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member
December 15, 2016 3:57 pm  

Hi, any update on drivers for using a GTX 1050 in an EGPU setup? My 1050 arrived today, and I'm stuck with Code 43 as well (Win 10 64bit).

System:

Dell Latitude E6430 (i7-3740QM, 8GB ram, ExpressCard)

EXP GDC Beast 8.0 via ExpressCard, with EVGA GTX 1050 SC

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 15, 2016 10:21 pm  
Posted by: ybodhanya

Hi, any update on drivers for using a GTX 1050 in an EGPU setup? My 1050 arrived today, and I'm stuck with Code 43 as well (Win 10 64bit).

System:

Thanks

372.70 was never meant for the 1050 Ti, so it doesn't really work. I've spent close to 10 hours messing around with drivers in the last couple of days. I've played with the registry, modified driver files, and just about anything else I could think of. Unfortunately I think this is a problem only NVIDIA can fix, and I'm pretty sure they have no interest in doing so.

Here's an interesting thing I discovered yesterday though. I got the idea to disable the iGPU and eGPU in device manager, and then re-enable the eGPU. The code 43 went away and device manager said "this device is working properly", though the NVIDIA control panel wasn't running and the clocks weren't present in GPUz. As soon as I re-enabled the iGPU the code 43 came back.

Anyway, unless you can get a modified BIOS with advanced settings that allow you enable Hot-Plug, then you're out of luck. Your choices then are either wait for NVIDIA to fix the problem (not likely) or get a different card that works with the 372.70 drivers. 

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator
December 16, 2016 12:59 am  

The other option is to return the 1050Ti and switch to AMD, a RX470 (or the cheaper RX460) comes to mind.

My eGPU Zoo - Link to my Implementations.
Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 16, 2016 1:31 am  

That's an option, but an eGPU is worthless to me if I can't use it with the laptop display. That's not so easy with AMD.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 16, 2016 6:44 am  

Pls work through https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/mpcieecngff-m2-resolving-detection-bootup-and-stability-problems/#post-724 , up to and inclusive of jumpering your PSU to be permanently on AND checking with hwinfo64 if your EC port has hotplug enabled.

If still get error 43, pls either create a new thread or post in an existing one appropriate on linked from the above.

We want to isolate if Expresscard systems are truly affected by the 372.90 NVidia error 43 driver issue.

System:

Thanks

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table    •    Several builds

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
December 16, 2016 7:30 am  

nando, for what it is worth, my Expresscard PE4C works just fine with the latest (376.33) driver in my Lenovo T430s.

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
jimteo
(@jimteo)
December 16, 2016 9:09 am  

Just to share, I have error 43 for the various versions I tried (e.g. 376.19) until I use the version 375.63 supplied by Palit CD-ROM itself.

Using GTX 1050 Ti on my Dell E6420 with NVS4200m.

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member
December 16, 2016 12:23 pm  
Posted by: jimteo

Just to share, I have error 43 for the various versions I tried (e.g. 376.19) until I use the version 375.63 supplied by Palit CD-ROM itself.

Using GTX 1050 Ti on my Dell E6420 with NVS4200m.

Thank you so much, I downloaded 375.63 from the Nvidia site and installed it, Windows 10 is now picking up my GTX 1050 without any errors. I've attached a screenshot of HWInfo and GPU-Z. 

When I open GPU-Z, it shows the card running @ x1 2.0. After about 10 seconds or so, it changes to @ x1 1.1. It stays at 1.1 even when running the render test.

Will try and run some benchmarks now.

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member
December 16, 2016 1:39 pm  

How do I set the 1050 as the primary GPU? Everything I run is still using the laptop's dedicated NVS 5200M, if I disable that then it uses the Intel HD Graphics.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 16, 2016 5:28 pm  

I had already tried the 375.63 drivers and I still get code 43 on Windows 7.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 16, 2016 7:08 pm  

Ok, here's something strange. I put my Windows 10 SSD in and installed the 375.63 drivers. When Windows boots it shows the blue Windows icon and spinning dots, the screen goes black with no backlight, and then the backlight comes on with a black screen and the spinning dots. At this point the screen will either freeze on the spinning dots or the screen will just be black but with the backlight on. I can move the mouse cursor around the screen.

Windows completely starts up and the desktop is there, I just can't see anything other than the mouse cursor. Tried outputting HDMI from the 1050 and there's no signal. HDMI output from the laptop shows exactly the same thing as the  laptop display.

I tried modifying the driver to install as a laptop driver instead, but I get the same results.

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member
December 16, 2016 7:18 pm  

Is the Win 10 installation on that SSD Legacy or UEFI? I had something similar happen to me a while back in a desktop PC, I can't remember it exactly but it had something to do with the GPU bios being UEFI only, and my Windows being a legacy installation. It resulted in the monitor plugged into the dedicated GPU outputting a black screen with a movable cursor, and the monitor plugged into the motherboard VGA slot (which used the Intel iGPU) outputting my normal desktop, and was usable there. It treated the GPU output screen as an extended desktop, even though the only thing you could do there was move the cursor. 

(This was in a full desktop pc though, not an eGPU setup)  

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
December 16, 2016 7:30 pm  

The UEFI vs Legacy thing can happen regardless of eGPU or Desktop setup: If that issue can happen on a desktop, it can also happen for an eGPU. For the most part, the OS doesn't just know that the device is an eGPU. It just sees a PCIe device.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 16, 2016 7:48 pm  

Is the Win 10 installation on that SSD Legacy or UEFI?

Unfortunately it's legacy. My laptop came out in late 2011 and HP didn't switch to UEFI until early 2012.

Looks like I just can't win this battle. :/

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
December 16, 2016 8:56 pm  

You might need to take a look at older cards, unfortunately. Can you put your hands on a simple older card, something like a GT420/GT440 just to test that the setup works in theory?

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 16, 2016 10:43 pm  

Wow, I think I just realized what's going on. The 375.63 drivers don't have the Display.Optimus folder. It obviously isn't going to work without Optimus.

Well, let me waste some more time experimenting... :p

nando4 and Yukikaze liked
ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 17, 2016 12:57 am  

Ughhh....

Copied all missing folders from 372.70 to 375.63 and modified setup.cfg.... black screen.

Installed 372.70 and then install 375.63 over top... black screen.

Did DSDT override... black screen.

Good job NVIDIA. You win.

I'm tired.

I'm broken.

I am defeat.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 18, 2016 12:34 am  

One last observation...

I loaded TeamViewer and from another PC the only things visible are anything "Modern UI" related. I can see the task bar, but nothing on it. If I click where the start menu is supposed to be I can see the entire start menu. All modern apps are visible; I can even play Netflix. Modern UI settings are visible, but any legacy setting that opens up like "display adapter properties" just opens a black box (title bar visible).

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 26, 2016 4:00 pm  

Ok, so against my better judgment I just purchased a used Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB Mini for $150. It was either a new 750 Ti 4GB for $130 or the used 960; hope I made the smart choice. Not keeping my hopes up that it will work, but I'll give an update either way once it arrives.

Yukikaze, survfate and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
December 26, 2016 4:29 pm  

It looks like eGPU draws along the really stubborn crowd. Good luck!

I ran both the 750Ti and the 960 via Expresscard and TB1 on my T430s. With Win7 it works for me, and it also works in Linux Mint and Ubuntu.

Vahzahhun and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 26, 2016 4:30 pm  

A glimmer of hope. I'm conversing offline with a Polish eGPU forum representative who's seeing no error 43 with new drivers when using GTX9xx and older cards.

Posted by: Plastixx

Ok, so against my better judgment I just purchased a used Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB Mini for $150. It was either a new 750 Ti 4GB for $130 or the used 960; hope I made the smart choice. Not keeping my hopes up that it will work, but I'll give an update either way once it arrives.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 29, 2016 6:50 pm  

Received the 960 today. It seems only a partial success so far...

The 960 gets code 43 unless I force the link to 1.1 using Setup (no compaction; doesn't make a difference). I only had to do this with the 1050 under Win 7; it would work at 1.2 under Win 10.

I installed the 372.70 drivers first. After that I can install any newer driver without problems (still forcing 1.1). Currently using 376.33.

Is there anything I can try to get 1.2 to work? I don't want to believe that the BEAST cable is the problem since the 1050 was running at 1.2 with the gimped drivers. If I can't get it to work at 1.2 then this whole thing is kind of pointless.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 29, 2016 7:30 pm  

There are impedance/EMI noise differences between video cards. Your newest GTX960 not playing nice at Gen2 speed. Your choice to get Gen2 working might then be:

(i) try to isolate the EXP GDC beast from EMI noise by using it's own individual power socket and say aluminium foil over it's cable

(ii) use a eGPU adapter with a soldered cable shown to give a higher likelihood of Gen2 signal integrity - a PE4C 3.0 or PE4L 2.1b

(iii) test other GTX960 cards

Or just settle with Gen1 given that is a reliable way to run a EXP GDC Beast, with no guarantees of Gen2 speed unless start spending up.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 29, 2016 7:52 pm  

Thanks for the reply nando. I was thinking it could be a difference in the cards. The 1050 has a subjectively better layout of the signal traces and coupling capacitors. In comparison the signal traces on the 960 are a jumbled mess. I don't know if EVGA typically has better build quality than Gigabyte or not.

I'm not opposed to the cost of a PE4C at this point (go big or go home?), but I need to be able to disconnect the eGPU without having to unscrew the mPCIe end from the laptop. Maybe I could use one of those short mPCIe M/F extensions.

I'll play around with the cable. I have a bunch of ferrite cores I can put on the power wires and I'll try shielding the cable. Might even try shortening it as I only need it to be about half of its current length.

Just finished downloading 3DMark, so I'll get a benchmark of how its doing at 1.1 and post the results.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 29, 2016 9:23 pm  

Whelp.... can't get any 3DMark demos to run. They all just hang the PC at the loading screens. Tried drivers 372.70, 375.63, and 376.33 all with the same result.

Shielding the cable and adding ferrite chokes to the power lines didn't make any difference. This is turning into a major headache.

EDIT: I managed to get the Ice Storm (basic) test to run; all the others still hang. Strange thing was the FPS stayed at 49.5-50 for all three tests. Final score was 12218 which is extremely pathetic.

EDIT 2: Hahahaha..... this is truly sad. I just re-ran the test using the HD 3000 and it was getting FPS as high as 240 (167.62 average in test 1) with a score of 36175. WTF is going on here that the iGPU gets 3x the score of the 960.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 30, 2016 1:53 am  

Alright, looks like the problem was my power supply. I was using a 9 year old 450W ATX supply because it's the highest current one I have. Voltage was fairly stable, dipping to 11.88V under load, and current supply is supposed to be 18A. I have a piss poor memory, but I think I stopped using the PC it was in all those years ago because something broke, which was obviously the power supply. It either isn't delivering the current it's supposed to or there is some major ripple on the output.

I cut the connectors I needed off the ATX supply and hooked them up to my 10A industrial supply. Since it's only 10A I had to limit the TDP to 75% in OC GURU or the system would lock up. All tests run now except the DX12 Time Spy. The power supply makes some angry noises when the GPU is at full load. I'll probably pick up a DA-2.

There's still a 50fps cap in the 3DMark tests, but I was reading this can happen on laptops with Optimus so I'm not going to worry about. 

I guess now I just need to decide is the cost of a PE4C is worth taking a chance on getting Gen2 to work.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 30, 2016 3:58 am  

Good PSU troubleshooting there. EE background?

50FPS is the reported norm for Optimus. It makes sense for it to match the 50-60Hz internal LCD refresh rate. Any more are just redundant frames.

If you're in the US, with accessible and relatively cost effective hardware, you mind want to price a TB2 or TB3 notebook + eGPU enclosure before investing the US$100 for a PE4C 3.0.AKiTiO Thunder2/3 sell for  US$218/$249 respectively offering 4/8 times more bandwidth than 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (Gen2).

Would you mind doing a 3dmark06 run and posting a link to the result? Want to see if they still have pcie compression engaging on the latest drivers.

Posted by: Plastixx

Alright, looks like the problem was my power supply. I was using a 9 year old 450W ATX supply because it's the highest current one I have. Voltage was fairly stable, dipping to 11.88V under load, and current supply is supposed to be 18A. I have a piss poor memory, but I think I stopped using the PC it was in all those years ago because something broke, which was obviously the power supply. It either isn't delivering the current it's supposed to or there is some major ripple on the output.

I cut the connectors I needed off the ATX supply and hooked them up to my 10A industrial supply. Since it's only 10A I had to limit the TDP to 75% in OC GURU or the system would lock up. All tests run now except the DX12 Time Spy. The power supply makes some angry noises when the GPU is at full load. I'll probably pick up a DA-2.

There's still a 50fps cap in the 3DMark tests, but I was reading this can happen on laptops with Optimus so I'm not going to worry about. 

I guess now I just need to decide is the cost of a PE4C is worth taking a chance on getting Gen2 to work.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 30, 2016 6:50 am  

No, not an EE. Electronics has been a part time hobby for about 12 years or so, mostly audio related. If I were an EE I would just hijack the x16 bus the dGPU is on.

There are a few things I require of my laptop that make it a little difficult to find a low cost replacement. I need a 17" 120Hz 1080p screen, dual HDD, and a blu-ray drive. I might as well just get a new gaming laptop with a 1060 or 1070 if I bother replacing this one.

I would gladly run 3DMark06 for you, but I dun goofed. Messed around with the drivers again and now it's back to being capped at 25FPS. I did have it running GTAV at 35-40FPS on high settings @ 1080p. No matter how many times I DDU or what drivers I install, it's just won't go over 25FPS now. I'm sick of installing drivers so I'm done for today.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 31, 2016 12:11 am  

Progress!!!!

I managed to get a Dell DA-2 locally today. Searched ebay by distance and found one at computer shop just a few miles away. Paid about $8 more than the lowest priced ones on ebay, but it was worth it not to wait for delivery. Everything is running stable now and I'm even able to overclock the 960 to 1550MHz/8000MHz. Used the 6-pin and 4-pin cables from the dead ATX supply to make a jumper from the BEAST to the 6-pin input of the 960.

I figured out where the 50fps cap is coming from. 3DMark gives a warning about having G-Sync enabled. From some short googling it looks like I (unfortunately) might have compatible hardware. My screen is a 120Hz LG panel with internal eDP connection. I can't find a way to turn it off though.

I also managed to get Gen2 to work! All I did was initialize the eGPU in Setup without using any other options. It doesn't seem to make much difference in regards to FPS though. Playing GTAV I still only get around 35-40FPS at 1080p with high settings (FXAA on, MSAA off, AF x8). This is only marginally better than the 6850M dGPU gets; maybe 10FPS more. The game also lags really badly when running or driving. I don't know if it's because of the eGPU setup itself, because I have the game files on an HDD right now instead of a SSD, or some other problem.

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 31, 2016 2:17 am  

Nando, here's the 3dmark06 results you requested....

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member
December 31, 2016 5:29 pm  

More ramblings...

I put my Win 7 drive back in and that seems to have cured the lag in GTAV (SSD vs HDD). Performance seems to be about the same as Win 10 if not ever so slightly better. I'll probably stick to 7 for now.

The 50Hz cap is still there under Win 7. Playing CS:GO there seems to be some input lag as well, so it has to be some kind of G-Sync/V-Sync problem. The cap only happens fullscreen, which I think is how G-Sync works. I don't get any screen tearing in games either, so that's another clue. I really need to find a way to disable it.

The x1 Gen2 link seems to be a major bottleneck. It doesn't matter if I underclock or overclock the 960; FPS stays the same. Bus usage reaches 100% during gameplay. TDP never goes over 75%.

I think my expectations for this setup were a little too high. This was a good learning experience but I don't know if the cost of everything was worth the marginal gains. Now I'm thinking I should have just built a small ITX rig to play on my laptop via in-home streaming.

My one last grip is that the fan on the 960 keeps spinning even if I put the laptop to sleep or turn it off. I either need to put a switch on the fan or go through the trouble of disconnecting everything when I'm not playing a game.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin
December 31, 2016 8:47 pm  

plastixx, just reviewed your 3dmark06 data. It's around what I'd expect if driving the internal LCD - FHD in your case. You can see another user got over 4k more below. This highlights the point of using your FHD internal LCD, along with 100% bus load.

Basic calculations suggest [email protected] internal LCD mode would be nearly saturating the x1 link on it's own. You can confirm this by doing DVD playback and observing bus load. Using an external LCD will help there OR at least running at say HD LCD resolution will free up some precious x1 link bandwidth.

Your results

TOTAL=18051
SM2.0=7201
SM3.0=7580
CPU=6389

Another user's results, probably using external LCD

The same GTX960 + i7-2860QM + Win10 though with 368.39  driver at http://www.3dmark.com/3dm06/17897307

TOTAL=22648
SM2.0=8627
SM3.0=10942
CPU=6379

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next