Setup & Software Discussions
2011 17" HP ENVY 17t-2100 [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4)...

2011 17" HP ENVY 17t-2100 [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [Plastixx]  

of  2
  RSS

Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

I just did some tests with an external display. The only one I have is a crappy old TV with a 1280x768 screen.

In GTAV, staring at the ground, I would get around 120FPS. Bus utilization peaked at 80%. Using the internal display with the game resolution set to 1280x768 I would get 85FPS staring at the ground. Bus utilization peaked at 97%. It's interesting that the FPS cap disappear at the lower resolution.

Not sure how much those differences would be with an external 1080p display and if it would be worth the cost and inconvenience of buying and using one. I would need to buy a keyboard too.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

I have an idea. If I buy an AOC I2267FW monitor, with a little modification I can hang it right front of my laptop display. 🙂

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

I discovered some interesting things about the BEAST today. I made an earlier comment about the fan of the 960 staying on even when the laptop is sleeping or off. This has to do with the "ATX PW" switch. I thought this switch was intended to be "ON" only if using the 8P power input instead of the barrel jack. Come to find out, it's purpose is to keep the remote line pulled low (ON) at all times. Turning the switch "OFF" now allows the BEAST and GPU to power down properly.

Another side effect of having the switch "ON" is that there's no power to the USB port, which I find strange. So now my USB port gets power, but devices aren't recognized by the laptop. I think USB might be disabled on the mPCIe port though. There are bunch of USB ports in the BIOS that are set to disabled, so I'll have to play with those. It would be cool if I could boot Setup off a USB drive connected to the BEAST.

My external monitor just arrived. I'll post more later after I get a chance to play with it.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Good feedback on the ATX switch of the EXP GDC. Typically it tries to manage the power to the eGPU, powering on/off as the system does. The switch being a useful override as is often the case of mistimed CLK signals leading to no eGPU detection.

HP tends to not wire the USB lines to their mPCIe slot unless it’s a WWAN card, and then whitelists them. This means the USB port of your Beast is unlikely to work.

The USB port is useful in expresscard eGPUs since they have unwhitelisted USB wired through. Still, there’s been reports of significant power spikes when using the EXP GDC‘s USB port. I’d test a USB stick without any important info on it before committing to more regular use of it.

Posted by: Plastixx

Another side effect of having the switch “ON” is that there’s no power to the USB port, which I find strange. So now my USB port gets power, but devices aren’t recognized by the laptop. I think USB might be disabled on the mPCIe port though. There are bunch of USB ports in the BIOS that are set to disabled, so I’ll have to play with those. It would be cool if I could boot Setup off a USB drive connected to the BEAST.  

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Wow... this external monitor really made a difference. I'm now getting 55FPS average in GTAV with high settings @ 1080p. Bandwidth usage never exceeds 35%! Memory usage is around 3.2GB so I'm glad I put the effort into finding a 4GB 960. In CS:GO I get around 120FPS with all settings maxed at 1080p. FPS jumps around a lot; goes as high as 160 but never under 110. The best part is the input lag is gone.

I ran the 3DMark FireStrike test and got a 6345, which is just slightly under average for the 960...

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/17166782  

This monitor looks pretty damn good for only costing $105. Not a fan of matte displays though. Response time could be better (5ms), but you get what you pay for. It's a little heavier than I expected so I need to rethink my previous mounting plans. More to come....

Yukikaze and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@Plastixx, if you want even better performance play around with NVidia Inspector’s Frame Rate Limiter V2 and vsync. Having redundant FPS greater than 60hz impinges on the narrow x1 link bandwidth.  Also ensure you disable the NVidia audio and use the inbuild speaker instead. That dedicates your x1 bandwidth to video only.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

Thanks for letting us know the external monitor helped you out in a big way. This is my new "see this" thread for external monitor questions! 🙂

Want to output [email protected] out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Yeah, I don't plan to play with max FPS in games that manage to go higher than the monitors refresh rate (like CS:GO). I was just testing the performance. I'll play around with the frame limiter.

One of the reasons I bought this specific monitor was because it doesn't have built in speakers. One less thing to get in the way. It only has DVI-D and VGA inputs, but that's fine with me. The DVI-D is HDCP compliant anyway.

There's no way I could use this for desktop work. I'm trying right now and getting motion sickness. So used to the 120Hz of the internal display.

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

Does that mean the card's only using 35% of the x1 bandwidth? 

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Posted by: ybodhanya

Does that mean the card's only using 35% of the x1 bandwidth? 

I guess, but I'm not sure if that's even good. Some googling says it stays around 0-2% on average with an x16 bus.

It doesn't seem like I'm getting the performance I should out of the 960. I just installed Watch Dogs 2 a couple of days ago and I'm only getting 30-35FPS at medium-ish settings at 1080p (looks worse than GTA V). There are videos on youtube of people getting >60FPS with high+ settings.

Another thing is TDP only ever reaches 65%. That's just 78W and I even have the card overclocked to 1550MHz. Temp never goes much over 50C. I found a review of the same card where their testing had it at 80.9% TDP....

http://www.fudzilla.com/component/k2/36964-gigabyte-gtx-960-g1-gaming-reviewed?showall=1

Wish I had access to a better card like a 980 to test.

EDIT: I can reach 95% TDP running the "furry cube" test in GPU Caps Viewer, but bus utilization is only like 1%. I don't know, this stuff is confusing... lol.

ReplyQuote
dani29m
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member

Plastixx  i was looking at your screenshots from page one and i was wondering how did you manage to get all those options on your nvidia control panel,presuming that you have optimus like me?I got only 3 options on mine for some reason.Also you mentioned 1080p at 120Mhz on internal display which sounds kind of impossible for a laptop display so can you please share the secret if there is one.Thanks bud,will wait for your response 🙂

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Those options only show up if you install a moddified laptop .inf.

My internal display is 120Hz because the laptop is 3D capable. The HD 3000 doesn't even officially support 120Hz, but HP managed to make it work.

ReplyQuote
dani29m
(@dani_tx)
Estimable Member

I see,looks like you got yourself some fancy laptop,well enjoy it cause i'm stuck on 1366x768 60Hz.

Any chance(when you have time) to explain how to modd laptop drivers so i can get those hidden options?

Just to say it,cause you are one of not too many who helped me with my questions,well,my eGPU project is up and running,so far so good,looks like i won't even need the setup 1.3,still testing it but looks promising. I've managed to disconnect the dGPU from device manager by disconnecting the PCI-to-PCI Bridge (2nd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) processor family PCI Express Controller - 0101) and so far there is no need of any compaction,after boot the eGPU is allocated along with everything else and the mPCI-e port is already 2 Gen. so i don't have to mess with it either.Will see,still testing,hopefully there will be no problems.Will keep you posted.

ASUS A53SV: i7-2860QM, 16GB DDR3 running WINDOWS 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016
SSD: SAMSUNG 850 PRO(256GB)+SAMSUNG 850 EVO(120GB)
eGPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW+ PE4C V3.0(mPCIe)+EVGA 650 G3 PSU (internal display ONLY)

ReplyQuote
copter242
(@copter242)

Same proplem here.I do everything like you but i'm stuck to install driver of gtx 1050 ti. Can you help me ?

Inbox me : [email protected]

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Posted by: copter242

Same proplem here.I do everything like you but i'm stuck to install driver of gtx 1050 ti. Can you help me ?

No. If you read the whole thread I had to switch to a GTX 960.

Read this...

https://egpu.io/forums/expresscard-mpcie-m-2-adapters/nvidia-is-killing-off-mpciengff-m2-egpus-error-43-with-372-90/paged/1/

ReplyQuote
copter242
(@copter242)

Sorry for that.Thx for your time :/

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Finally got around to taking some picture of my external monitor setup. I took the monitor apart and removed the swivel bracket that the original stand attached to. I then cut a piece of aluminum bar stock, drilled all the appropriate holes, bolted on a 1/4"-20 coupling nut, and then drilled a hole in the back cover for the coupling nut to pass through. All of that allows me to screw on a monopod/selfie stick to support the monitor so the laptop screen doesn't tilt back. It also allows the monitor to stand on its own if I remove it.

It might look a little silly, but I was going for function over form and it functions perfectly.

egpu1

egpu2

egpu3

egpu4

itsage and ybodhanya liked
ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

I'm thinking of selling the 960 and the 1050 Ti (it's still sitting here) and getting a 4GB RX 480. I was originally thinking about a 980 but even a used one is like $250. Now that I'm using an external display there's no reason not to go team red. The reason being that most games play fairly well on the 960, but I'm only getting around 30FPS in Watch Dogs 2.

Thoughts?

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Received a MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB in the mail today. After jumping through a few hoops with Setup I finally got it working.

Was getting error 12 and after playing around with DSDT override and Setup options I finally got it to work. Strangely I didn't need the DSDT override or compaction, I had to first retrain the link which set it to Gen1, then I had to set it to Gen2 again. That's the only thing that would work. If I did compaction with the DSDT override it would still work, but the system would crash when waking from sleep. Good thing I didn't need it because that would have been a deal breaker.

Haven't spent much time with it yet, but there's a noticeable improvement over the 960. Nearly a 20FPS increase in GTAV with the same settings used on the 960. With all settings maxed (MSAA off) at 1080P I'm averaging around 50FPS (never goes below 40FPS and goes as high as 80FPS at times). I'm anxious to try Watch Dogs 2 as the 960 struggled badly with that game, but it's in the middle of a 8.98GB update download.

I really wanted to compare the bandwidth usage between the 960 and 480. That info is completely gone in AB, HWiNFO64, and HWMonitor with the 480. Strange.

The MSI Gaming App refuses to install for me which kind of sucks. I'd like to turn these horrendous LEDs off.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Just ran the 3DMark Fire Strike test and scored a 9798. That's 3453 points higher than the 960 did!

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18041551

I'm pretty happy with that. Definitely pushing the limits of a Gen2 x1 link.

ReplyQuote
Somik
(@somik)

Hi,

How did you manage to mod the BIOS F.1C ? I am using the Beast with HP Laptop DV7t-6c00 and i got the BSOD screen error which restarts my laptop in loop. Few people suggested that its a whitelist BIOS issue with the HP Laptop Model. Any idea how to resolve this?

ReplyQuote
FunkyMike
(@funkymike)

Posted by: Somik

Hi,

How did you manage to mod the BIOS F.1C ? I am using the Beast with HP Laptop DV7t-6c00 and i got the BSOD screen error which restarts my laptop in loop. Few people suggested that its a whitelist BIOS issue with the HP Laptop Model. Any idea how to resolve this?

Donovan6000 used to do BIOS mods. His blog is now offline but he has detailed instructions on how to do it if you view them via google cache / waybackmachine etc.

I oo not think that this F1C is the same as your F1C BIOS. You would need to compare the files to be certain.

You should also search some BIOS modding sites for your BIOS.

ReplyQuote
chenkiong
(@chenkiong)

hi plastixx. curently im using 1050 2gb too. may i ask u how u solve the code error 43?

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

I really wanted to compare the bandwidth usage between the 960 and 480. That info is completely gone in AB, HWiNFO64, and HWMonitor with the 480. Strange.

The AMD cards do not appear to include a PCIe bandwidth utilization counter, or whatever is the method that the nVidia cards use to report the PCIe utilization. I had it on my GTX960 and 750Ti, and my 1050Ti has it, but the R9 Fury doesn't have it, just like your RX480.

Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

ReplyQuote
chenkiong
(@chenkiong)

everywhere

error 43 everywhereeee. 

hi, if i use 2gb ram can i solve the rror 43? since it can boot directly not need hotplug

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)

Posted by: chenkiong

error 43 everywhereeee. 

hi, if i use 2gb ram can i solve the rror 43? since it can boot directly not need hotplug

chinkiong, he did not solve the issue with code 43 and the GTX1050, and he is not using a GTX1050 (he switched to a GTX960, and the an AMD RX480). To the best of my knowledge, there is no solution for Code 43 on a GTX1050 or 1050Ti running on mPCIe. Your best bet is to return the card and trade it for an AMD RX460 which has similar performance and does not run into Code 43 errors.

ReplyQuote
DavidC
(@davidc)

Received a MSI RX 480 Gaming X 4GB in the mail today. After jumping through a few hoops with Setup I finally got it working.

Was getting error 12 and after playing around with DSDT override and Setup options I finally got it to work. Strangely I didn't need the DSDT override or compaction, I had to first retrain the link which set it to Gen1, then I had to set it to Gen2 again. That's the only thing that would work. If I did compaction with the DSDT override it would still work, but the system would crash when waking from sleep. Good thing I didn't need it because that would have been a deal breaker.

Haven't spent much time with it yet, but there's a noticeable improvement over the 960. Nearly a 20FPS increase in GTAV with the same settings used on the 960. With all settings maxed (MSAA off) at 1080P I'm averaging around 50FPS (never goes below 40FPS and goes as high as 80FPS at times). I'm anxious to try Watch Dogs 2 as the 960 struggled badly with that game, but it's in the middle of a 8.98GB update download.

The MSI Gaming App refuses to install for me which kind of sucks. I'd like to turn these horrendous LEDs off.

Hi, Plastixx.  Can you go into a bit more detail about "jumping through a few hoops with Setup"?  I am running a GTX 1060 6GB card with 272.70 driver but considering exchanging if for and RX480 so that I can use the latest driver.  Also why did you get the 4GB card instead of the 8GB card?  Is it only budget reason?  I am not familiar with the Gen1 vs Gen2 either.  I am running a Lenovo G510 using the mPCI-e Beast. I understand that the RX card will not support the internal LCD, which is a deal breaker for some.  Thanks for your help.

ReplyQuote
FunkyMike
(@funkymike)

Ello Plastixx,

Have you made any improvements to your setup since you have got it up and running?

Any interesting developments?

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Time to say goodbye to the eGPU life. A few days ago the system started crashing when waking from sleep (only with eGPU attached and powered). Switching to my W10 install on a different SSD has the same results, so it has to be a hardware problem. My keyboard also started acting up a few days before that. Sometimes it will type double "b" or "n" and sometimes those keys plus a few others won't work at all, and then randomly start working again. I've wasted way too much time trying to figure it out.

I feel a little sick for spending the money, but I just purchased components for a desktop build (my first in 10 years or so)...

Ryzen 5 1600

GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz

VIVO 24K 650W 80+ GOLD Modular Power Supply

Corsair CC-9011086-WW Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid-Tower Case

Total damage: a little over 600USD :/

My laptop will be relegated to "blu-rays in bed" duty.

ReplyQuote
(@klemen_krajnik)

Hey, I only have one question for you, I know you stopped trying to make this work. I have the same bios as your hp and I was wondering how you managed to remove the whitelist? Do you by any chance still have the modded bios file?

ReplyQuote
(@phanith)

Being at a dead end with this code 43 hot-plug problem, I was bored and decided to try and mod the 372.70 drivers. I modded nv_dispi.inf and also added the relevant info to ListDevices.txt (not sure if that was needed or not). I really had no hope of it actually working, but check out the attached image. 🙂

There's one small problem right now though. I was running some of the tests in GPU Caps Viewer and when I ran "Furry Cube" the cube showed for a couple of seconds and then an error message popped up saying something about the device not being removable. It's strange that test crashed the driver but the Vulkan test ran perfectly at 180FPS (pic in next post). My power supply is barely adequate, so that might be the problem. It's just some random 12V 5A line-lump I had laying around that just happened to have the correct size barrel plug.

I need to do more testing, but I'm just thrilled that this proves my laptop even works with an eGPU setup.

System Specs:

HP ENVY 17t-2100 CTO 3D

i7-2860QM

16GB PC3-12800

Modded bios F.1C (no hot-plug options)

GPU/Adapter Specs:

EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING 4GB

EXP GDC BEAST 8.4d mPCI-e

12V 5A barrel plug (need to find a better supply)

IDIDIT

i still can't get it, I my Evga GTX1050ti just come yesterday and after setup driver i get the same problem like you but after see you comment i try to download older driver  372.70 drivers  but can't install, it was shown no device to install, i checked the list ListDevices.txt  there is no GTX1050ti unless I install newer driver, please help or give me detail about this device 

System Specs:

Gateway NE572

i7-4510u

16GB PC3-12800

GPU/Adapter Specs:

EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC GAMING 4GB

EXP GDC BEAST 8.4d mPCI-e

12V 8A barrel plug  

ReplyQuote
 of  2