2011 17" HP ENVY 17t-2100 [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4)...

Notifications
Clear all

2011 17" HP ENVY 17t-2100 [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [Plastixx]  

of  7
  RSS

jimteo
(@jimteo)

Just to share, I have error 43 for the various versions I tried (e.g. 376.19) until I use the version 375.63 supplied by Palit CD-ROM itself.

Using GTX 1050 Ti on my Dell E6420 with NVS4200m.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

Posted by: jimteo

Just to share, I have error 43 for the various versions I tried (e.g. 376.19) until I use the version 375.63 supplied by Palit CD-ROM itself.

Using GTX 1050 Ti on my Dell E6420 with NVS4200m.

Thank you so much, I downloaded 375.63 from the Nvidia site and installed it, Windows 10 is now picking up my GTX 1050 without any errors. I've attached a screenshot of HWInfo and GPU-Z

When I open GPU-Z, it shows the card running @ x1 2.0. After about 10 seconds or so, it changes to @ x1 1.1. It stays at 1.1 even when running the render test.

Will try and run some benchmarks now.

Screenshot 53

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

How do I set the 1050 as the primary GPU? Everything I run is still using the laptop's dedicated NVS 5200M, if I disable that then it uses the Intel HD Graphics.

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

I had already tried the 375.63 drivers and I still get code 43 on Windows 7.

2011 17" HP ENVY 17t-2100 [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Ok, here's something strange. I put my Windows 10 SSD in and installed the 375.63 drivers. When Windows boots it shows the blue Windows icon and spinning dots, the screen goes black with no backlight, and then the backlight comes on with a black screen and the spinning dots. At this point the screen will either freeze on the spinning dots or the screen will just be black but with the backlight on. I can move the mouse cursor around the screen.

Windows completely starts up and the desktop is there, I just can't see anything other than the mouse cursor. Tried outputting HDMI from the 1050 and there's no signal. HDMI output from the laptop shows exactly the same thing as the  laptop display.

I tried modifying the driver to install as a laptop driver instead, but I get the same results.

2011 17" HP ENVY 17t-2100 [2nd,4C,Q] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win7 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ybodhanya
(@ybodhanya)
Eminent Member

Is the Win 10 installation on that SSD Legacy or UEFI? I had something similar happen to me a while back in a desktop PC, I can't remember it exactly but it had something to do with the GPU bios being UEFI only, and my Windows being a legacy installation. It resulted in the monitor plugged into the dedicated GPU outputting a black screen with a movable cursor, and the monitor plugged into the motherboard VGA slot (which used the Intel iGPU) outputting my normal desktop, and was usable there. It treated the GPU output screen as an extended desktop, even though the only thing you could do there was move the cursor. 

(This was in a full desktop pc though, not an eGPU setup)  

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

The UEFI vs Legacy thing can happen regardless of eGPU or Desktop setup: If that issue can happen on a desktop, it can also happen for an eGPU. For the most part, the OS doesn't just know that the device is an eGPU. It just sees a PCIe device.

Want to output 4K@60Hz out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2020 14" Lenovo ThinkBook Yoga 14s [11th,4C,G] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Posted by: ybodhanya

Is the Win 10 installation on that SSD Legacy or UEFI?

Unfortunately it's legacy. My laptop came out in late 2011 and HP didn't switch to UEFI until early 2012.

Looks like I just can't win this battle. :/

ReplyQuote
Yukikaze
(@yukikaze)
Prominent Member Moderator

You might need to take a look at older cards, unfortunately. Can you put your hands on a simple older card, something like a GT420/GT440 just to test that the setup works in theory?

Want to output 4K@60Hz out of an old system on the cheap? Read here.
Give your Node Pro a second Thunderbolt3 controller for reliable peripherals by re-using a TB3 dock (~50$).

"Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it."- Robert A. Heinlein, "Time Enough for Love."

2020 14" Lenovo ThinkBook Yoga 14s [11th,4C,G] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AKiTiO Node Pro) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Plastixx
(@plastixx)
Trusted Member

Wow, I think I just realized what's going on. The 375.63 drivers don't have the Display.Optimus folder. It obviously isn't going to work without Optimus.

Well, let me waste some more time experimenting... :p

nando4 and Yukikaze liked
ReplyQuote
 of  7