2017 21" iMac 4K RP560 + [email protected] (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13.2 & Win10 [j-atechnology]  

RSS

jatechnology
(@jatechnology)
Eminent Member
January 6, 2018 8:03 am  

I have Windows 10 x64 running on Samsung T3 Portable SSD, and macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 running on a Samsung EVO 850 SSD connected via a SATA to USB 3.0 adapter to my iMac 4K 2017 model with an AKiTIO Node TB3 housing an RX 480 Sapphire Nito 8GB+.

The results were incredible. I didn't even have to uninstall Crimson driver when switching RX 480 from RocketStor 6361a TB2 to AKiTio Node, i installed the card into the Node, inserted the 6+2 PCIe power pin into the RX 480 and booted into both macOS 10.13.2 and Windows 10 and voila! Both worked straight away. 

The original way i got the RX 480 installed on Windows 10 x64 with 6361A was to update the driver for the card through device manager and manually select and install the driver. Before doing this,  I had to obtain the BootCamp RP 560 driver using some software called "Brigadier". This way using the RP 560 crimson driver, i am able to actually use Crimson with RX 480. Without RP 560 driver i was unable to view Crimson, though playing games worked fine. To update RX 480 i go back and manually update driver through Device Manager.

I can play MAFIA III on macOS 10.13.2 @ 1440P highest settings and it plays around 35-45 FPS.

I was playing Shadow of War on Windows, maxed out @ 1440p, and same with Fallout 4, the graphics are amazing.

There was a massive boost of performance when upgrading from RocketStor 6361a to the AKiTiO Node TB3. Spikes gone and so much smoother in games.

Here are some pics of the setup and results.

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
JohnJack
(@johnjack)
January 30, 2018 8:59 pm  

Hi,

Is your system plug-and-play?

And didn't need delay boot method(like:OPTION key to select Windows volume, hot plug eGPU when Windows logo appears)?

Regards.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
jatechnology
(@jatechnology)
Eminent Member
January 31, 2018 1:44 am  

I can boot straight into Windows 10 without delayed boot methods and the eGPU works perfectly.

For Windows 10, i am using Windows to Go via a portable SSD. Since the Boot Camp drivers are not manually downloadable on my iMac, i had to download my iMacs bootcamp drivers using some software called "Brigadier".

This way i could install Radeon Pro 560 driver first which gave me access to Radeon Crimson. After doing this, i manually updated the RX 480 via Device Manager using Crimson package.

When manually updating the RX 480 without installing Radeon Pro 560 i  had no access to Crimson for some reason.

Updating the RX 480 is doable via Windows Update aswell, but not sure if it works as effective as manually updating via Device Manager.

I have yet to list my system & eGPU hardware or link a build guide in my signature. I will do so soon to give context to my posts.

ReplyQuote
Clueless_and_Skilled
(@clueless_and_skilled)
November 9, 2018 9:11 pm  
Posted by: jatechnology

I can boot straight into Windows 10 without delayed boot methods and the eGPU works perfectly.

For Windows 10, i am using Windows to Go via a portable SSD. Since the Boot Camp drivers are not manually downloadable on my iMac, i had to download my iMacs bootcamp drivers using some software called "Brigadier".

This way i could install Radeon Pro 560 driver first which gave me access to Radeon Crimson. After doing this, i manually updated the RX 480 via Device Manager using Crimson package.

When manually updating the RX 480 without installing Radeon Pro 560 i  had no access to Crimson for some reason.

Updating the RX 480 is doable via Windows Update aswell, but not sure if it works as effective as manually updating via Device Manager.

I never considered using windows to go. Do you know if there are any other differences with this method vs normal bootcamp in terms of compatibility with different egpu? I will have to try this method of WTG on my iMac.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Noble Member Moderator
November 9, 2018 9:18 pm  

@jatechnology You can download the drivers from bootcamp assistant:

purge-wrangler.shpurge-nvda.shset-eGPU.sh
----
Troubleshooting eGPUs on macOS
Command Line Swiss Knife
----
Multiple Build Guides

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
jatechnology
(@jatechnology)
Eminent Member
November 19, 2018 7:33 am  

@mac_editor I had no idea that was doable, is that bootcamp assistant on a 2017 Mac?

Will that allow me to download the support software onto a usb thumb drive so that I could install it on Windows to Go install?

ReplyQuote