2011 21" iMac (HD6750M) [2nd,4C,S] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) ...

Notifications
Clear all

2011 21" iMac (HD6750M) [2nd,4C,S] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [NayChan]  

of  2
  RSS

NayChan
(@naychan)

I have never used Nando's DIY eGPU Setup and actually didn't use anything to get Windows to use the eGPU.
I installed Windows in UEFI mode, installed Boot Camp Support Software, installed Windows Updates and eGPU works. I only have 8GB of RAM and all of it was available for use. Audio does not work and this is due to the Windows DSDT table root bridge definition constraints and how it allocates PCIe devices. This is why Apple does not support UEFI Windows on our iMacs since the EFI is not fully compatible. There is a workaround for this but it involves using the Clover Bootloader which is geared toward hackintoshes and not recommended for true Macs as you can completely brick them.

Interestingly, I noticed that UEFI Windows would often freeze at the Windows Logo at boot with no loading indicator. I find this to be similar if not that same as the black screen in Legacy BIOS mode. I also have to hard reset and boot again until a loading indicator would appear below the Windows Logo and continue booting. Therefore I believe that the success rate of eGPU recognition is roughly the same under both Legacy BIOS and UEFI in regards to Windows. It always works in macOS.

I do not recommend using Windows in UEFI mode on Macs that don't support it. I know you said that Legacy BIOS mode would not recognize the eGPU but it is the preferable option. Before doing anything drastic I would make sure your RAM is properly seated in their slots. Take out every stick of RAM and put them in different slots. If that doesn't work then remove all but one stick and see if Windows will use all of just one stick.

If you cannot get your current UEFI setup to recognize and use all your RAM then you'll have to reinstall Windows. I suggest installing in Legacy BIOS mode and trying to get the eGPU recognized. You may not be motivated to try Legacy BIOS mode again but I can assure you that it is the best option for our particular iMacs. I know you read it before but I'm going to describe the process I use that works for 21.5 inch Mid-2011 iMac 2.5Ghz with discrete AMD Radeon 6750m, AKiTiO Thunder2 and EVGA GTX 1050ti SC 4GB. If you are using different hardware then that could be a reason my methods aren't working.

Leave eGPU unplugged.
Install Windows in Legacy BIOS mode without connecting to the internet.
Once the install is complete and you have reached the Desktop: install Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621.
It will ask you to restart after installation completes.
After restart, connect to the internet and install all Windows Updates.
Windows will need to restart to finish installing updates. Plug in eGPU before restarting.
If you get a black screen, wait ten seconds then hard reset.
If you get another black screen, wait another ten seconds before hard reset.
If you are using a traditional HDD then you should wait longer than ten seconds. I am using an SSD so ten seconds is fine.
Another thing you can try is to hold down the 'Option' key at boot to enter the Apple boot manager. Instead of selecting Windows immediately you can wait twenty seconds. This might give time for the eGPU to fully start up and connect to the logic board so when Windows begins booting the PCIe device allocation is ready. Do this a few times if it's still not working.
Eventually the black screen will get a blinking white cursor in the top left corner of the screen and Windows will continue to boot.
After Windows finishes booting you should then install Nvidia drivers. At the time of this post the current drivers are 417.71.
After installation and reboot the eGPU should be recognized and in use.

I know it must annoy you to be reading through this again given you spent so many hours already trying it. It does work for my iMac so it should work for yours. I did not get the RAM issue under UEFI so we must have used different methods to install Windows in UEFI mode. I highly suggest you try Legacy BIOS mode again using my instructions. Remember that if you are using a normal HDD and not SSD then you should wait longer at the black screen before hard resetting. Patience is key here so don't try a few times and then reinstall under UEFI. If you still cannot get it to work then install Windows under UEFI again and hope the RAM issue is resolved.

I'm sorry, I wasn't able to fix your installation. I tried other methods and doing some more research but the only advice I have is to install Windows in Legacy BIOS mode. Look at it this way: sometimes when you go to put a USB in the port it won't go in. So you flip it around and it still doesn't go in. Then you flip it around to the original direction and it suddenly goes into the port even though it didn't the first time.
Maybe it's like that. This is why I haven't used Windows in ages. macOS just works every time at every boot. I really hope you get it working. Good Luck!!

This post was modified 3 years ago
2011 21" iMac (HD6750M) [2nd,4C,S] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Kubo Yashiharu
(@kubo_yashiharu)
Eminent Member

tried 20 times before sleep, no luck.

did your eGPU enclosure powered up and keep running the display card before the thunderbolt cable plug in the mac?

I think the most different part is the enclosure, mine is Node ...

Mac Mini 2018, MacOS 11.6 with Windows10 21H2, Akitio Node, Rx580
automate-eGPU.efi (2019), HackFlags 0x600

MacBook Pro mid-2014, MacOS 10.13.6, Akitio Node, Rx580
purge-wrangler, purge-nvda, SwitchResX, iStat, TB2

ReplyQuote
NayChan
(@naychan)

Yeah, I leave the Thunder2 plugged in to the iMac at all times. It doesn't have a power switch like the Node.
When the iMac turns on so does the Thunder2. If I shutdown the iMac then the Thunder2 turns off.
You probably already updated the Node firmware and I don't think that would make a difference in Windows detecting it. I could be wrong though since I don't have any experience with it. Just keep playing around with hotplugging at boot.

Try leaving the Thunderbolt cable plugged into the Mac before boot with the Node ON and the fan on the graphics card running. Then boot the Mac.

Try holding down 'Option' and loading up the Apple Boot Manager and then plugging in the eGPU and waiting for it to start up and get the graphics card fan going. After ten seconds then hit 'Enter' or click on the the Windows partition.

Try hotplugging the eGPU during boot at the Windows logo and before the loading indicator comes up. Try this with the Node already on and running.

Try leaving the Thunderbolt cable plugged in and the Node OFF. When the Windows logo appears quickly switch it on before the little loading indicator circles thing appears below the logo.

Try the previous two suggestions but after the loading indicator comes up.

I remember back in the old 10.12 Sierra days I had to hot plug the eGPU at the Apple logo to get macOS to recognize it. It was always a hotplugging guessing game in those days. Just keep trying different ways you can think of and hopefully it will eventually work. Just be careful with that Thunderbolt port. We only have one!!

Many people with the Node on Macs use a DSDT override. These people are on much newer Macs though so it might not apply to our iMacs. It also means you'll be building from scratch since there are no premade ones for the iMac Mid-2011. This should be the last resort in my opinion. Although I would end up trying every option if I was in your position I'm sure. Don't give up!!

2011 21" iMac (HD6750M) [2nd,4C,S] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Adam ilyas
(@adam_ilyas)

Hi this sound very stressful to do I need some advise as i'm no expert
I have Apple iMac late 2013 27 GTX 780M 4GB Thunderbolt 1 

Will GPU work with this mac? Plug and play or is there is additional parts to purchase?

I heard the Evga GTX 1050 TI works for this model, but only seen on the Mac laptop.

and can use the iMac screen or I have use ex-display?

many thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
NayChan
(@naychan)

There is nothing to worry about. If you plan on using macOS High Sierra then it's easy.
People have more trouble getting Windows to recognize the eGPU.

For macOS it's as easy as running the Purge-Wrangler script. The script will install the Nvidia Web Drivers and enable eGPU over Thunderbolt 1. You plug in the eGPU and reboot. It's really that simple nowadays.
For Windows you'll have to figure out the particular method of plugging, hot-plugging and rebooting that works for your setup.

You should be aware that there are currently no web drivers for Mojave. Nvidia is supposedly working on them but I do not believe this to be a priority for the company. Apple has nothing to do with it. In fact, Apple is improving their own Nvidia support with every update to Mojave. These are for Macs with Nvidia cards built in such as yours. Apple is not going to create drivers for products they don't sell obviously so it's down to Nvidia to provide web drivers for the newer cards. If you plan on using Mojave then get one of the AMD cards officially supported by Apple. If you are set on using a Nvidia card then you must use macOS High Sierra for now and wait for web drivers to be released for Mojave.

I would recommend using an external screen for the setup process. It is easier to determine if everything is working properly with an external monitor. A simple TV with HDMI will work. After you are sure macOS is using the eGPU for acceleration you may then use a headless adapter such as this NewerTech one to remove the need of an external screen. You will get another hit on performance if you decide to use the internal iMac screen since the information is being passed back and forth on the same Thunderbolt cable. You will still setup your display preferences as two screens and launch all apps on the 'fake' headless display. You then use the Spectacle app to move apps to your internal iMac display with keyboard shortcuts.

Everything else comes down to the eGPU enclosure and card you use. Any Nvidia card with web driver support should work just make sure your enclosure has enough room and power for it. I used the EVGA 1050ti since it fit within the AKiTiO Thunder2 enclosure and had a power draw of 75watts so I only needed a normal laptop charger to power the whole thing.

If you have any problems feel free to ask and I'll try to help. I'm not an expert either though.

ReplyQuote
Adam ilyas
(@adam_ilyas)

Many thanks for info

Wow, wow this sounds so technical and hassle 

My iMac runs Sierra not High, and PC via bootcamp windows 7 for gaming which runs very fine
games like Ace Combat 7, Shadow of Tomb Raider

wouldn't getting Evga GTX 1050 TI with the eGPU to get extra boost

As for the iMac screen was hoping the Thunderbolt 1 port with cable would work etc
but most eGPU are with TB3.......

really don't want use ex-display for this
I am not going install Mojave because the Nvidia issues no way!!!
I'm a huge fan Nvidia cards, AMD cards are awful, had a 2017 iMac but sold it due to too much with AMD, overheating etc.....long 
story 

your specs - mid-2011 21.5" iMac HD6750M + GTX1050Ti-4GB@10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS10.13 & Win10 so did you get your iMac screen to work instead of using a ex-display?
I had this model way back in 2011 but the 27 screen

I have done a few research where new models of iMac the screen can work with black magic egpu
even a Apple tech guy told me too.

Are BizonBOX any good?

many thanks for advise!!!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
NayChan
(@naychan)

BizonBOX are repackaged AKiTiO Thunder enclosures for twice the price so I would just buy AKiTiO. Other World Computing recently acquired AKiTiO and they are a quality company I have used for all my Mac upgrades.
You don't have to buy an old enclosure if you want to be more future-proof. You can use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter with a USB-C eGPU and Thunderbolt 1 Macs.

The NewerTech headless display adapter will let you use your internal iMac screen. There will be another 5-10% performance hit without an external monitor. I have never tried to only use the internal screen on mine since I had a spare 27-inch monitor but I could with that adapter.
More recent Macs allow internal screen acceleration because they are built for it and are compatible since they have Thunderbolt 3. We are hacking our old Thunderbolt 1 Macs to work so the bandwidth through the port just isn't there. If it were then Apple would officially support it as well.

I would update to High Sierra if you plan on using the eGPU in macOS. The compatibility with High Sierra is amazing. I would have to play a hot-plugging game in Sierra to get it to recognize the eGPU every boot. High Sierra never fails to detect it and utilize it. If you plan on getting a Thunderbolt 3 / USB-C enclosure then you might have difficulty updating the firmware on Windows 7. Some manufacturers require Windows 10 to update the firmware so you should do some research before purchasing to make sure that whichever enclosure you end up buying has firmware update software which is compatible with Windows 7. Either way you should definitely be using fan control software such as Macs Fan Control to increase your fan speeds in Windows. Apple has crafted macOS to intelligently monitor and control temperature in Macs. Windows does not do proper power management in Boot Camp on Macs and will naturally run hotter than macOS because of this. Since you have experience dealing with thermals then you understand the importance of keeping your hardware properly cooled especially during gaming.

ReplyQuote
Adam ilyas
(@adam_ilyas)

What you wrote sounds difficult to do.........

I spoke to a tech staff at BIZON they told me this would be the best best package for me...................

Mac specs -  Apple iMac late 2013 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7 GTX 780M/ 24GB PCIe Flash Drive – High MacOS 10.12.6 Sierra

The best option for your tasks would be  - This configuration includes everything:  https://bizon-tech.com/us/sonnet-egfx-breakaway-box#470:1616;472:1622,1624;481:1660;483:1664;669:2604

For $795, you will get the Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box, GTX 1080 graphics card, an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and a Thunderbolt 2 cable.

I recommend you to upgrade to Windows 10, Windows 7 is not compatible with eGPUs.

There is no need to purchase any additional software. You will get a detailed step-by-step installation manual.

You will be able to use the iMac screen.

might have to do more research on this , they based in USA I'm from UK

ReplyQuote
Mozambik
(@mozambik)

What is an external display for? This means that the internal display of the iMac cannot be used?

ReplyQuote
 of  2