2012 17" Clevo W35 37ET GTX 660M + [email protected] (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win1 8.1[jujubasss]^  

RSS

jujubasss
(@jujubasss)
August 9, 2017 3:50 pm  

Setup Config:

Model: Clevo w35 37ET

Processor: i7 3610QM

RAM: 12GB DDR 3 1600

dGPU: GTX 660M 2GB

iGPU: Intel HD 4000

eGPU: HD 7970 GHZ Edition VaporX 6GB

eGPU Dock: EXP GDC 8.4d

PSU: EVGA 500w 80 PLUS white

Hello,

My name is Juliano, I'm from Brazil and I have no available money now to spend on a new computer (Here we pay more them three times for PC parts) so I started to think about an eGPU setup. Frist I did a little research on which dock model and about the usability of my old 7970 that used to be a monster back in my day.. After that, i started to buy everything.

One day ago I started the build. I will do a step by step of what I have done to get it working, but I will be happy to get feedbacks of what I did wrong !!!

1. VGA on EXP GDC
  2. PSU cables on EXP GDC: 24 pins & 4 pins from PSU-CPU cable
  3. PSU cables on VGA: In my case, 2x 8 pins from PSU-PCI-Express cables
  4. Started my laptop and used DDU to clear NVIDIA drivers and prevent it from reinstalling NVIDIA drivers automatically, restarted
  5. Installed latest AMD drivers, shutdown
  6. Plugget the mPCIe -> HDMI from my laptop to EXP GDC 8.4d
  7. Changed the ATX switch on EXP GDC to ON
  8. Turned the PC ON: The 7900 video card showed at device manager "Functioning properly"
  9. Tried to open the AMD settings and got an error: At the moment the Radeon configuration is not available. Plug in a display to your graphic card and try to extend the monitor
  10. Made a donation to get DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 - Nando4 contacted me a few minutes later. 
  11. Asked Nando4 for help about the AMD error, got his response: "AMD drivers do not provide an accelerated internal LCD mode. So you need to attach an external LCD OR use a ghost adapter and management software for *windowed* apps. See https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/guide-accelerated-internal-lcd-on-non-optimus-systems-enjoy/ for details about that."
  12. Dammit, I did not have an external LCD... 🙁 But I have my television, should work. Followed THIS vídeo to setup everything with DIY eGPU Setup 1.35, restarted.
  13. Got video from eGPU (plugged HDMI cable on it) and was able to access AMD configuration, hurray! 
  14. Opened Battlefield 1 and got worst results them my 660M, dammit!
  15. Asked for Nando4 help one more time, got this: "Be sure to have set your port to Gen2 mode in Setup 1,35->PCIe Ports->Gen2." I did this when I followed his vídeo
  16. Restarted to check if the DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 still got my presets: Nope...!
  17. Did everything one more time and restarted
  18. Did some benchmarking:
    1. 3DMark Fire Strike: 6737
    2. 3DMark Cloud Gate: 15.198
    3. 3DMark IceStorm: 93.470
    4. Battlefield 1: 1080p, all presets on medium, ~50 fps

At this moment, i'm working so I can't do more tests (Downloading all my steam games to test it later) and see if DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 will keep my presets. 

I'm not happy with the results either, but I think there is more I can do to improve the results. 

Next week I will continue with the setup improvement and tests.

For those who are curious about my case, I did a mod in a Coolermaster CM 130, it is not ready yet, I will post more photos when it's done.

p.s 1: Sorry about my english

p.s 2: A very big thanks to Nando4 who did an awesome job helping me and  doing his DIY eGPU Setup 1.35

p.s3: More pictures:

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

jujubasss and nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
dingo3
(@dingo3)
December 10, 2017 9:47 pm  

Hey did you ever get it working?

I'm thinking of using my old HD 7770 on my own setup, but my laptop has the old Ivybridge mobile CPU.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote