2012 17" Clevo W35 37ET (GTX660M) [3rd,4C,Q] + HD 7970 @ 4Gbps-mPCIe2 (EXP GDC 8.4) + Win8.1 [jujubasss]
Model: Clevo w35 37ET
Processor: i7 3610QM
RAM: 12GB DDR 3 1600
dGPU: GTX 660M 2GB
iGPU: Intel HD 4000
eGPU: HD 7970 GHZ Edition VaporX 6GB
eGPU Dock: EXP GDC 8.4d
PSU: EVGA 500w 80 PLUS white
My name is Juliano, I'm from Brazil and I have no available money now to spend on a new computer (Here we pay more them three times for PC parts) so I started to think about an eGPU setup. Frist I did a little research on which dock model and about the usability of my old 7970 that used to be a monster back in my day.. After that, i started to buy everything.
One day ago I started the build. I will do a step by step of what I have done to get it working, but I will be happy to get feedbacks of what I did wrong !!!
- VGA on EXP GDC
- PSU cables on EXP GDC: 24 pins & 4 pins from PSU-CPU cable
- PSU cables on VGA: In my case, 2x 8 pins from PSU-PCI-Express cables
- Started my laptop and used DDU to clear NVIDIA drivers and prevent it from reinstalling NVIDIA drivers automatically, restarted
- Installed latest AMD drivers, shutdown
- Plugget the mPCIe -> HDMI from my laptop to EXP GDC 8.4d
- Changed the ATX switch on EXP GDC to ON
- Turned the PC ON: The 7900 video card showed at device manager "Functioning properly"
- Tried to open the AMD settings and got an error: At the moment the Radeon configuration is not available. Plug in a display to your graphic card and try to extend the monitor
- Made a donation to get DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 - Nando4 contacted me a few minutes later.
- Asked Nando4 for help about the AMD error, got his response: "AMD drivers do not provide an accelerated internal LCD mode. So you need to attach an external LCD OR use a ghost adapter and management software for *windowed* apps. See https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/guide-accelerated-internal-lcd-on-non-optimus-systems-enjoy/ for details about that."
- Dammit, I did not have an external LCD... 🙁 But I have my television, should work. Followed vídeo to setup everything with DIY eGPU Setup 1.35, restarted.
- Got video from eGPU (plugged HDMI cable on it) and was able to access AMD configuration, hurray!
- Opened Battlefield 1 and got worst results them my 660M, dammit!
- Asked for Nando4 help one more time, got this: "Be sure to have set your port to Gen2 mode in Setup 1,35->PCIe Ports->Gen2." I did this when I followed his vídeo
- Restarted to check if the DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 still got my presets: Nope...!
- Did everything one more time and restarted
- Did some benchmarking:
- 3DMark Fire Strike: 6737
- 3DMark Cloud Gate: 15.198
- 3DMark IceStorm: 93.470
- Battlefield 1: 1080p, all presets on medium, ~50 fps
At this moment, i'm working so I can't do more tests (Downloading all my steam games to test it later) and see if DIY eGPU Setup 1.35 will keep my presets.
I'm not happy with the results either, but I think there is more I can do to improve the results.
Next week I will continue with the setup improvement and tests.
For those who are curious about my case, I did a mod in a Coolermaster CM 130, it is not ready yet, I will post more photos when it's done.
p.s 1: Sorry about my english
p.s3: More pictures: