2017 Intel NUC7i5BNH [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + W...

Notifications
Clear all

2017 Intel NUC7i5BNH [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win10 [itsage]  

of  2
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@the_livy Can you share the block diagram of the NUC7? I'd love to use my NUC7i5BNH by getting Power Delivery through the eGPU enclosure. Currently I need to use the NUC's own AC power adapter.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
The_Livy
(@the_livy)
Trusted Member

Oh sorry, it seems the diagram I found was from the NUC8 only, I didn't think it would have changed between the two.
Sadly they are different though, see 1.1.4 for the diagrams in both:
NUC7 (Page 21) / NUC8 (Page 6)
to me, it looks a lot like power supply over TB3 should be possible on the NUC8?

edit: Chapter 1.8 sadly only states 5V 3A output on the Thunderbolt port: "The boards support ThunderboltTM 3 with up to 40 Gbps of data throughput, one 4k (60Hz) monitor output, USB3.1 (Gen 2) connection and charging capabilities up to 5V at 3A via the back panel USB Type C connector." (see page 16 for the NUC8) – that's a real bummer, would have been nice to have, I wonder why they didn't make the NUC's capable of that, especially with the misleading block diagram of the NUC8. Sorry for bringing up false hopes!

How To Undervolt Your GPU, Login Screen - GPU Driver Workaround

2017 13-inch MacBook Pro TB [7th,2C,U], macOS 11 (not in regular use with eGPU, mostly for testing)
2019 Intel NUC10i7FNK [10th,6C,U], Windows 10 20H2
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (EVGA GTX1060 3G) - silent mod #1
Aorus Gaming Box 1080 (Gigabyte GTX1070 ITX OC) - Custom Case solution (TBD)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

Thank you for sharing the links to the block diagrams. I agree it looks misleading in the NUC8. There should be arrow/s showing the flow of current. The Block Power provides charging to USB peripherals through the rear USB-C port and the yellow USB-A port in the front.

I tried connecting my NUC7 to the AKiTiO Node Pro's 60W PD Thunderbolt 3 port. It was not able to power on without the AC adapter connected through the DC input port. I even tried again when the Node Pro was fully active while connected to a MacBook Pro through the 15W Thunderbolt 3 port.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2