2017 Intel NUC7i5BNH + RX580 & [email protected] (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win10 1803 [theitsage]  

RSS

theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
June 10, 2018 2:47 am  

My local MicroCenter is clearing out these previous generation NUCs so I picked one up. I have read about the i7 version running too loud and hot for this tiny form factor. Therefore I went with the i5 model. Accessing the internal was straight forward. I was up and running Windows 10 1803 within an hour.

System specs:

NUC7i5BNH - i5-7260U/Plus Graphics 640 iGPU/32GB RAM/512GB SSD

eGPU hardware:

Gaming Box + RX 580 & GTX 1080 + .5m Thunderbolt 3 cable

Hardware pictures:

Installation steps:

Prior to installing the eGPU, I checked and upgraded the Thunderbolt firmware of this NUC. It came with NVM firmware 12. The newest one released in April 2018 is 33. Intel Thunderbolt Software is a requirement for this firmware upgrade. The Thunderbolt FW Update Tool also needs an active connection to a Thunderbolt device.

I installed Nvidia graphics drivers to use the AORUS GTX 1080 Gaming Box first. The software installation went smoothly. The HDMI port from the NUC connected to an LG 4K monitor. I tested internal display mode with this GTX 1080 eGPU by not connecting the LG monitor to any of Gaming Box's video ports. That did not work.

Next was the Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box. AMD XConnect worked much better. Internal display mode worked right away with the LG monitor connected through the NUC's HDMI port. Connecting the LG monitor directly to the RX 580 Gaming Box for external display mode yield very minimal performance gain.

Benchmarks:

The NUC systems have 4 PCI lanes for their Thunderbolt port. Here are the screen captures for AIDA64 and HWiNFO64. The low Memory Write speed in the RX 580 Gaming Box is due to its firmware.

RX 580 eGPU GTX 1080 eGPU

Comments:

This NUC has great build quality and a tiny footprint. It's a pity Apple has yet to make a Thunderbolt 3 Mac mini because this NUC would be a great platform for it.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

MýnÆnglishTáwk, TrDA, nando4 and 2 people liked
ReplyQuote
darsh
(@darsh)
July 3, 2018 11:52 pm  

Interesting build, i things this particular nuc and this particular eGPU are perfect match, better and cost effective than the Hades Canyon NUC. Wondering how it performs with mining and Hackintosh?

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
MýnÆnglishTáwk
(@mynenglishtawk)
Eminent Member
July 4, 2018 3:06 pm  

It looks good. Maybe you could stick that small Intel reckoner onto somewhere on the video board box (to make it into all one clump).

My Homemade Gaming Laptop

My webside showing my laptop

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
hkoster1
(@hkoster1)
July 17, 2018 11:06 am  

Lucky me that I found this post while still struggling to get my eGPU (Sonnet 550/GTX1080Ti) working reliably with my MacBook Pr0. It just happens that I have a recent NUC7i7BNH with Windows 10, and getting this eGPU working as per your description was a breeze. 

The difficult part was finding the right MSVCP100.dll for Unigine Heaven 4.0 in the 2010 version of  Visual C++ redistributable (x86).  With standard settings: FPS = 202, Score = 5090, temperature < 70 deg C.

Soon I will add my system & eGPU details or a build link to this my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
ReplyQuote
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
July 17, 2018 12:41 pm  

@hkoster1 We'd love to see your build and the performance of the NUC7i7BNH + GTX 1080 Ti eGPU. You can follow the build guide template.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

86 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
hkoster1
(@hkoster1)
July 17, 2018 7:47 pm  
Posted by: theitsage

@hkoster1 We'd love to see your build and the performance of the NUC7i7BNH + GTX 1080 Ti eGPU. You can follow the build guide template.

I'm working on it.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member
September 1, 2018 7:59 am  

"Next was the Gigabyte RX 580 Gaming Box. AMD XConnect worked much better. Internal display mode worked right away with the LG monitor connected through the NUC's HDMI port. Connecting the LG monitor directly to the RX 580 Gaming Box for external display mode yield very minimal performance gain."

That is super interesting, if it is possible to build a SFF PC with 2x TB3 ports then I could connect my LG 5K to one, an eGPU to the other, and let the AMD software pipe the GPU through to the screen.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touchbar + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder3) + Win10
2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + [email protected] (Sonnet Breakaway Box) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + GTX1070 (debating 2070 upgrade) @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar + Vega 56 @32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V1) + Win10 & macOS 10.14+

---
LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

ReplyQuote