Intel NUC8i5BEK wit...

Share:

Intel NUC8i5BEK with Razor Core X RTX 2060  

RSS

BarbarySheep
(@barbarysheep)
March 10, 2019 11:43 am  

System specs
- Intel NUC8I5BEK, i5-8259U (4 cores/8 threads), 16GB RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD, 500GB SATA 3 SSD
- 1080p monitor
- Windows 10
- refer to: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15303446 (spoilers)

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

- Razer Core X
- Nvidia RTX 2060 Founders Edition

Hardware pictures

TODO

Installation steps 
1) Download and install the TB3 drivers (for some reason it does not come with these by default and Windows 10 will not install it for you)
2) Use iGPU output to install Nvidia drivers - note you need to have the eGPU connected during installation
3) Use eGPU output and done

Benchmarks
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15303446

medium

high

Comments 

- I upgraded from an Intel NUC7i5BNH (i5-7260U, 2 core) with the same GPU enclosure but with a MSI ARMOR OC 8GB RX 570.
- Intel NUC upgrade: improved general performance (real performance by 50% - i.e. Apex Legends FPS, etc. Syntethic benchmarks didn't see a massive performance). Seemed like the CPU core difference made a big improvement - I used to see a lot of inconsistencies (i.e. it'd always drop) with FPS previously and since then it's been pretty constant FPS.
- RX 570 -> RTX 2060 upgrade: huge performance in FPS, as you'd expect. This combination seems like a good pairing.
- The CPU upgrade felt like it offered a nicer improvement, it seemed like the old CPU did suffer a lot.
- The GPU upgrade showed that Nvidia (or the comparison GPUs in particular) offered much better drivers. The RX 570 would not get recognised until I got to the Windows login screen, where as the RTX 2060 gets instantly recognised and can show the BIOS screen. The RX 570 would also occasionally crash (to put this into perspective, maybe once a week), but the RTX 2060 has not crashed (yet).

I'll edit as I complete the empty sections.

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

theitsage liked
theitsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin
March 10, 2019 11:55 pm  

Nice performance from your eGPU build! How does the cooling system perform in the NUC8i5? I checked one out in person and the cooling fan is large than the NUC7i5.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use

eGPU enclosure buying guide

94 external GPU build guides

ReplyQuote
BarbarySheep
(@barbarysheep)
March 11, 2019 9:46 am  
Posted by: theitsage

Nice performance from your eGPU build! How does the cooling system perform in the NUC8i5? I checked one out in person and the cooling fan is large than the NUC7i5.

Cooling compared to the previous NUC7 is a huge improvement, the fans are much quieter and can remain quiet under light-moderate workloads. This was apparently because of the increase in fan size. I have to confess I did undervolt this (not by that much since it'd go unstable) but not the 7th gen NUC.

What seemed rather alarming was that the CPU temps were around 80c under a 50-60% load. I haven't tested it but it seems like it's going to thermal throttle. Edit: I revisited the undervolting and managed to never get above 75c at 100% CPU. Fans are also very quiet at this temperature.

Either way the CPU improvement was huge (on paper: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-8259U-vs-Intel-i5-7260U/3299vs2993 and in practise) and very noticable.

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote