Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Intel NUC8i5BEK [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 ...

2018 Intel NUC8i5BEK [8th,4C,U] + RTX 2060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [BarbarySheep]  

RSS

BarbarySheep
(@barbarysheep)

System specs
- Intel NUC8I5BEK, i5-8259U (4 cores/8 threads), 16GB RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD, 500GB SATA 3 SSD
- 1080p monitor
- Windows 10
- refer to: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15303446 (spoilers)

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

- Razer Core X
- Nvidia RTX 2060 Founders Edition

Hardware pictures

TODO

Installation steps 
1) Download and install the TB3 drivers (for some reason it does not come with these by default and Windows 10 will not install it for you)
2) Use iGPU output to install Nvidia drivers - note you need to have the eGPU connected during installation
3) Use eGPU output and done

Benchmarks
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15303446

medium

high

Comments 

- I upgraded from an Intel NUC7i5BNH (i5-7260U, 2 core) with the same GPU enclosure but with a MSI ARMOR OC 8GB RX 570.
- Intel NUC upgrade: improved general performance (real performance by 50% - i.e. Apex Legends FPS, etc. Syntethic benchmarks didn't see a massive performance). Seemed like the CPU core difference made a big improvement - I used to see a lot of inconsistencies (i.e. it'd always drop) with FPS previously and since then it's been pretty constant FPS.
- RX 570 -> RTX 2060 upgrade: huge performance in FPS, as you'd expect. This combination seems like a good pairing.
- The CPU upgrade felt like it offered a nicer improvement, it seemed like the old CPU did suffer a lot.
- The GPU upgrade showed that Nvidia (or the comparison GPUs in particular) offered much better drivers. The RX 570 would not get recognised until I got to the Windows login screen, where as the RTX 2060 gets instantly recognised and can show the BIOS screen. The RX 570 would also occasionally crash (to put this into perspective, maybe once a week), but the RTX 2060 has not crashed (yet).

I'll edit as I complete the empty sections.

This topic was modified 6 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Nice performance from your eGPU build! How does the cooling system perform in the NUC8i5? I checked one out in person and the cooling fan is large than the NUC7i5.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
BarbarySheep
(@barbarysheep)

Posted by: itsage

Nice performance from your eGPU build! How does the cooling system perform in the NUC8i5? I checked one out in person and the cooling fan is large than the NUC7i5.

Cooling compared to the previous NUC7 is a huge improvement, the fans are much quieter and can remain quiet under light-moderate workloads. This was apparently because of the increase in fan size. I have to confess I did undervolt this (not by that much since it'd go unstable) but not the 7th gen NUC.

What seemed rather alarming was that the CPU temps were around 80c under a 50-60% load. I haven't tested it but it seems like it's going to thermal throttle. Edit: I revisited the undervolting and managed to never get above 75c at 100% CPU. Fans are also very quiet at this temperature.

Either way the CPU improvement was huge (on paper: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i5-8259U-vs-Intel-i5-7260U/3299vs2993 and in practise) and very noticable.

This post was modified 9 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
schmosef
(@schmosef)

Posted by: @barbarysheep

1) Download and install the TB3 drivers (for some reason it does not come with these by default and Windows 10 will not install it for you)

My system is quite similar to yours.

I recently bought a NUC8i7BEH with a Razer Core X eGPU and Asus GTX 2060 Super GPU.

When it works, it's pretty awesome. And it was working fine, for about 2 weeks. But, for the last three weeks, Windows 10 has been randomly freezing. Sometimes, in the middle of a game, sometimes, just web browsing and sometimes when the computer is idle, with nothing running.

The system just locks up. I have to hold down the power button to turn it off, then restart it. I've already had the NUC exchanged for a new unit with the same result.

I've tried using DDU to uninstall the Nvidia drivers and Intel drivers, then perform a fresh install. It didn't help. I might try a full Windows re-install, soon.

Are you experiencing any issues with your system?

Which TB3 driver are you using? The "legacy" diver or the DCH driver? And which version of the driver? What is the version of your NUC BIOS?

Also, did you install the latest iGPU driver from Intel or just use the driver that Windows gives it?

Lastly, do you have iGPU disabled in Windows Device Manager or just not have anything connected to it?

Sorry, for all the questions. I'm almost out of patience with this issue. I've contacted Intel and have a support ticket, but they are not much help, so far.

This post was modified 3 months ago

PC: Intel NUC8i7BEH 32GB Corsair RAM, 1TB Samsung Evo Plus NVMe, 2TB Seagate SATA SSHD
eGPU: Razer Core X
GPU: RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB

ReplyQuote
jamesm
(@jamesm)

Hey @schmosef

I have a similar setup to you -- but with a NUC8i5BEK instead (exactly the same hardware, different CPU) and  Radeon VII  but still in the  Core X  Enclosure.

My setup had been working flawlessly for months, however I was on the original BIOS (0041) from 2018. Our NUCs share the same BIOS.

I recently updated my machine to the latest BIOS (0073), and that's completely ruined it. Now Windows won't boot up with the eGPU attached -- it hangs at the end of startup, and then reboots or shuts down. If I boot the NUC without the eGPU and then attach it, it sometimes work but crashes randomly like yours.

Unfortunately because the BIOS update changed the management engine version, it won't let me downgrade back to 0041 but only as far back as 0071 which still has the issue. I believe there has been a change to the way that the BIOS handles iGPU -> eGPU handoff / management, and is to blame for the issues.  I too have raised a ticket with Intel but have yet to hear back. I'm incredibly frustrated, as I spent a solid 8 hours diagnosing the issue to determine that it is indeed the BIOS that is the root cause of all the issues. 

I do note that after a clean install of Windows, I can successfully boot in with the eGPU attached if I haven't installed the  AMD Drivers . However installing any version of these, including the ones that used to work (August), the latest (Sept), or older ones (tried many) results in the hanging at the end of the Windows boot and the system crashing if the eGPU is attached. I've also tried every combination of possibly BIOS settings, including disabling all levels of security, fast boot etc and tried the different modes of Thunderbolt security. Within Windows I've tried both the DCH and Legacy Thunderbolt drivers as appropriate for the Security mode to no avail. 

Let me know / please post back if you have any success.

ReplyQuote