Setup & Software Discussions
2018 Intel NUC8i7BEH [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1660 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (HP OMEN Accelerator...

2018 Intel NUC8i7BEH [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1660 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (HP OMEN Accelerator) + Win10 [critikillhit]  

RSS

critikillhit
(@critikillhit)

System specs

- Intel Core i7-8559U
- Intel Iris Plus Graphic 655
- Samsung MZ-V7E250BW SSD 970 EVO 250 GB M.2
- 2x 8GB Kingston HX424S14IB2K2
- 24'' Eizo FS2434 FORIS

eGPU hardware
- HP Omen GA1-1000ng
- MSI GEFORCE GTX 1660 Ti Gaming X 6G

Hardware pictures
Following once I'm allowed to upload

Installation steps

Pretty straightforward with a new win10 setup from USB thumbdrive, installing nvidia drivers with eGPU plugged in. Ran into Code 12 issues on boot until I finished all the win10 updates. Actually this is the most important part of it. Do the win10 updates! 🙂
Now it works fine with the eGPU plugged in on boot. The only issue I'm still having is the eGPU not powering down on shutting down the NUC.

Benchmarks
Going to measure over the weekend

Comments
After almost completely disassembling the Omen Accelerator, I was able to remove the ridiculous stands in order to put it horizontally - resulting in a still large but more compact setup, with the NUC sitting on top.

This topic was modified 8 months ago

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@critikillhit Nice build! Wouldn’t it be nice if the NUC can be powered through its Thunderbolt 3 port? The AC power adapter on most NUCs don’t exceed 100W so Power Delivery through the TB3 enclosure is a perfect use.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote
critikillhit
(@critikillhit)

@itsage I have actually thought about it but then I did not try it. Maybe this would also solve the issue with the NUC not shutting down anymore :twisted:. I would click "shutdown" it shows "shutdown screen" and returns back to explorer/desktop view. Amazing. Anyways, there is still the powercord to pull. Will of course try the NUC powered via eGPU on the weekends. Thanks for that hint!

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Famed Member Admin

@critikillhit Sorry for the confusion. That was my wishful thinking. The NUC can’t power on through the Thunderbolt 3 connection unfortunately.

Best ultrabooks for eGPU use | eGPU enclosure buying guide

ReplyQuote